Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply News with a Christian perspective
Holy Altar Constructed For Third Jewish Temple

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:22 pm
Holy Altar Constructed For Third Jewish Temple  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:42 pm
eek exclaim exclaim exclaim

I almost can't believe it. whee

Quote:
“This announcement will surely excite prophecy watchers around the
world,” he said. “Regardless of one’s eschatological leanings, every sincere
student of the Word of God knows there are at least hints, if not clear
declarations, of something happening just before the return of the Lord that
involves altar sacrifices and the distinct possibility of a rebuilt temple on the
Temple Mount.”

Myself included. Consider me excited.

Just like in Ezrah's day, YHWH will have the final political say.

Ezra 1:1-2 (NIV)

1 In the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the Lord
      spoken by Jeremiah, the Lord moved the heart of Cyrus king of Persia to
      make a proclamation throughout his realm and also to put it in writing:

2 “This is what Cyrus king of Persia says:

“‘The Lord, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth
      and he has appointed me to build a temple for him at Jerusalem in Judah

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:07 pm
The Temple Institute - The Stone Altar Project  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:10 pm
Blueprints for The Holy Temple  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

ChibiHigh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:05 pm
I think I have my signs mixed up. Is the rebuilding of the temple the first major sign of the end times, or was that Israel becoming a nation?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:13 am
ChibiHigh
I think I have my signs mixed up. Is the rebuilding of the temple the first major sign of the end times, or was that Israel becoming a nation?

I would agree that Israel becoming a nation is one of the first signs of the end times. No nation of Israel - no temple. A legitimate temple always has to be built in Israel and if I have grasped it correctly only in Jerusalem. Israel is as someone put it 'God's timepiece.'

"Who has heard such a thing? Who has seen such things?
Shall the Earth be made to give birth in one day?
Or shall a nation be born at once?
For as soon as Zion was in labor, she gave birth to her children."
(Isaiah 66:8.)

Jesus on worship;

John 4:19-24
“Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.”

“Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

ChibiHigh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:45 am
Garland-Green
ChibiHigh

I would agree that Israel becoming a nation is one of the first signs of the end times. No nation of Israel - no temple. A legitimate temple always has to be built in Israel and if I have grasped it correctly only in Jerusalem. Israel is as someone put it 'God's timepiece.'

"Who has heard such a thing? Who has seen such things?
Shall the Earth be made to give birth in one day?
Or shall a nation be born at once?
For as soon as Zion was in labor, she gave birth to her children."
(Isaiah 66:8.)

Jesus on worship;

John 4:19-24
“Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.”

“Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

Ah, okay thank you.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:48 pm
Wait, a stone altar...? I don't know what to make of that. neutral

My question is: is it a temporary altar until they build a bronze one...? Because when it comes to the temples (and the tabernacle) there's only two: one bronze, one gold.

YHWH commanded a wooden altar, overlaid with bronze, for burning animal sacrifices. The tabernacle in the desert, the first temple (Solomon built) in Jerusalem and the second temple (Ezra built) in Jerusalem, all three, had a wooden altar overlaid with bronze for burning animal and grain offerings. There was also a wooden altar overlaid with gold for offering fragrant incense (inside the temple, and the tabernacle, itself). Neither of them stone altars.

Tabernacle

Bronze Altar (for burning animal sacrifices)

• Exodus 27:1-7 (NIV)

The Altar of Burnt Offering

27 “Build an altar of acacia wood, three cubits[a] high; it is to be square,
      five cubits long and five cubits wide.[b] 2 Make a horn at each
      of the four corners, so that the horns and the altar are of one piece, and
      overlay the altar with bronze
      .3 Make all its utensils of bronze—its pots
      to remove the ashes
      , and its shovels, sprinkling bowls, meat forks and
      firepans
      . 4 Make a grating for it, a bronze network, and make a bronze
      ring at each of the four corners of the network. 5 Put it under the ledge of the
      altar so that it is halfway up the altar. 6 Make poles of acacia wood for the
      altar and overlay them with bronze. 7 The poles are to be inserted into the
      rings so they will be on two sides of the altar when it is carried.

Footnotes:

a. Exodus 27:1 That is, about 4 1/2 feet or about 1.4 meters
      b. Exodus 27:1 That is, about 7 1/2 feet or about 2.3 meters long and wide

Gold Altar (for burning incense)

• Exodus 30:1-7 (NIV)

The Altar of Incense

30 “Make an altar of acacia wood for burning incense. 2 It is to be
      square, a cubit long and a cubit wide, and two cubits high[a]—its horns of
      one piece with it. 3 Overlay the top and all the sides and the horns with
      pure gold
      , and make a gold molding around it. 4 Make two gold rings
      for the altar below the molding—two on each of the opposite sides—to hold
      the poles used to carry it. 5 Make the poles of acacia wood and overlay them
      with gold. 6 Put the altar in front of the curtain that shields the ark of the
      covenant law—before the atonement cover that is over the tablets of the
      covenant law—where I will meet with you.

7 “Aaron must burn fragrant incense on the altar every morning when he
      tends the lamps
      Footnotes:

Exodus 30:2 That is, about 1 1/2 feet long and wide and 3 feet high or
      about 45 centimeters long and wide and 90 centimeters high

• Exodus 40:5-6 (NIV) (placement of the altars)

5 Place the gold altar of incense in front of the ark of
      the covenant law
      and put the curtain at the entrance to the tabernacle

6 “Place the altar of burnt offering in front of the
      entrance to the tabernacle
      , the tent of meeting
      ;

First Temple (built by Solomon)

• 1 Kings 8:64 (NIV)

64 On that same day the king consecrated the middle part of the courtyard in
      front of the temple of the Lord, and there he offered burnt offerings, grain
      offerings and the fat of the fellowship offerings, because the bronze altar
      that stood before the Lord was too small to hold the burnt offerings, the grain
      offerings and the fat of the fellowship offerings.

Golden Altar (for burning incense)

• 1 Kings 7:48 (NIV)

48 Solomon also made all the furnishings that were in the Lord’s temple:

the golden altar
      ;

the golden table on which was the bread of the Presence;

Second Temple

• Ezra 3:2-6 (NIV)

2 Then Joshua son of Jozadak and his fellow priests and Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel and his
      associates began to build the altar of the God of Israel to sacrifice burnt offerings on it,
      in accordance with what is written in the Law of Moses the man of God. 3 Despite their
      fear of the peoples around them, they built the altar on its foundation and sacrificed burnt
      offerings on it to the Lord, both the morning and evening sacrifices. 4 Then in accordance with
      what is written, they celebrated the Festival of Tabernacles with the required number of burnt
      offerings prescribed for each day. 5 After that, they presented the regular burnt offerings, the
      New Moon sacrifices and the sacrifices for all the appointed sacred festivals of the Lord, as well
      as those brought as freewill offerings to the Lord. 6 On the first day of the seventh month
      they began to offer burnt offerings to the Lord
      , though the foundation of the Lord’s temple
      had not yet been laid

Mention of Incense

• Nehemiah 13:4-5 (NIV)

4 Before this, Eliashib the priest had been put in charge of the storerooms of the house of our
      God. He was closely associated with Tobiah, 5 and he had provided him with a large room
      formerly used to store the grain offerings and incense and temple articles, and also the tithes of
      grain, new wine and olive oil prescribed for the Levites, musicians and gatekeepers, as well as
      the contributions for the priests.

The second temple passages don't specify gold/bronze altars, but knowing they did everything as "is written in the Law of Moses" suggests that the first altar they built was the bronze altar to sacrifice burnt offerings. That's the one that goes outside the temple. And if there is incense, then there is a golden altar too (once they got around to building the temple itself) because that was the instruction in the Law of Moses.

Stone altars are what were used before there was a designated place to offer sacrifices (ergo, "Adam, Cain, Noah, Abraham, and Jacob" building stone altars). Not even the tabernacle was around then in their generations—the tabernacle is what YHWH commanded Moses to build.

On the one hand, the temple described in Ezekiel's prophecy fails to mention all but one material (wood) that one of the altars is made out of. Doesn't say anything about bronze or gold. The following verses talk about an altar in front of the temple (thus outside of the temple):

• Ezekiel 40:45-47 (NIV)

45 He said to me, “The room facing south is for the priests who guard the
      temple, 46 and the room facing north is for the priests who guard the
      altar
      . These are the sons of Zadok, who are the only Levites who may
      draw near to the Lord to minister before him.”

47 Then he measured the court: It was square—a hundred cubits long and a
      hundred cubits wide. And the altar was in front of the temple.

Since it's the altar in front of the temple (outside of the temple, instead of inside the temple), this would be the bronze one—based on precedent. But it doesn't say it's bronze :l Is this why they're making it out of stone? @_@

Other verses about the altars in (and outside of) the Third Temple:

• Ezekiel 41:21-22 (NIV)

21 The main hall had a rectangular doorframe, and the one at the front of the
      Most Holy Place was similar. 22 There was a wooden altar three
      cubits[a] high and two cubits square[b]; its corners, its base[c] and its sides
      were of wood. The man said to me, “This is the table that is before the Lord.”

Footnotes:

a. Ezekiel 41:22 That is, about 5 1/4 feet or about 1.5 meters
      b. Ezekiel 41:22 Septuagint; Hebrew long
      c. Ezekiel 41:22 Septuagint; Hebrew length

This one should be the gold altar (since it's inside the temple).

Chapter 42 doesn't mention an altar.

Chapter 43:

• Ezekiel 43:13-22 (NIV)

The Great Altar Restored

13 “These are the measurements of the altar in long cubits,[a] that cubit
      being a cubit and a handbreadth: Its gutter is a cubit deep and a cubit wide,
      with a rim of one span[b] around the edge. And this is the
      height of the altar
      : 14 From the gutter on the ground up to the lower ledge
      that goes around the altar
      it is two cubits high, and the ledge is a cubit
      wide.[c] From this lower ledge to the upper ledge that goes around the altar it
      is four cubits high, and that ledge is also a cubit wide.[d] 15 Above that, the
      altar hearth
      is four cubits high, and four horns project upward from the
      hearth. 16 The altar hearth is square, twelve cubits[e] long and twelve cubits
      wide. 17 The upper ledge also is square, fourteen cubits[f] long and fourteen
      cubits wide. All around the altar is a gutter of one cubit with a rim of half a
      cubit
      .[g] The steps of the altar face east.”

18 Then he said to me, “Son of man, this is what the Sovereign Lord says:
      These will be the regulations for sacrificing burnt offerings and splashing
      blood against the altar
      when it is built: 19 You are to give a young bull as a
      sin offering[h] to the Levitical priests of the family of Zadok, who come near
      to minister before me, declares the Sovereign Lord. 20 You are to take some
      of its blood and put it on the four horns of the altar
      and on the four corners of
      the upper ledge and all around the rim, and so purify the altar and make
      atonement for it. 21 You are to take the bull for the sin offering and burn it in
      the designated part of the temple area outside the sanctuary.

22 “On the second day you are to offer a male goat without defect for a sin
      offering, and the altar is to be purified as it was purified with the bull.

Footnotes:

a. Ezekiel 43:13 That is, about 21 inches or about 53 centimeters; also in verses 14 and 17. The long cubit is the basic unit for linear measurement throughout Ezekiel 40–48.
      b. Ezekiel 43:13 That is, about 11 inches or about 27 centimeters
      c. Ezekiel 43:14 That is, about 3 1/2 feet high and 1 3/4 feet wide or about 105 centimeters high and 53 centimeters wide
      d. Ezekiel 43:14 That is, about 7 feet high and 1 3/4 feet wide or about 2.1 meters high and 53 centimeters wide
      e. Ezekiel 43:16 That is, about 21 feet or about 6.4 meters
      f. Ezekiel 43:17 That is, about 25 feet or about 7.4 meters
      g. Ezekiel 43:17 That is, about 11 inches or about 27 centimeters
      h. Ezekiel 43:19 Or purification offering; also in verses 21, 22 and 25

• Ezekiel 43:26-27 (NIV)

26 For seven days they are to make atonement for the altar and cleanse
      it
      ; thus they will dedicate it. 27 At the end of these days, from the
      eighth day on
      , the priests are to present your burnt offerings and
      fellowship offerings on the altar
      . Then I will accept you, declares the
      Sovereign Lord.”

And since they're offering animals on this one, this is what I presume to be the bronze altar. I wonder what the justification is for making a stone altar with respect to a temple (the designated place in Jerusalem). Even the tabernacle had a bronze altar outside of the tent.

If the design that Moses was shown on the mountain is a copy of what's in heaven, then they shouldn't be choosing materials of "their own liking" like that. The temple in heaven has a gold altar (at the very least); John only described the gold altar in front of God in the Book of Revelation. Not sure what the bronze altar is a copy of.

Moses Shown a Pattern of the Heavenly Tabernacle

• Exodus 25:40 (NIV)

40 See that you make them according to the pattern shown you on the mountain.

• Hebrews 8:5 (NIV)

5 They serve at a sanctuary that is a copy and shadow of what is in heaven.
      This is why Moses was warned when he was about to build the tabernacle:
      “See to it that you make everything according to the pattern shown you on
      the mountain.”[a]

Footnotes:

a. Hebrews 8:5 Exodus 25:40

Gold Altar in Heaven

• Revelation 8:3 (NIV)

3 Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He
      was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the
      golden altar in front of the throne.

• Revelation 9:13 (NIV)

13 The sixth angel sounded his trumpet, and I heard a voice coming from the
      four horns of the golden altar that is before God.

But no mention of a bronze one. Hm. Based on the Tabernacle design, the first temple, and the second temple, chances are that YHWH expects a bronze one for the third temple as well. This stone altar is throwing me off.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

News with a Christian perspective

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces