Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply News with a Christian perspective
Neil deGrasse Tyson Says He's Not Anti-Christian

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:15 am
Neil deGrasse Tyson Says He's Not Anti-Christian  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:53 pm
Aha...I see they conveniently left out the other tweet he made... Nor did he comment on it, either. The one he commented on wasn't all that inflammatory, the other was a bit more rude.

Really though, I honestly don't see how he can say in total honesty that he's just so surprised that so many people got upset with him. Like really? Whether he meant them in a rude manner or not, when posting stuff like that, it shouldn't really come as a surprise that it rubbed people the wrong way. ._.

That being said though, I don't really feel it was something to get all up in arms about. When it comes to celebrating Christmas, I feel like getting angry and upset with people for mocking the holiday defeats the purpose of celebrating the Christian aspect of it. We shouldn't spend our time fighting and arguing with the secular world about the holiday, we should spend it honoring God instead.  

Jewelies

Friendly Survivor

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:10 pm
Jewelies
Aha...I see they conveniently left out the other tweet he made... Nor did he comment on it, either. The one he commented on wasn't all that inflammatory, the other was a bit more rude.

Really though, I honestly don't see how he can say in total honesty that he's just so surprised that so many people got upset with him. Like really? Whether he meant them in a rude manner or not, when posting stuff like that, it shouldn't really come as a surprise that it rubbed people the wrong way. ._.

That being said though, I don't really feel it was something to get all up in arms about. When it comes to celebrating Christmas, I feel like getting angry and upset with people for mocking the holiday defeats the purpose of celebrating the Christian aspect of it. We shouldn't spend our time fighting and arguing with the secular world about the holiday, we should spend it honoring God instead.

The problem here isn't so much Christmas, but his general attitude and the exposure his attitude is allowed through the media. He has made some very antagonistic remarks about Christianity before. When he says he is not anti-christian his words say something else. We are called to: ...demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5). That is why we address the faulty claim of the secular world. It is not fighting and arguing, but correcting and being salt. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:37 pm
Garland-Green

The problem here isn't so much Christmas, but his general attitude and the exposure his attitude is allowed through the media. He has made some very antagonistic remarks about Christianity before. When he says he is not anti-christian his words say something else. We are called to: ...demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5). That is why we address the faulty claim of the secular world. It is not fighting and arguing, but correcting and being salt. 3nodding
Oh, I see. I didn't know that he's made other comments before now. I actually only knew about those particular comments about Christmas because a person I know was talking about it. Yeah, then I definitely don't believe him that he wasn't trying to be snide.

I do see where you're coming from. I don't have a problem with people standing up for God's word - it's what we should do. What I more meant was when people allow themselves to lash out in anger rather than approach the situation with calmness. Feeling angry is, of course, very understandable, but if we lash out in that anger, it just adds more fuel to the fire and gives the people who make inflammatory comments exactly what they're looking for. If we allow ourselves to get so caught up in bickering and arguing just for the sake of being right, then we don't glorify God. That's what I was trying to say.  

Jewelies

Friendly Survivor

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:56 pm
Jewelies
Garland-Green

Oh, I see. I didn't know that he's made other comments before now. I actually only knew about those particular comments about Christmas because a person I know was talking about it. Yeah, then I definitely don't believe him that he wasn't trying to be snide.

I do see where you're coming from. I don't have a problem with people standing up for God's word - it's what we should do. What I more meant was when people allow themselves to lash out in anger rather than approach the situation with calmness. Feeling angry is, of course, very understandable, but if we lash out in that anger, it just adds more fuel to the fire and gives the people who make inflammatory comments exactly what they're looking for. If we allow ourselves to get so caught up in bickering and arguing just for the sake of being right, then we don't glorify God. That's what I was trying to say.
Then we are in accord. ^^ Being angry often makes people say the wrong things, and as you said lash out and attack the person instead of what is being said.  
News with a Christian perspective

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games