Welcome to Gaia! ::

A Crafter's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place to showcase your creations, get inspiration, ask and/or answer questions, and just have fun! 

Tags: Crafting, Beading, Drawing, Jewelry, Photography 

Reply Welcome to A Crafter's Guild
Pattern Help! (Crochet)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

0-Azula-0

Benevolent Lover

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:00 am
I've come across this beautiful beanie pattern that's based off of the Harry Potter films and I can't figure out how to read this pattern. A translation / advice is much needed on my part.

Key & Notes:
* HDC- Half Double Crochet
* FPHDC- Front Post Half Double Crochet
* BPHDC- Back Post Half Double Crochet
* ST- Stitch
* REP- Repeat
* Just keep working in a spiral. To start each round just start. DO NOT slip ST and ch 1
* Pay attention in the 4th round. That is written correctly. I liked the way it made the top of the hat look to do it in this count rather than the traditional. But really you can get to a total of 56 stitches any way you like and then continue from there :0)
* For stripe pattern-use main house color for 3 rounds and secondary color for one round throughout the body of the hat.

Directions:

* Make 10 HDC in a loop (use the magic loop method or chain a few and join into a loop)- 10 ST
* Make 2 HDC in each ST around- 20 ST
* Make 1 HDC in the next ST and 2 HDC in the ST after that. REP for the round- 30 ST
* Make 1 HDC in the next 3 ST and 2 HDC in the ST after that. REP for the round- 37 ST
* Make 1 HDC in the next 3 ST and 2 HDC in the ST after that. REP for the round- 46 ST
* Make 1 HDC in the next 4 ST and 2 HDC in the ST after that. REP for the round- 55 ST
* Make 2 HDC in the first ST and 1 HDC in every ST for the rest of the round- 56 ST
* Make 1 HDC per ST for the next 16 rounds (or about as long as you want your hat. The ribbing will fold up so get your ears all covered and everything in this stage :0)
* Now working through the back loop make 1 HDC in each stitch around (this makes the ribbing fold over easier. So if you like one side of your hat better than the other it can fold to the other side by working through the front loop for this round.) in your last round change to your secondary house color and continue in that color for the remainder of the hat
* Now make 1 FPDC in the next 2 ST and 1 BPDC in the 2 ST after that. REP for the next 6 rounds
* Weave in all your ends.
* Make a Pom Pom anyway you like or leave it off. I like to use a pom pom maker. Its an awesome lil plastic contraption that I think every crocheter needs hahaha.
* Tie you Pom Pom onto the top and you are DONE! Good Job! Your hat looks great!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:19 am
If you know how to do the stiches, this doesn't sound too hard, but if you don't, an inexpensive book on 'How to Crochet' showing the stiches will be a big help!

I have a couple of books that show the basic stiches and have some simple patterns using them, I have done none of the patterns (yet), but refer to the stich instructions often!

Half Double Crochet sounds hard to do until you actually do it, then it's easy! The Front Post/Back Post ones are a bit more tricky for me, since I tend to lose track of front and back of my work. gonk  

Emm-Kaye
Captain

Entervixen

Dedicated Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:29 am
I agree with Emm. A good book (the one that helped me finally figure it all out) was Debbie Stoller's Stitch n b***h: The Happy Hooker. It's a pretty common book so it should be easy to find.  
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:02 am
Emm-Kaye
If you know how to do the stiches, this doesn't sound too hard, but if you don't, an inexpensive book on 'How to Crochet' showing the stiches will be a big help!

I have a couple of books that show the basic stiches and have some simple patterns using them, I have done none of the patterns (yet), but refer to the stich instructions often!

Half Double Crochet sounds hard to do until you actually do it, then it's easy! The Front Post/Back Post ones are a bit more tricky for me, since I tend to lose track of front and back of my work. gonk

I guess my only problem is the "Make 10 HDC in a loop" part. Everything I've ever done starts in a normal chain.  

0-Azula-0

Benevolent Lover

kyokat

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:45 pm
You're going to be working in the round. Magic loops or floops (same thing really) are just ways of starting a project in the round but as you work your first stitches into the magic loop, you can pull the tail end and it closes the loop up. Thus getting rid of the hole that would otherwise be in the centre top of your hat.

If you can't find out how to do a magic loop, I'd suggest something like 5-6 chains and slip into your starting chain. This should be enough for 10hdc but without leaving too big a hole at your starting round.  
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:40 pm
kyokat
You're going to be working in the round. Magic loops or floops (same thing really) are just ways of starting a project in the round but as you work your first stitches into the magic loop, you can pull the tail end and it closes the loop up. Thus getting rid of the hole that would otherwise be in the centre top of your hat.

If you can't find out how to do a magic loop, I'd suggest something like 5-6 chains and slip into your starting chain. This should be enough for 10hdc but without leaving too big a hole at your starting round.

Thank you so much. smile  

0-Azula-0

Benevolent Lover

Welcome to A Crafter's Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas