Just recently, an article was published that addresses recent events and posits a theory for how everything connects:

The Egg of Arceus. It's an imposing moniker, and one that some authorities believe to be misleading; it's not a biological egg and doesn't seem that it will ever hatch, but what better to call the perfectly white, egg-shaped item that recently appeared in the waters north of Camphoreon, referred to as a fragment of Arceus's power by none other than the legendary pokemon Groudon in its recent visit to the region? But what exactly is the Egg of Arceus? Where did it come from? These are questions that Kodo's scholars have been frantically trying to answer, and after recent developments in the region, they've arrived at an explanation upon which the majority can agree.

The Egg of Arceus is undeniably linked to the strange phenomenon affecting Kodo that allows humans to understand the words of pokemon. Ever since its appearance, those who are often close to it experienced headaches and eventually developed a comprehension of pokemon language. In fact, the first known cases of pokemon intercommunication (the term scientists have coined to describe the phenomenon) were members of the small archaeological team that discovered the Egg of Arceus on the ocean floor and attempted to recover it. When they came close to the Egg, the archaeologists experienced headaches, consistent with what is happening to much of Kodo albeit to a far greater degree. We got in touch with Sefa Whittaker, one of the affected archaeologists, to hear about his firsthand experience.

"It was an absolutely terrible feeling," Whittaker told us. "My colleague who dove before me said she felt too awful to continue, but I couldn't really understand what she meant until I was down there myself. Actually, even when I tried to ignore it and press on, I wound up losing consciousness! I don't think I've ever felt so sick before."

When asked about his experiences with pokemon intercommunication, Whittaker explained:

"I thought I'd legitimately driven myself crazy with all my research. We were studying some of the artifacts we'd brought up from the ocean when I heard a voice I didn't recognize start complaining about being hungry. When I looked up to see where it had come from, my colleague was standing up, saying something to her Vulpix like, 'I know, I know, it's time to eat.' I looked at her and I said, 'Did you hear that too?' She didn't know what I was talking about, though; she thought I was referring to her Vulpix crying for food. But it definitely wasn't a noise a pokemon would make - it was plain English, as clear as though my coworker herself had spoken."

A growing number of people have reported experiences similar to Whittaker's, spurring an investigation by the Pokemon League and Kodo's medical authorities. Thus far, the only negative side-effects seem to be the mild headache that affects individuals for several days before the ability manifests.

Scholars of Kodoan history are more interested in the historical connotations of this development, however. If it's as true as it seems to be that the Egg of Arceus is the source of pokemon intercommunication, there are significant implications, especially with regard to the recent findings in the Skypeak Mountains. The records found there claimed that when Arceus was healed by the Kodoan people, it thanked them with a gift that bettered their communication with pokemon. Until now, the predominant theory was that Arceus itself spoke to the humans, and so they learned that pokemon were more than just wild animals. The recent effects of the Egg of Arceus, however, lend far more credibility to a theory that was heretofore dismissed as being too far-fetched: Arceus gave the Kodoan people the ability to speak with pokemon. From Groudon's explanation, we can assume that the Egg of Arceus, a fragment of Arceus's power, is the gift Arceus left to the early Kodoans, and its influence rendered the society capable of the same pokemon intercommunication that modern people are beginning to experience.

Why, then, was pokemon intercommunication lost for so long that the idea of it sounded like a fable? That answer may lie in the place where the Egg was initially found. We know from the map found at the Skypeak Mountains site that the society in that area had a link to both the shore and the plains, and we know that over the centuries, the shore was battered by erosion. Scholars suggest that Egg of Arceus was enshrined at a site on the northern coast and the wind and waves eventually caused it to fall into the sea. Seawater is a particularly destructive force, especially when combined with ocean currents. Although scientists have been unable to get close enough to the Egg to study it, they hypothesize that the glowing membrane the archaeologists reported seeing while the egg was underwater may have been a defensive mechanism to prevent the Egg from eroding and being destroyed. This may also explain why there have been no incidences of pokemon intercommunication in the recent past: Not only may the Egg's influence have been limited by its being submerged, but much of its power may have been diverted to self-preservation. If the Egg's influence travels more easily through air than water, it may explain why pokemon intercommunication has steadily become more prominent in the region.

Some scholars seek to use the implications of these events to explain the disappearance of early Kodoan civilization. Once the Egg of Arceus was lost to the sea, the ability would no longer present itself in new individuals, effectively dividing the Kodoans into two groups: those who could understand pokemon and those who could not. As immigration from other regions increased and the generation that was exposed to the egg grew old and died, the group that could understand pokemon would quickly become outnumbered by that which could not. This imbalance would invite discrimination against those who exhibited pokemon intercommunication. At this point, it is probable that those Kodoans who were not killed - for having an ability that seemed to defy the very nature of humans and pokemon - fled the region to escape persecution. In this way, early Kodoan civilization would have dwindled and disappeared.

We still stand to learn a great deal about pokemon intercommunication and the Egg of Arceus, and many questions will go without a factual answer until we are able to devise a way to approach and study the Egg without experiencing detrimental side-effects such as nausea and loss of consciousness. For now, many of Kodo's scholars seem satisfied with these theories and seek to use them to learn more and more about the island's past, present, and future.