Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gold Diggers and Pollwhores Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild where you can do polls, polls, and more polls. Whist making friends and competing in numerous free competitions 

Tags: polls, gold, anime, active, friends 

Reply Gold Diggers and Pollwhores
Drove my first 26ftx13"1 truck today

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

have you driven a real truck?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:52 am
Yep havent driven anything that big before. Drove it from Toronto to camp which is about 100km/60mi

Was fun to drive through multilane traffic and such. Wasnt as hard as I expected. its a ~12,600lb truck. Sadly has a top speed of 108kmph, which I basically sat on most of the way.

Have any of you guys driven a truck? What kind?

Note to me a Ram/F150/etc etc is not a truck, although americans seem to call them trucks. We call them ....Utes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ute_(vehicle)  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:55 am
My father is a trucker.

I've only driven a pick up myself. Dodge, but I hate them. I like my little chevy. whee  

Citrus Novii

Anxious Fairy

10,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:01 pm
Citrus Novii
My father is a trucker.

I've only driven a pick up myself. Dodge, but I hate them. I like my little chevy. whee

Yeah a pickup is still what we would call a "ute" basically a truck which is the size of a big car....Aka can take a big load....but can still be used in places of tight corners and what not (which real trucks are limited in).

I dont know why, but when it comes to pickups dodge is one of my faves. I think the ram looks kinda cute. Not really a fan of chevs...well not since about 1970 anyway, there are some nice pre 70s chevs though. Not saying I wouldnt drive a chev, they are okay. Just saying it wouldnt be my first choice. We have a chevy montana van here which I have driven on a couple town runs. Seems to do okay.

When I was younger I used to go on long hauls with one of my uncle truckers. Those trips were always fun.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:07 pm
Sagebomb
Citrus Novii
My father is a trucker.

Yeah a pickup is still what we would call a "ute" basically a truck which is the size of a big car....Aka can take a big load....but can still be used in places of tight corners and what not (which real trucks are limited in).

I dont know why, but when it comes to pickups dodge is one of my faves. I think the ram looks kinda cute. Not really a fan of chevs...well not since about 1970 anyway, there are some nice pre 70s chevs though. Not saying I wouldnt drive a chev, they are okay. Just saying it wouldnt be my first choice. We have a chevy montana van here which I have driven on a couple town runs. Seems to do okay.

When I was younger I used to go on long hauls with one of my uncle truckers. Those trips were always fun.

Figured it was. x3
It's what Sugarbear taught me to drive in, so I can DEFINITELY drive one well, but there's something about little cars I love, maybe it's my speeding problem lol.

But RAMS are definitely sturdy pick ups, and being in one of the biggest pick up states they're very common around here for that reason. Ranches and stuff~

I've never been in one myself, I just know he is one because of this. Also, he started his own business transporting, telling me about it in one of his messages on FBook.  

Citrus Novii

Anxious Fairy

10,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:19 pm
Citrus Novii

Figured it was. x3
It's what Sugarbear taught me to drive in, so I can DEFINITELY drive one well, but there's something about little cars I love, maybe it's my speeding problem lol.

But RAMS are definitely sturdy pick ups, and being in one of the biggest pick up states they're very common around here for that reason. Ranches and stuff~

I've never been in one myself, I just know he is one because of this. Also, he started his own business transporting, telling me about it in one of his messages on FBook.

Yeah Im a pretty big fan of japanese mid sized cars. They can carry a good ammount of stuff, can take a bit of a beating, and still tend to drive pretty well in variable conditions.

Vehicles I have owned/driven a lot =

Toyota celica (87)
Crysler lebaron covertable (92?)
Nissan Primera (94)
Subaru legacy wagon brighon (96).

The toyota...well she had had a hard life...and as such was a lot of problems. The lebaron...had had a tougher life. When I got given her...the back half of the exhaust was only attached by wire....and not attached to the front half. But she still was pretty sturdy.
The nissan, was pretty good all round, no complaints there.
The Subaru, Im not really a subaru fan, but she was a great work wagon.

I have driven a lot more vehicles, but those are the ones I have owned, or at least took care of and drove (Didnt actually own the celica)  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:39 pm
Sagebomb
Citrus Novii

Figured it was. x3

Yeah Im a pretty big fan of japanese mid sized cars. They can carry a good ammount of stuff, can take a bit of a beating, and still tend to drive pretty well in variable conditions.

Vehicles I have owned/driven a lot =

Toyota celica (87)
Crysler lebaron covertable (92?)
Nissan Primera (94)
Subaru legacy wagon brighon (96).

The toyota...well she had had a hard life...and as such was a lot of problems. The lebaron...had had a tougher life. When I got given her...the back half of the exhaust was only attached by wire....and not attached to the front half. But she still was pretty sturdy.
The nissan, was pretty good all round, no complaints there.
The Subaru, Im not really a subaru fan, but she was a great work wagon.

I have driven a lot more vehicles, but those are the ones I have owned, or at least took care of and drove (Didnt actually own the celica)

We're pretty close in the amount of cars driven, I've only driven three cars in my life.
The RAM, my chevy cobalt, and my uncle is teaching me to drive stick on his Isuzu rodeo.

I am very bad at it. XD
Of course, the cobalt I've gotten stuck in ditches like two or three times now so YEAH.
The most recent time sucked the most because it got impounded. But I love my little car. I don't own it yet, but it's going to be put in my name closer to the end of all of this will crap. Good thing too, since it's all paid off and stuff.

I just need new tiressssssssss. gonk  

Citrus Novii

Anxious Fairy

10,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:54 pm
Citrus Novii

We're pretty close in the amount of cars driven, I've only driven three cars in my life.
The RAM, my chevy cobalt, and my uncle is teaching me to drive stick on his Isuzu rodeo.

I am very bad at it. XD
Of course, the cobalt I've gotten stuck in ditches like two or three times now so YEAH.
The most recent time sucked the most because it got impounded. But I love my little car. I don't own it yet, but it's going to be put in my name closer to the end of all of this will crap. Good thing too, since it's all paid off and stuff.

Those are the ones Ive owned. Ive driven a lot XD

Just to name a few off the top of my head. Nissan bluebird, Mitsi Pajero, Toyota rav 4, Toyota hi-ace, ford falcon, mercades e800, lexus (something?), BMW i318, BMW320, Nisan fairlady 280x and 260z, Datsun 260c, datsun 120y. Some 17 person van I cant remember. A smaller moving truck. A school bus. And quite a few more one offs which I cant even think of atm.

being able to drive manual is a really good thing.

I would like to think I am a good driver. The only crash Ive been in was a slow speed crash when I went into someone I didnt see coming around a corner in a one way parking lot lane (they were going the wrong way). Im pretty logical when it comes to things like driving and I have pretty good spatial awareness. I have managed to avoid a lot of closs calls. I have left a few good strips of rubber on the road when breaking hard from people coming out of side streets that lead on to a main road which I drive a lot back home. Sadly sometimes they just come out withough looking, and some of them are pretty blind intersections. *shrugs*

I have driven in 3 countries so far. And the biggest distance was in the US From Cincin to Vegas.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:22 pm
Just driven a sedan and a small suv. :C  

DarkMoonSlayer
Crew

Feral Fatcat

Shannon Kyra Liannanon

Perfect Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:29 pm
Sushi's dad used to be a trucker until he hurt his back :/  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:45 pm
DarkMoonSlayer
Just driven a sedan and a small suv. :C[/quote

fair enough. I mean if you dont need to drive much or dont get out too much then you will be limited in what you drive.

I move around a lot so I get exposed to driving a lot more different things.

For that truck it went like this.

Last friday

My boss: So can you drive a truck
Me: I can give it a shot.
My boss:Okay tomorrow you and X persons will go pick up the trucks, and on monday do X run.

I get to drive them again tomorrow (both the smaller and larger one) for a couple runs, and probally wednesday as well.

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:46 pm
Shannon Kyra Liannanon
Sushi's dad used to be a trucker until he hurt his back :/

Nice, until the back part.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:43 pm
Sagebomb
Citrus Novii

I am very bad at it. XD

Those are the ones Ive owned. Ive driven a lot XD

Just to name a few off the top of my head. Nissan bluebird, Mitsi Pajero, Toyota rav 4, Toyota hi-ace, ford falcon, mercades e800, lexus (something?), BMW i318, BMW320, Nisan fairlady 280x and 260z, Datsun 260c, datsun 120y. Some 17 person van I cant remember. A smaller moving truck. A school bus. And quite a few more one offs which I cant even think of atm.

being able to drive manual is a really good thing.

I would like to think I am a good driver. The only crash Ive been in was a slow speed crash when I went into someone I didnt see coming around a corner in a one way parking lot lane (they were going the wrong way). Im pretty logical when it comes to things like driving and I have pretty good spatial awareness. I have managed to avoid a lot of closs calls. I have left a few good strips of rubber on the road when breaking hard from people coming out of side streets that lead on to a main road which I drive a lot back home. Sadly sometimes they just come out withough looking, and some of them are pretty blind intersections. *shrugs*

I have driven in 3 countries so far. And the biggest distance was in the US From Cincin to Vegas.

>> Well you're just that cool then.
c:

I am a good driver myself, but mostly in high pressure situations. Whenever traffic is lax or slow I've noticed that I kind of drift off and honestly, don't enjoy it as much. I actually hydroplaned for the first time today, totally didn't panic at all and ended out fine. When I blew one of my tires a few months ago, I was just kinda like, "Damn, there went my tire." xD

The only time I ever freaked out was AFTER I wrecked the car back in November last year. I ended up in a huge sticker bush and had to cut my way out because the car was almost on its left side completely. I FREAKED out totally, because my license was in limbo at the time and like tried to push the car out and it was just ridiculous. xD

The roads here in Tx are pretty straight forward, there are a lot of little off roads sure, but the highways will take you whenever you need to go. I'm in between two highways, 71 (death highway it is cheerfully called) and 281, with access highway 2147 connecting the two which is where the restaurant is. c:
But right now they're building new bridges in Marble Falls, they just finished the first one, and now they're building the second one for northbound and southbound traffic, mostly because of the hospital coming up.  

Citrus Novii

Anxious Fairy

10,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:23 am
Citrus Novii

The only time I ever freaked out was AFTER I wrecked the car back in November last year. I ended up in a huge sticker bush and had to cut my way out because the car was almost on its left side completely. I FREAKED out totally, because my license was in limbo at the time and like tried to push the car out and it was just ridiculous. xD

The roads here in Tx are pretty straight forward, there are a lot of little off roads sure, but the highways will take you whenever you need to go. I'm in between two highways, 71 (death highway it is cheerfully called) and 281, with access highway 2147 connecting the two which is where the restaurant is. c:
But right now they're building new bridges in Marble Falls, they just finished the first one, and now they're building the second one for northbound and southbound traffic, mostly because of the hospital coming up.

Nice, yeah Im not worried about water/snow/ice. Ive been fine in all of them. One of the trickiest was vegas roads during rain. Since it only rains like once a year it just becomes a oil slick. Even when I breaked from 20mph I still slid it was pretty crazy.

I love driving on gravel, especially on gravel around hills with no railing. means you really need to focus. And I like focused driving ^_^  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:21 pm
Sagebomb
Citrus Novii

Nice, yeah Im not worried about water/snow/ice. Ive been fine in all of them. One of the trickiest was vegas roads during rain. Since it only rains like once a year it just becomes a oil slick. Even when I breaked from 20mph I still slid it was pretty crazy.

I love driving on gravel, especially on gravel around hills with no railing. means you really need to focus. And I like focused driving ^_^

emotion_brofist
7671-10,000

Citrus Novii

Anxious Fairy

10,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Gold Diggers and Pollwhores

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash