Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
why are you an atheist? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

bleakXdesire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:54 am
i'm an atheist because religon just doesn't make sense. i belive in the scientific(sp?) explaintions of things.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:53 am
bleakXdesire
i'm an atheist because religon just doesn't make sense. i belive in the scientific(sp?) explaintions of things.

- Sounds fair. Plus, there are so many religions that it is hard to figure out which one. And once one could do that, or rather before one could do that, there needs to be some basis of proof for belief in spirituality or mainly the soul. Much less all the other gobbletygook that religion is mixed up with. "Take it on faith." Do they even realize what that means?... Science is good because it is only based on what is actually known to us. If it can't be tested, it's not science. Science has checks and balances. Religion has "goddidit"...  

jayon

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:25 pm
I came to become an atheist when I was searching for god. I was very religious at one point, and I wanted to know all there was about Christianity. But as I found out more about the bible, where it came from, its myths, and its history, I realized it was written by man for man. Eventually all religions came into my veiw as false. Now I just don't believe in anything. But although I think the odds of there being a god are 1 in a bagillion, I can't say that I know for a fact that there isn't something anymore than a scientist can any given theory is a fact. I am a serious atheist, but I still remain open minded.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:07 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

jayon

[Satan]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:09 pm
Heres my personal philosophy. If the Easter Bunny or Santa don't exist how can any kind of deity?" Spirituallity is just phony to me. It is also because I have ASD, which makes it hard for me to cope with faith. I have to have scientific proof for everything.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:04 pm
s0ul caper~
Heres my personal philosophy. If the Easter Bunny or Santa don't exist how can any kind of deity?" Spirituallity is just phony to me. It is also because I have ASD, which makes it hard for me to cope with faith. I have to have scientific proof for everything.

- Atrial Septal Defect? Is there anyway to sew that up? I realize that that would be a very delicate surgery, but surely we have the technology to do so. Either way, that sucks, but that's shouldn't be the reason you are atheist. I'm sure it's not the only one, but just saying.

- I don't understand your logic about the second sentence. Are you saying that there is just as much evidence for either of them? That would make more sense...  

jayon

[Satan]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:00 pm
jayon
s0ul caper~

- Atrial Septal Defect? Is there anyway to sew that up? I realize that that would be a very delicate surgery, but surely we have the technology to do so. Either way, that sucks, but that's shouldn't be the reason you are atheist. I'm sure it's not the only one, but just saying.

- I don't understand your logic about the second sentence. Are you saying that there is just as much evidence for either of them? That would make more sense...
No, its Aspergers Syndrome. I accidentally added the D, I got kind of confused. its just AS. It is a mental disability related to autism. Except, I have the samrt kind of autism. The kind that makes you a logical genuis. 3nodding

P.S. Yes, I am saying that there is not enough evidence for either of them.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:55 pm
s0ul caper~
No, its Aspergers Syndrome. I accidentally added the D, I got kind of confused. its just AS. It is a mental disability related to autism. Except, I have the samrt kind of autism. The kind that makes you a logical genuis. 3nodding

P.S. Yes, I am saying that there is not enough evidence for either of them.

- Well, maybe you can bank on that, who knows.

- Just checking. I thought you meant that, but one can never be sure...  

jayon

star_mouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:52 am
I didn't exactly "become" an atheist, I was born one. My dad saw God as illogical as a young man, and so became an atheist. Then, he married my mother and convinced her into athieism too. Then, lastly, my brother and myself were born to them, and we basically grew up atheist. I am not baptized and I've never been to a church service in my life.

This is not to say that I can't make my own decisions. My friends (who are fairly religious) tell me about these things and I've read bible stories and such as to try and understand christianity. I have also moved on now to learn about other religions as well. And from all of this, I really do think that there is no God, and I can now say this as an informed decision.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:14 am
I never cared for Christianity (which most of my family is) and eventually ended up not believing in any of it, including in any God.

One of my good friends who is an atheist also has Asperger's.  

in the afternoon

Malkuth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:50 am
I have Asperger's Syndrome as well. It is quite like autism, and people with Asperger's are often very intelligent, usually in one particular field. An Aspergian becomes easily obsessed with a particular interest, which leads them to learn a lot about it.

Since childhood, I've been interested in science, and at a very young age learned vague facts about the workings and origins of the universe. While I didn't know as much about the Theory of Evolution or the Big Bang Theory as I do now, I accepted them because they made sense, and because that's what I read happened (now I'm aware of the evidence that supports those theories... so my acceptance of those theories holds some merit now). When introduced to the concept of 'God', I didn't see any reason to accept it, and it seemed nothing more than a fairy tale.

I have heard a lot of myths about how belief in God made people happy--mostly stories about born-again Christians. For a while, rather recently, I was very depressed and so tried to believe in God, thinking it would make me happy. Naturally, I didn't want to be depressed. However, trying to believe in God did anything but help. I have a good friend who is Wiccan, and the Bible quite explicitly states that only those who believe in Christ go to heaven--and the rest to hell. The religion of Christianity entails that God is perfect, omnibenevolent, all-merciful, and perfectly just--so anyone he sents to hell deserves it, any action of his (including sending people to hell) is good, anyone sent to hell couldn't be forgiven by the most merciful being in the universe, and there's no chance God made a mistake by sending someone to hell. I would have to think such horrible things about my Wiccan friend if I accepted Christianity. So I rejected it again.

And to this day, I continue rejecting Christianity. And am over my depression. So everything worked out for the best.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:03 pm
That's good. I've also been better mentally since I became an atheist. I've always liked science as well. For some reason, I just thought it was cool. I used to read all kinds of science magazines and books and watched Bill Nye The Science Guy religiously. I think one cannot help being an atheist if they truly are passionate about science.

Also, some of my family members are Wiccan, and they are treated as outcasts. I think that is terrible. I feel so badly for them. Of course, the ones who mistreated them deny it now, but we all know that they did.  

in the afternoon

[Satan]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:43 pm
in the afternoon
I never cared for Christianity (which most of my family is) and eventually ended up not believing in any of it, including in any God.

Yes, its rare to find someone with Aspergers who isn't. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:29 am
s0ul caper~
in the afternoon

Yes, its rare to find someone with Aspergers who isn't. 3nodding

Interesting. ^^ I suppose because they are highly intelligent?  

in the afternoon

DeathOfSoul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:53 am
I use to be Christian... but then I thought about logical things and most of the things in that religion didn't make any sense. So I began to think for myself agian and became Atheist.

Short story, I know, but I doubt anyone would want to read the looooong version of it sweatdrop heart xd

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff