characters:

WILDFLOWER BREEZE
            One of the Motherfather's blessed stags. Often quite silly, but a good fellow, with a noble heart.

JOKES-WITH-BEES
            A kind and gentle soul who'd sooner let you snap his neck than cause offense or harm. A lover of puns and jokes.

A quiet glen, just starting to burn with Autumn's fire. The time of plenty is not yet over, but the cold breath of Winter's hardship can be felt in the air.

WILDFLOWER BREEZE is foraging idly. JOKES-WITH-BEES, in an uncharacteristic state of agitation, wanders in from left and hunts about the trees until he spots the stag.

JOKES-WITH-BEES
            Ah, sir! You are exactly the sort of person I've been looking for. Please, I need your help.

WILDFLOWER BREEZE
            He startles.
            What's this? What is it you need, son?

JOKES-WITH-BEES
            Well, sir, I've known a doe of late -

WILDFLOWER BREEZE
            It's hard to think of anyone who hasn't met at least one doe.

JOKES-WITH-BEES
            I mean that I have known a doe, sir.

WILDFLOWER BREEZE
            Ah, you mean intimately. I see. Presumably you know her personally as well?

JOKES-WITH-BEES
            Distracted.
            Eh, somewhat? It's just, now that I have - I have, I'm worried she might be... with child.

WILDFLOWER BREEZE
            Just the one?

JOKES-WITH-BEES tentatively smiles.

WILDFLOWER BREEZE
            She is.

JOKES-WITH-BEES
            But - how can you know?

WILDFLOWER BREEZE
            Through the divine magic of having been asked to perform many, many blessings. What sort would you like? Health is a given, but what about character? Kindness, generosity, perhaps courage or cunning? Maybe you'd like -

JOKES-WITH-BEES
            Please, sir, just... patience, and love, and health, sir. ... That's the best that anyone could want and hope for, isn't it?

WILDFLOWER BREEZE
            A beat of silence.
            True. Very true - well said. bring her a piece of this mint, then, and all will be well.

JOKES-WITH-BEES
            Visibly sags with relief, smiles in earnest.
            Thank you - thank you so, so much. I have nothing to give you for this now -

WILDFLOWER BREEZE snorts.

JOKES-WITH-BEES
            No, I insist. If we ever meet again, and there is some service I can render you -

WILDFLOWER BREEZE
            Then you'll walk to the ends of the world to repay me? Your happiness is enough. Now, go back to that nice doe you know so well, before that wilts.

JOKES-WITH-BEES
            Now eager to be off, he hurries off stage left, looking back every few steps to call a few more words over his shoulder.
            Ah, I will! I'm off. Thank you again! Goodbye!

WILDFLOWER BREEZE watches him go, then sighs wearily and begins foraging again, drawing to the right as the curtain closes.