Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:39 am
Quote:
5. You awaken in a place devoid of color, flat and featureless, the earth made of pebbled stones. A track is beaten through them that suggests the passage of many, many hooves, although it is utterly silent and there are no signs of life to be seen. You hear cold, mournful wind, but you do not feel it: the air is still and cool. A strange, smooth-sided tower rises in the distance and glows from within with a light like the moon. If you approach it, you find it surrounded with strange symbols, but touching it hurts--unless you are a Legendary, in which case it triggers floods of ancestral memory, not just from your own race (as expected), but from all of them. You remember snippets of lives lived by dozens of Kin of all types.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.He was underwater - under crystalline clear water, the shadows of tree branches moving lazily overhead. Fish, eels, salamanders wriggled by, their movements usually made clandestine by the murky waters of the swamp suddenly on full display. As he kicked after them, his attention was suddenly drawn away by a familiar voice. It must be her, he thought, half aware that this dream was a memory. The shadow of the crane that darted by seemed to lend this theory credence, but why is she calling me -

"Father," a familiar voice, no longer disguised by his slumber, said quietly into his ear. Its source nudged his head. "Father, wake up."

The stag woke slowly, first gently stretching himself where he lay. For a moment, his muscles felt as though they hadn't seen much use in some time, and he thought he was again covered in leaves and windswept detritus - but it was only a moment, and passed quickly as he pulled himself upright. As he opened his eyes, the stag heard a quiet, shocked intake of breath.

Wildflower Breeze had lived alone, without the company of his son, since the great flood some seasons past. In that time, a lot of things had happened to him, not the least of which was his personal visit with the motherfather for his promotion from average citizen to brilliant-eyed stag, with all its included abilities and duties.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.The change was, naturally, sort of startling to the son who hadn't seen him since before it had happened. He'd heard and told the tales, both as accompaniment and more recently on his own, enough times that he understood immediately what these changes must mean. With an incredulous, playful smile growing on his face, the son asked, "So, you're one of those figures of legend now - a wise and mighty stag? Have you vanquished any forces of evil yet, or blessed the illness out of any maidens on the edge of death?"

"Not vanquished, per se," Breeze said absently, his mind taking a longer to gain traction than usual that... morning? "Where exactly are we," he muttered aloud, turning his gaze from his son and surveying the uninspiring horizon. "Where's the wind?"

The young buck shrugged. "Nowhere, as far as I can tell. The scenery's about the same everywhere I've seen, too - I did a bit of a survey while you were resting, and the only thing around here that's any different is that standing stone there," he concluded with a gesture.

Breeze turned sharply to his son. "You let me sleep, while you hared about in an unknown, possibly dangerous, place? What were you thinking?"

"That you looked like you could use the rest," he replied calmly. "I circled you, so I didn't leave you unguarded," he added, expecting this to pacify his elder.

Breeze stared mutely for a few seconds, mouth working wordlessly. His son thinking of his protection was about as backwards an idea as there was! Since when was that his job? Breeze looked - really looked - at his son, for the first time in a long while.

Motes-in-Moonlight had not suffered as dramatic a physical or spiritual transformation as his father, but to his father's eye a transformation had indeed taken place. His movements and words radiated a confidence and surety that had been lacking before. His gaze did not waver, his posture was easy - life on his own had been made him harder. All in all, the boy was looking very healthy, very mature, very... adult, really. It was hardly fair to call him a boy anymore.

Motes' ears flicked gently under his father's regard.

With a sigh, the stag nodded his quiescence and apology. "It has been a long time," he said, carefully, to explain himself, perhaps to change the subject.

Motes tilted his head. "It really has, I guess," he said, then nodded slightly.

There were a few minutes of awkward silence and shuffling of hooves before they both spoke at the same time;
"But anyways, this tower -"
"About that stone you mentioned -"

There was another pause, then Breeze gestured to Motes to continue.

"It's the only thing around here other than the ground and the sky," he said wryly, "And it gets stranger than that. I suggest we head over there and find out just what's going on."

"I was going to suggest that myself," Breeze admitted. "Lead the way, if you will?"

---

The path worn in the (utterly strange, but also utterly boring) pebbly ground was barely discernible except under careful scrutiny. Its course wavered a little behind them, but from where they had met to the tower, it was fairly straight.

"The path suggests both presence and movement," Breeze insisted firmly, "either to, or from, this tower, by many, many hooves. Where are the people?"

"I swear, I haven't seen a soul," Motes insisted with conviction. "For all the wind we can hear, we can't feel a thing - this path could be ancient for all we know, since there's apparently nothing to disturb it - except for us, now."

The tower itself rose, glowing, from the level ground straight into the (perhaps overcast, perhaps discolored) sky. A presence that should have felt huge, looming, and ominous, it was somehow softened by its delicate luminescence. Graven all over with strange symbols, it was if the moon had sent a strange envoy to this strange land, somehow failing completely to account for the language barrier.

"And we've circled around this dratted thing five times now trying to make some sense of it, with no luck. Are you sure it's not just someone's misguided art project?"

"They must have some meaning," the stag insisted, "it's too large and too popular for it to have been a simple art piece." He peered peevishly at the nearest sigil. "Whoever carved this had a very good reason, if only we could figure it out," he breathed, leaning in closer to examine the marks, and accidentally -  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:13 am
Brushing the snow off the stone with his nose, he then stood and regarded the symbols etched there gravely. It was a grave marker, the site where one great warrior had come to rest. The name they had worked so hard to earn was almost illegible now, a fading memory of past valor that was now nothing more than a landmark for passing travelers.

The buck sighed, shaking the snow off his back scales. Not for the first time, he wondered at the futility of his peoples' constant fight for a name. All their effort to be recognized, to have some identity, some value, assigned to them, and for what? To be forgotten, nameless again in death? The whole struggle seemed so -  

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:27 am
"so pointless," she sighed - or mumbled, really, in exasperation around the binding she was wrapping around the buck's leg.

"But everybody was competing in that one - everybody! Even Grasstail, and you know he doesn't run just any old race," the buck protested animatedly, though she noted that he held his injured leg very, very still. "If I was ever going to prove how good I was, it was then!"

"Well, you sure proved something, but I don't think it was your skill," the doe said, rolling her eyes as she finished wrapping the hide around the branches and sealing it with resin.

"Well," the buck said, And trailed off, feeling himself hopelessly defeated by one fateful misstep. "I guess that ruins any chance of... of, anything," he mumbled, suddenly unable to look at her.

She suddenly realized why he'd run that hopeless race. "You idiot," the healer said with a smile, and nosed his thigh to get his attention again. "I already -"  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:44 am
"love you," his mother sighed.

With his head pressed against her neck and shoulder, he could hear just how labored her breathing was.

"I will always love you," she repeated.

The sobs welled up in his chest, and he bit them down; the tears filled his eyes, but he dared not weep.

"I must rest now," she said slowly, "and you must go."

"I love you too," he whispered, but could speak no more. He pressed himself to her harder, wishing that he did not have to go, that he could feel the fullness of his grief now - but he pulled away and rose to his feet. He had to sing tonight, and he could not do that if he was choked with tears. He had hoped - and she had so longed to hear him - the walk had not seemed so far -

The performance could not be delayed. He leaned towards her one last time, to kiss her forehead, all the heartfelt farewell he could muster without breaking. She sighed and closed her eyes for the last time with a peaceful smile.

He turned and walked, sedately, across the sands to the fire that marked the momentous occasion. He would sing, and sing his finest. Sing for life, for love, and for -  

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:12 pm
her hoof tapped a steady, impatient rhythm on the stone. The world around her was dim with cold as far as could be seen - her friend was late.

She felt very cold and alone in the empty corridor, though her bat was clinging fast to her back, as always. His solid weight was a reassuring burden, and wait why was he turning to look behind her.

The chest-marked doe turned, and saw the heat of another approaching - and heard far more chittering than just her friend's bat could produce on its own.

"Sorry," she panted, "but one of these little things almost fell off on the way here and of course I couldn't let that happen and what do I do with them," the younger doe wailed in a rush. The cause of her alarm was obviously the newborn bats clinging to both her own hide and the fur of their mother, crawling around and investigating every inch they could reach.

"Well, their mother should do most of the work," she told her friend calmly. "They'll learn to fly on their own soon enough, and then you'll probably not be their top choice for a perch anymore," she added with a laugh. "Honestly, you're quite lucky - I can't remember the last time someone's bat trusted them enough to birth right on their backs."

"Not very lucky about all the messes and the noise, I think," the second doe said crossly, though the effect was somewhat ruined as one of the baby bats yawned and laid itself down for a nap right on top of her head. "Honestly, I thought you'd have better advice than to just -"  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:22 pm
wait," he cried, "You forgot your -

shell's cracking!" he squealed, and then his mate was -

running water thundered deep beneath them but the warmth of the herd was -

reassuring it wasn't, but hopefully no more of the snowy hole would collapse in -

the night was dark and cool sweet and the company was oh so much sweeter, and they were -

all running, running as fast as their legs could carry them, they were all but flying across -

the grass was never visible for very long on the mountains but -

when it was over, the colt peered out of his hiding place and called, -

"Father," a familiar voice whispered urgently, "Father, please wake up."  

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

Roleplaying

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items