In the murky darkness of the swamp, Agonist crept along unbothered by the lack of light. He was not so day-bound as his brother; then again, the majority of comparisons to his brother would fall drastically short. The thought caused him to give a derisive snort- what a pain his brother was. Still, he needed to find the other buck- there was much to discuss with his opposite, regardless of his personal feelings.

Focused in his own thoughts, Agonist did not realize he had stumbled into an open grove. His hoofsteps slowed to a cautious crawl, and he glanced about the area for any sign of life. He was not particularly in the mood for food, nor was he in the mood for socialization.

And then, there- at the very edge of the clearing, there was a doe. Freezing in his tracks, he regarded her carefully.

“I was not aware this stretch of the swamp belonged to anyone,” He called softly, trying to make certain the doe would not take his presence as an offense.
---

“Hm? Oh, worries not! I own this swamp no more than you do,” Roses in Bloom soothed, rising from the ground and stretching. She had been on her way to meet Dawn’s First Light, and perhaps discuss the possibility of another family… it was few and far between she met bucks she was willing to socialize with. Trotting over, Roses raised her chin to regard the stranger, looking him over curiously.

And what a curiosity this was. Grey fur, that neck marking… the doe laughed softly to herself. Not a child, nor a grandchild… she would have to discover who this stranger was. Offering him a sweet smile, Roses cocked her head to the side.

“Tell me, young one… you look so familiar to this old doe. Who are your parents, and their parents? If I may be so bold, that is.”
---

Agonist blinked. This sort of exchange, he was not prepared for. Asking of his parents… had he done something to this doe? His body remained tense as he regarded her, wondering. Nonetheless, he was compelled. For all that he loathed his brother’s false sense of justice, Agonist was not a liar nor a violence-seeker. Truly, he wished for peace. Peace within the swamp, inner peace… whatever he could get his hooves on.

“I am the child of Vice and Shall Burn. If those names have a poor connotation for you, I apologize, but I am not my parents.” I am also not my brother,, he wished to add on, though the doe likely had no knowledge of his inner struggle. He frowned, looking her over once more.

“And what of you? Are you a figure I am meant to know?” Agonist questioned. It was not meant to sound as gruff as it came out, and upon reflection, Agonist winced at the tone of his own words. He wasn’t thrilled, certainly… but so far the stranger had done him no wrong. Seeking peace, what a joke.
---

At the name Shall Burn, Roses in Bloom perked up immensely. There was a name she recognized! Immediately, she was overcome with delight. That was her son’s son… so a great-grandson? Goodness, her family had grown so much! Beaming with delight, she trod over to the young buck, and gently nudged his chin with her head.

“Well met, little one. I may not seem much, but I am in fact your great-grandmother. My, I didn’t know I had new children to dote on! You’re a lovely surprise this fine evening,” she laughed stepping back to give the buck his space. He had much of his grandfather in him… Oh, she would have to tell Dawn’s First Light about this! What a thrill he would get from knowing their little family had grown so much more!

“In the right light, you look much like me. I believe it’s your neck markings,” She soothed, gesturing to the breakup of dark and light greys. They were almost opposites in how they were colored, but the resemblance was there to a keen eye. And his glowing eyes! His glowing hide! What a fine young buck to be a part of her family. Pride welled in Roses in Bloom’s chest.

“I am Roses in Bloom. You may call me Rose, if you so desire.”
---

…Great grandmother? Well, that was a surprise. Most of the tension melted from his muscles, and he allowed the doe to show affection to him. It was not a commonality in his life, to be so lax with fondness, but it was clear the doe- Roses, he corrected himself- was excited to find kin within her familial line. And great grandmother… still a strong connection, but the thought of the size of her family was impressive.

“Well met indeed. I am called Agonist,” He replied, bowing his head in a show of respect. Had his brother met Roses, he wondered? Or would the starkness of his coat not match the darkness of this elderly doe? These questions drifted in and out of Agonist’s mind, even as his ancestor rambled on to him about the delight of their meeting. It was fortuitous, he supposed, that in the emotional state he was in, he had not met someone antagonistic. She was… overbearing, perhaps, but not intolerable. To have someone in his family who he didn’t inherently distrust upon meeting was a very liberating feeling.

“Where are the winds taking you this evening?”
---

“The winds? I suppose I’m off in hunt for your great-grandfather, wherever the winds have taken him,” she mused, turning to look off into the distance. Dawn’s First Light was, at heart, a romantic. Where Rose enjoyed the idea of commitment and finding a happy spot, he was as wild as the seasons- here one day, gone the next. It would be a challenge to find him once more, but now she had quite the encounter to tell him about. A smile still on her lips, she turned back to the dark buck.

“This was a short rest for me. I feel older than I am, I suppose,” she sighed, closing her eyes as brief thoughts of Walking Root trickled through her consciousness. Just as quickly as flashes of purple were they, she banished them. This was a pleasant evening- she would not fall into her melancholy once more. Roses breathed a soft sigh.

“Wherever the winds are taking you, I will not keep you, Agonist. Travel well, when you do. If you need it, this is a fair spot to rest.”

Again, she nodded to the buck then stretched. A short encounter, but a pleasant one nonetheless. This would keep her heart light for some days. With a pleasant noise, she turned, and headed off into the distance.