Welcome to Gaia! ::

Classical Musicians Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Classical, Musician, Band, Orchestra, Choir 

Reply Classical Musicians Guild
I'm pretty sure I am a colouratura soprano...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Artemis_Gayle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:45 pm
Isn't there an age where I finally hit my "mature voice?" My teacher claims it's 24, I'm 22 and I don't think my range will ever be able to sing C4's.

Any colouratura sopranos here?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:11 am
First off, everyone is different, but the general rule is that the fully mature soprano voice is at age 35. For every voice lower, add 5 years. So a contralto is mature at 40, a tenor at 45, and a bass at 50. Which is why so many 40-year-olds are playing 14- and 15-year old ingenues.

Also, voice classification is tricky and often subjective. Depending on which system, you may not fit perfectly into any classification, or you may fit multiple (Fachs). "Coloratura" at its most general means you are good at coloratura--the fast runs of notes so common in Baroque (pretty much any Handel piece is full of coloratura). Usually, coloratura sopranos have the highest range, but they also tend to have lots of low range.

And the highest sopranos tend to have the lowest speaking voices. Most people who've only heard me speak think I'm a contralto.

I'd focus on what roles and role types fit well in your voice, and are age- and skill-appropriate. At 22, you should not be singing Queen of the Night, for example. As you grow both in skill and vocal maturity, some of these roles will change, and that's normal.  

ChrisDaee

Classical Musicians Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff