Welcome to Gaia! ::

A Crafter's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place to showcase your creations, get inspiration, ask and/or answer questions, and just have fun! 

Tags: Crafting, Beading, Drawing, Jewelry, Photography 

Reply Welcome to A Crafter's Guild
Helpful books!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sjo_Oransje

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:14 pm
I didn't know if anyone had posted this, but I wondered if anyone had any books for sewing or general needle craft that they liked or that were especially helpful. I thought I would post five of my favorite helpful books in here!

The Complete Encyclopedia of Needlework- Therese de Dillmont:
Honestly, this book has everything. It's humongous too, but it's got over 19 distinctly different arts in it. And it has been reprinted since 1884! I got lucky and found one at a thrift for three dollars, normally it's about twenty five. It is mainly for embroidery, but it has a huge section on knitting, crochet, and tatting (which I want to try). Very good book!

The Complete Book of Sewing- Constance Talbot: This book has a lot of good basics for sewing, It's from the 1940's, and my copy is so old it is falling apart, but it has a few vintage patterns and helps for all around the house. I am sure Singer has a way better book on this, but this one was pretty good.

The Knitting Goddess- Deborah Bergman: This was really fun as an intro to knitting. She tells great stories as well in it. Also the projects are simple but glamorous!

Encyclopedia of Embroidery stitches, including crewel- Marion Nichols: She is a little pretentious in her forward, but don't let that scare you. There are some great step by steps in there for good needlepoint. The Hungarian Stitch is one of my favorites for making pretty bookmarks, and I found it in here.

Teach Yourself Needlepoint- Jo Ippolito Christensen: This book has a lot of great vintage projects in it. It also is very helpful in drafting your own needlepoint projects.

I wish I had more on knitting and crochet, mainly I have inserts for stuff, from magazines, or from the craft store. I have some stuff over ebook too, most of which are out of print sewing books that I would not mind sharing. What all do you guys like book wise? What has been extra helpful to you and your craft of choice?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:43 pm
I found Stitch 'n b***h: The Knitter's Handbook and Stitch 'n b***h: The Happy Hooker to be great books for knitting and crochet. Both of those helped make things click for me.  

Entervixen

Dedicated Lunatic

Sjo_Oransje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:39 pm
entervixen
I found Stitch 'n b***h: The Knitter's Handbook and Stitch 'n b***h: The Happy Hooker to be great books for knitting and crochet. Both of those helped make things click for me.

Nice finds!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:48 pm
Sjo_Oransje
entervixen

Nice finds!

Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears is a good book too, though more dry and not as entertaining as the previously stated books.  

Entervixen

Dedicated Lunatic

chuwchew123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:38 am
My three favorite knitting books are:
Cast On, Bind Off - Cap Sease
Finishing School - Deborah Newton
400 knitting stitches - Potter Craft

Also the website Craftsy has some free web tutorials along with paid ones, and free and paid patterns. I like Craftsy, and it also has crocheting, knitting, quilting, sewing, jewelry, embroidery, paper crafts, and more, it's not just knitting.  
Welcome to A Crafter's Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games