Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Links
Does Jesus Hate Religion? Kinda, Sorta, Not Really

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:59 pm
Does Jesus Hate Religion? Kinda, Sorta, Not Really

[Working link April 3rd 2016. Please notify us of broken links and inaccurate content.]  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:59 am
WOW!! I don't know if Jesus actually "hates" religion but that guy said how I've felt for years. I could never have put it into words as well as he did but I agree. I really don't know what else to say. I will be watching it again. Glad you posted it. Peace and blessings.  

StrongGirlBong-Soon

9,475 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Contributor 150

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:23 am
As the article went on to explain, Jesus hates false religion, but he upheld true religion; he even instituted rituals himself. We know what the video implied, but non-believers (or people who are unfamiliar with Jesus' words) might be misled to believe in things Jesus didn't actually support.

Quote:
The only problem is, he didn’t. Jesus was a Jew. He went to services at the synagogue. He observed Jewish holy days. He did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets, but to fulfill them (Matt. 5:17). He founded the church (Matt. 16:18 ). He established church discipline (Matt. 18:15-20). He instituted a ritual meal (Matt. 26:26-28 ). He told his disciples to baptize people and to teach others to obey everything he commanded (Matt. 28:19-20). He insisted that people believe in him and believe certain things about him (John 3:16-18; 8:24). If religion is characterized by doctrine, commands, rituals, and structure, then Jesus is not your go-to guy for hating religion. This was the central point behind the book Ted Kluck and I wrote a few years ago.

The word “religion” occurs five times in English Standard Version of the Bible. It is, by itself, an entirely neutral word. Religion can refer to Judaism (Acts 26:5) or the Jewish-Christian faith (Acts 25:19). Religion can be bad when it is self-made (Col. 2:23) or fails to tame the tongue (James 1:26). But religion can also be good when it cares for widows and orphans and practices moral purity (James 1:27). Unless we define the word to suit our purposes, there is simply no biblical grounds for saying Jesus hated religion. What might be gained by using such language will, without a careful explanation and caveats, be outweighed by what is lost when we give the impression that religion is the alloy that corrupts a relationship with Jesus.

[...]

Following Jesus is more than keeping rules, but it’s not less. In one sense, loving Jesus is also all about keeping rules (John 14:15, 21, 23-24). I’m not sure how the Jesus of John 14 fits in the world of Bethke’s poem.

[...]

Too many people hear that as “relationship not rules” when we’ve already seen that Jesus wants us to do everything he has commanded (Matt. 28:20). But if “do” means “do this to earn my favor” then the contrast is very appropriate.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:14 pm
The same religion has He established for you as that which He enjoined on Noah - the which We have sent by inspiration to thee - and that which We enjoined on Abraham, Moses, and Jesus: Namely, that ye should remain steadfast in religion, and make no divisions therein:...
—Quran, 42:13

Islamic Teacher

Water of Fenri

Mystical Bard

17,500 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:24 pm
pixiequeen31
WOW!! I don't know if Jesus actually "hates" religion but that guy said how I've felt for years. I could never have put it into words as well as he did but I agree. I really don't know what else to say. I will be watching it again. Glad you posted it. Peace and blessings.

Did you actually read the rest of the article?  
Links

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games