Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gold Diggers and Pollwhores Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild where you can do polls, polls, and more polls. Whist making friends and competing in numerous free competitions 

Tags: polls, gold, anime, active, friends 

Reply Contests & Quests
April 2014 - Post a animal game -simple - Win 15m Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Can you post a animal pic?
  Of course, right day right animal
  Of course, but I dont know what animal starts with A....
  I cant handle this.
View Results

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:36 pm
Last months comp ended up being a bit more complex that I had time for last month. So this month Im going back to basics. Of course last months comp will be tallied up and posted in due time.

Hmm, make sure to read the whole first post to make sure you understand how I define different animals, and to make sure you dont lose out by repeating a animal on the same or different day.

POST A ANIMAL GAME:

Rules are simple each day you need to post a animal with a name which starts with a specific letter.

1st = A*
2nd = B
3rd = C
10th = J
26th =Z.

Your animal must be a specific species. You may use the scientific species name, or common species name.

GENUS LETTERS DONT COUNT

E.G

Hamiltons frog or Leiopelma hamiltoni would both be correct. But "Frog" would be a failed entry. Note in this case both entries would count for the Letter H, not F or L.

YOU MAY NOT POST A ANIMAL ALREADY POSTED. THIS INCLUDES ON DIFFERENT DAYS. (Aka if I post "African wild dog" on day one then that means they can not be posted again by anyone....not as Pictus, or painted wolf, or ornate wolf etc etc. BUT...Animals which share a similar name but are different can be posted. Aka this animal wouldnt rule out a different kind of wild dog species (Like dingo), wolf species (not that it is a wolf anyways) or even other pictus species Like this (Which is why the pic and name is important).

YOU MUST DECLARE YOUR ANIMALS SPECIES/GENUS/WHAT EVER MAKES IT RELEVANT.

You can post different species of the same genus, as long as they are distinct species. You cannot have subspecies though.

Pic limit is 640 pixels in any direction, if you cant find a smaller image just upload to tinypic.com where you can resize pics and upload them from URLs

Days 27-30 are for me to catch up and get ready for the next comp.

*For april the first you can post pics up till the end of the 2nd day since this comp was late. There will be no extensions on any other day.

WINNER SELECTION:

3 days of the week will be choosen at random (With gaias random number generator) and then entries from the day will be randomly selected as well.

The first selected number will win 10m

The second selected number will win 4m

and third 1m.

*I can play, but I cant win.

CHATTING/QUOTING/ETC is fine. Just one animal entry per day per person, but discussion is highly recomended.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:03 pm
1st = A

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Avicularia avicularia (Pink-toed tarantula)  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:19 pm
Sagebomb

Martes Americana (American marten)

Look how miffin cute this thing is!

((Quoted so you can tell me if I effed this up. XD))  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:58 pm
Lord Redtail Rathan

((Quoted so you can tell me if I effed this up. XD))

Ahh Mustelids, cute animals....but ferocious killers...often able to take down prey larger than themselves. emotion_facepalm Such a conservational problem in NZ where no mustelids are native (stoats and ferrits in that case though).

All in all pretty epic animals....but thats besides the point. That looks like a good entry to me ^_^  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:01 am
It's now the 2nd of April. The animal that'd fit here is my favorite animal. However, i won't be back on for two days. Mind if I post it as an entry?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:05 am
Lord Redtail Rathan

It's now the 2nd of April. The animal that'd fit here is my favorite animal. However, i won't be back on for two days. Mind if I post it as an entry?

You can post your entry for the second (And with the exclusion made for the 1st anyone can post entries for the 1st and 2nd today).

So you can post your B animal now. Though for april 3rd, you could only post on the 3rd. If you cant make it thats fine, its okay to skip a day. Just post again on the next day you can with the appropriate letter for that day.

(Also I accidently edited your post above and removed the quote....doh captain powers, sorry bout that).  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:11 am
2nd = B

Brachypelma boehmei (Mexican Orange Beauty)  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:11 am
Sagebomb
Lord Redtail Rathan

You can post your entry for the second (And with the exclusion made for the 1st anyone can post entries for the 1st and 2nd today).

So you can post your B animal now. Though for april 3rd, you could only post on the 3rd. If you cant make it thats fine, its okay to skip a day. Just post again on the next day you can with the appropriate letter for that day.

(Also I accidently edited your post above and removed the quote....doh captain powers, sorry bout that).

Whoo!

And now, for my favorite animal of all time, which my screen name reflects...

Buteo jamaicensis, the red-tailed hawk, also called "chickenhawk."

Just look at this majestic mofo. I donate when I can to the Rocky Mountain Raptor Preserve. I love Raptors.

User Image  

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:27 am
Lord Redtail Rathan

Just look at this majestic mofo. I donate when I can to the Rocky Mountain Raptor Preserve. I love Raptors.

I worked with a rescue redtail when I worked at a camp in Ohio (back in 09) Im now working in canada. Though Im from NZ...I move around a bit.

Anyways it was one that got a wing injury which was/is irreparable. So it was donated by a rescue group as a education animal (Of course with all the permits since you need those). We had several animals but he was one of the more epic ones. Sadly didnt get any pics with him.

But yeah he was a bit of a handful to care for. One day when I brought him out for a talk, I held the jesse too loose and he walked down my arm off the leather glove, definitly drew a bit of blood with his claws. Though when that happened I calmly ended what I was saying, released him back safely and moved the group on to the next area, so I could look at the claw marks and clean them without anyone really noticing.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:30 am
Sagebomb
I worked with a rescue redtail when I worked at a camp in Ohio (back in 09) Im now working in canada. Though Im from NZ...I move around a bit.

Anyways it was one that got a wing injury which was/is irreparable. So it was donated by a rescue group as a education animal (Of course with all the permits since you need those). We had several animals but he was one of the more epic ones. Sadly didnt get any pics with him.

But yeah he was a bit of a handful to care for. One day when I brought him out for a talk, I held the jesse too loose and he walked down my arm off the leather glove, definitly drew a bit of blood with his claws. Though when that happened I calmly ended what I was saying, released him back safely and moved the group on to the next area, so I could look at the claw marks and clean them without anyone really noticing.

You. I like you. XD

I want to become a falconer, so i can legally handle them. Give me a chance to teach people about them, Using the bird I trapped myself. And how awesome would it be to have a bird-of-prey under your care for a year? XD  

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:48 am
Lord Redtail Rathan

You. I like you. XD

I want to become a falconer, so i can legally handle them. Give me a chance to teach people about them, Using the bird I trapped myself. And how awesome would it be to have a bird-of-prey under your care for a year? XD

This is my fave falcon, which I was trying to find a pic of one I got relativly close to on the top of a mountain I was hiking back in NZ, but its on a external which dosent seem to be working atm.

I definitly believe in well managed captive wildlife for conservational, educational, and management reasons. I could never advocate for taking wildlife captive though unless it was for rehabilitation. Of course young raised in captivity from previously captive managed animals Im okay with (as long as they have all thier needs met including space, food/water, shelter and especially behavioural and social). But Im pretty massive on conservation and dont believe any species should be taken from the wild unless they are not native/endemic/naturally occuring in a area previous to human settlement.

Also, although I could probally name a fave bird for most bird categories, and have worked with several birds. Love many species of birds, and always want to learn more about them. I would still put them in one of my lower categories of animals I would want to work with. I would much rather work with terrestial mammals. But thats just more of a personal passion. I would definitly love to work in bird conservation.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:59 am
Sagebomb
Lord Redtail Rathan

You. I like you. XD

This is my fave falcon, which I was trying to find a pic of one I got relativly close to on the top of a mountain I was hiking back in NZ, but its on a external which dosent seem to be working atm.

I definitly believe in well managed captive wildlife for conservational, educational, and management reasons. I could never advocate for taking wildlife captive though unless it was for rehabilitation. Of course young raised in captivity from previously captive managed animals Im okay with (as long as they have all thier needs met including space, food/water, shelter and especially behavioural and social). But Im pretty massive on conservation and dont believe any species should be taken from the wild unless they are not native/endemic/naturally occuring in a area previous to human settlement.

Also, although I could probally name a fave bird for most bird categories, and have worked with several birds. Love many species of birds, and always want to learn more about them. I would still put them in one of my lower categories of animals I would want to work with. I would much rather work with terrestial mammals. But thats just more of a personal passion. I would definitly love to work in bird conservation.

Being a falconer actually helps in that aspect. You train a bird to hunt during that vulnerable stage when they're on their own. You have them for a year, then release them. That's how they work. It actually helps keep the population alive.  

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:12 am
Lord Redtail Rathan

Being a falconer actually helps in that aspect. You train a bird to hunt during that vulnerable stage when they're on their own. You have them for a year, then release them. That's how they work. It actually helps keep the population alive.

So you are saying trapping/taking a bird from the wild, and training it, and then releasing it will make it a better hunter/wild survivor than than allowing for natural selection and wild instinct? Does that not increase reliance on humans, as well as decrease thier natural fear of human structures and activities? Is this a trait you want them to pass onto thier offspring?

Or is is better to encourage as many people to catch and train as many wild birds as possible? Just trying to understand your angle? But Im all about removing the human aspect of species managment, because its when animals feel safe around people that they are more likly to do things which get them killed (like removing fear or roads/machinery/dogs or cats/electrical stuffs etc). Aka Im a hands off unless hands are required conservationist. Kind of rewilding if you know much about that concept.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:20 am
Sagebomb
Lord Redtail Rathan

So you are saying trapping/taking a bird from the wild, and training it, and then releasing it will make it a better hunter/wild survivor than than allowing for natural selection and wild instinct? Does that not increase reliance on humans, as well as decrease thier natural fear of human structures and activities? Is this a trait you want them to pass onto thier offspring?

Or is is better to encourage as many people to catch and train as many wild birds as possible? Just trying to understand your angle? But Im all about removing the human aspect of species managment, because its when animals feel safe around people that they are more likly to do things which get them killed (like removing fear or roads/machinery/dogs or cats/electrical stuffs etc). Aka Im a hands off unless hands are required conservationist. Kind of rewilding if you know much about that concept.

Even birds that are kept in captivity don't trust everyone. Also, not everyone is allowed. The process is lengthy and even when you complete the process, you can still be denied. The idea is to help the bird at the vulnerable age survive. Natural selection is great an all, but sometimes that doesn't cut it. human interference is a kind of natural selection.

I'd rather help out animals I love survive, than do nothing and possibly watch their numbers dwindle.

The requirements for the bird you're allowed to trap are strict. Doing otherwise is a HUGE crime. Felony level. And you're constantly checked on.  

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

KhanaRi

Noob

4,500 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:49 am

Nene Goose - Branta/ Branta sandvicensis.  
Contests & Quests

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff