Welcome to Gaia! ::

Depthless Imagination

Back to Guilds

semi-literate minimum roleplay and forum discussions (anime, literature, videogames, art, etc.) Looking for role players and ideas!! 

Tags: role play, fantasy, sci-fi, anime, vampire 

Reply Gaming (Video, Table Top, Card, Board, Etc.) Discussion Forum
D&D: A Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson creation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What is your favorite class?
  Cleric
  Paladin
  Fighter
  Ranger
  Rogue
  Warlock
  Bard
  Wizard
  Barbarian
  Other (please explaine in a post)
View Results

Darth Ghranna
Vice Captain

Unbeatable Genius

14,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:55 pm
Creation:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Dungeons & Dragons or D&D is a fantasy role-playing game (RPG) originally designed by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, and first published in 1974 by Tactical Studies Rules, Inc. (TSR). It has been published by Wizards of the Coast since 1997. It was derived from mini-wargames with a variation of the Chainmail game serving as the initial rule system. D&D's publication is widely regarded as the beginning of modern role-playing games and the role-playing game industry. D&D departs from traditional wargaming and assigns each player a specific character to play instead of a military formation. These characters embark upon imaginary adventures within a fantasy setting. A Dungeon Master serves as the game's referee and storyteller, while also maintaining the setting in which the adventures occur and playing the role of the inhabitants. The characters form a party that interacts with the setting's inhabitants and each other. Together they solve dilemmas, engage in battles and gather treasure and knowledge. In the process the characters earn experience points to become increasingly powerful over a series of sessions. The early success of Dungeons & Dragons led to a proliferation of similar game systems. Despite this competition, D&D remains the market leader in the RPG industry. In 1977, the game was split into two branches: the relatively rules-light game system of Dungeons & Dragons and the more structured, rules-heavy game system of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons or AD&D, the 2nd Edition was published in 1989. In 2000, the original line of the game was discontinued and the AD&D version was renamed Dungeons & Dragons with the release of its 3rd edition with a new system. These rules formed the basis of the d20 System that is available under the Open Game License for use by other publishers. D&D version 3.5 was released in June 2003, with a 4th edition in June 2008. As of 2006, D&D remained the best-known and best-selling role-playing game, with an estimated 20 million people having played the game and more than US$1 billion in book and equipment sales. The game has been supplemented by many pre-made adventures as well as commercial campaign settings suitable for use by regular gaming groups. Dungeons & Dragons is known beyond the game for other D&D-branded products, references in popular culture and some of the controversies that have surrounded it, particularly a moral panic in the 1980s falsely linking it to Satanism and suicide. The game has won multiple awards and has been translated into many languages beyond the original English.
Game Play:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Dungeons & Dragons is a structured yet open-ended role-playing game. It is normally played indoors with the participants seated around a tabletop. Typically, each player controls only a single character, which represents an individual in a fictional setting. When working together as a group, these player characters (PCs) are often described as a 'party' of adventurers, with each member often having his or her own areas of specialty that contributes to the success of the whole. During the course of play, each player directs the actions of his or her character and its interactions with the other characters in the game. This activity is performed through the verbal impersonation of the characters by the players, while also employing a variety of social and other useful cognitive skills, such as logic, basic mathematics and imagination. A game often continues over a series of meetings to complete a single adventure, and longer into a series of related gaming adventures, called a 'campaign'. The results of the party's choices and the overall storyline for the game are determined by the Dungeon Master (DM) according to the rules of the game and the DM's interpretation of those rules. The DM selects and describes the various non-player characters (NPCs), the party encounters, the settings in which these interactions occur, and the outcomes of those encounters based on the players' choices and actions. Encounters often take the form of battles with 'monsters' – a generic term used in D&D to describe potentially hostile beings such as animals, aberrant beings or mythical creatures. The game's extensive rules – which cover diverse subjects such as social interactions, magic use, combat, and the effect of the environment on PCs – help the DM to make these decisions. The DM may choose to deviate from the published rules or make up new ones if they feel it is necessary. Release 3.5 of the three core rulebooks. The most recent versions of the game's rules are detailed in three core rulebooks: The Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Monster Manual. A Basic Game boxed set contains abbreviated rules to help beginners learn the game. The only items required to play the game are the rulebooks, a character sheet for each player and a number of polyhedral dice. The current editions also assume, but do not require, the use of miniature figures or markers on a gridded surface. Earlier editions did not make this assumption. Many optional accessories are available to enhance the game, such as expansion rulebooks, pre-designed adventures and various campaign settings. ~~Wikipedia (I figured it would be a better summary than what I could come up with, on my own.)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:00 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Please discuss the world of D&D be it the original table top RPG or the books, movie and video games that spun off this games momentum. Tell us about how you first got into D&D perhaps your favorite moment, a favorite character, why you like it, why you don't or even some of the crazy conspiracies that that some people have connected to this game franchise. Or perhaps even just discuss the men who created it. However you discuss this subject all I ask is you keep it Gaia TOS. So please make a post I look forward to reading what you guys have to say. This is one subject of discussion that is nearly limitless, like the game itself.  

Darth Ghranna
Vice Captain

Unbeatable Genius

14,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Da Canuck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:15 pm
Well, I was introduced to it a long while ago in video gaming actually. Baldur's Gate 2 to be exact, it's just at the time I didn't fully realize it. It was only until I actually sat down with the dice that things seemed oddly familiar. It's been several years now and I have made quite a few characters, some memorable, some not. My newest idea for one is a bit ridiculous but sometimes the best characters come out of ridiculous ideas.

This one time I tried to screw over the party because I normally dislike playing low level (1-3) campaigns and prefer more mid level stuff (5-8 ) and everyone I play with seems to jump on my case when I want to play at a level where I can better utilize my class specific feats. Being whined into a level 1 campaign I decided to make a pacifist Cleric who was joining up with a mercenary group specifically to save the dying and to be something like a field medic. I thought we'd be murdered no problem, and it seemed that way when we got attacked by bandits and our stupid caster decided to root everyone in place with a spell when the enemy had bows and we didn't. I suppose it didn't turn out that way because I am one who will stay in character no matter what. My character was able to defend himself from two attackers, and I brought several people back from the brink of death with my heal checks including one enemy bandit. It was at this point that the others wanted to attack the bandit camp where I seemed to be the only one who wanted to go for help, and more importantly, to get the proper medical attention to save the bandits life. Having a party split, I carried the unconscious bandit all the way back to the city, got the (literal) cavalry, as well as passed several diplomacy checks in which my cleric swore to the bandit that he would stand by his side and defend him if the mercenaries tried to sentence him to death. Because of this he trusted me, led us to the camp where the cavalry routed the bandits and freed the party members who survived their foolish mission, and oh yeah, I picked up the bandit as a cohort who essentially had a life-debt to me.

So to re-cap: I tried to screw the party over by being a pacifist who would also save the enemy if he could. The results were the bandits were routed, 90% of the party was saved from sure-death (we found out the DM was going to use this one-shot to stage a further campaign and we all were supposed to die to set the mood), and I now had made up for my pacifism by recruiting one of the said bandits who had a level in rogue thus adding another skill monkey to the group as well. Like I said, sometimes the best characters come out of ridiculous ideas, such as my goblin ninja made for the same purpose... If anyone would like to hear about that, or any of my other characters, feel free to ask.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:19 pm
i never once had the chance to play table top but i have read meany books from players campaign who have made it sadly i have not yet tryed and i really wish to play it a version of it how ever do to this is the reason i gotten in to rp.

the only thing that gotten me a bit in bound though not completely are the mmo based around this game how ever it dose not feel like i could ever get close to what i want to experience.  

Guldrin

Liberal Explorer

6,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
Gaming (Video, Table Top, Card, Board, Etc.) Discussion Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items