Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Maxx D
Crew

Garbage Cat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:39 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Unbeknownst to the rest, Madding Crow had been working on his own experiments with semi-permanent fixtures in the evenings, a fight with the fading light to get some work done out of sight. It had taken him three days to wear a perfect hole in a completely dried piece of wood for that beautiful polished rock he had unearthed - it was small and dainty, with striations that caught the light. One of a kind, and he did not want to risk it shattering should they have used it willy-nilly in their temporary designs. No, it needed a good home.

It was currently snug in the notched wood, sap curing around it.

When he turned his back to investigate just where he had put that sharp stone, he heard a flutter of wings.

And with that flutter of wings - he turned to see they were black, belonging to his namesake bird - was a sharp beak, which popped the polished rock with a flourish.

"No!" He cried, but the crow caught it before it fell, perfectly in its beak, and took off.

The exasperated sigh was so violent that a roosting songbird too, fluttered away.

Crow tracked the runaway bird, that elusive, one of a kind rock glittering in the dying light. His hooves were swift, and his perfect hair was flicked about unceremoniously by stray branches and the wind. He was almost - he hated to think it - impressed by the crow's skill and taste. Of all the things to go for - just that one piece that he couldn't let go of. He had set it so carefully, and it'd popped it out like nothing. He continued to admire and detest the creature as he galloped after it, following deep into the swamp, into areas he did not recognise.

He only stopped when he could no longer see the glint of the stone. Panting, his head whipped around, seeking the bird. It wasn't the bird that he sensed though - he heard something else.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:56 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.That something else rose slowly from the thicket in the middle distance, intercepting the crow - no, receiving the crow as it landed. It was a kimeti doe, as white as death - and almost as old, if the wear and tear was any indication.

Maple Milk muttered crossly at her crow, Mildew, to settle down for a moment and let her see what she had in her dratted beak. When the bird finally landed and set the stone down gently before her master, Maple had to stop and stare a little herself. Where had Mildew managed to find such a prize of a stone? "Ohhh, it's beautiful, darling," she cooed, and leaned in to gently kiss the crow on the head. The crow, for her part, preened under her praise, proud of a job well done.

"I shall have to find someplace safe to keep it where it will still catch the sun from time to time," the doe mused, turning to face the entrance to her cave-mouth home. Mildew croaked happily and picked up the stone again, hopping a circle back around to the doe's front.

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

Maxx D
Crew

Garbage Cat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:08 am
"Excuse me," he called sharply in standard greeting more than politeness - though it was unsure whether to the doe or offensive crow scampering about with his treasure. He urgently approached, though, he hoped, not close enough to startle the bird. "The crow - yours, I assume - made off with my property. I would like it back." Madding Crow was not particularly good with niceties and it was rather stiff, but in the unfamiliar middle of the swamp, along with the fact that both doe and pet were quite pleased with the item, being his ornery self wasn't about to get him anywhere. He paused, bit his lip, and relented a "...please."

Kitty Sprightt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:05 am
At the sound of a stranger's voice, the doe whipped back around to face him - a carefully groomed buck, made slightly bedraggled by his journey. She looked him over quickly, and determined he was a typical member of polite society, and likely not a threat unless she goaded him too hard. She relaxed a little as he explained himself.

His brief explanation and afterthought politeness were met with a quiet, thoughtful hum, and the flick of an ear. "That is unfortunate, young fellow, because I would very much like to keep it."

She tilted her head and considered. Normally, she wasn't the type to initiate a barter - the person asking for something was almost always at the disadvantage, in her experience - but the stone was so fine, she thought she could risk at least asking. Perhaps he'd even be receptive.

"Could you perhaps be convinced to take something else in its stead?"
Maxx D

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

Maxx D
Crew

Garbage Cat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 am
He desperately wanted to snap at her in the way he usually would, but Madding Crow was abrasive, not stupid, and he had already swallowed his pride once.
The stone's value was easily visible, and she seemed to understand that. Besides reason, curiousity made him wonder what she had.

"Perhaps, depending on what 'something else' is," he settled on, a neutral tone, though a scowl remained on his face. "It's a good rock, miss."

Kitty Sprightt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:23 am
"A pretty bauble," she agreed, perhaps not as dismissively as she might have intended. "I have little to trade that others have not given me in turn for services rendered to them. I used to collect beautiful things to decorate myself with, but, alas," she said with a croaking laugh, "my own beauty has faded too far to adorn myself in finery. I could offer you some of those other pretty things, if you like. I also have herbs and medicines, and perhaps..."

She glanced over her shoulder, where Mildew was now scratching idly for bugs. "My crow lays eggs often. She seems to find fellows easily enough, as more often than not, they hatch into chicks. I could offer you one of her next brood, should you so wish."
Maxx D

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

Maxx D
Crew

Garbage Cat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:53 am
"Would still look nice in your hair, that stone," he stated, not altogether insincere, "a suitable contrast for your light colours. A chick would do - pray that it has the same nimble beak that yours does." Thieving, he had almost said, but either way, this would do nicely. He cast an eye on the surroundings, commiting the mare's hovel to his memory and ready to track back.

"I will return," with his furrowed brow, it was almost like a threat, but he also relented a "......thank you."

Kitty Sprightt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:24 am
She snorted. The flattery didn't suit him, she thought - the half-threats were much more his speed. How good of him to show some restraint.

"It will be," she said. "Training these birds well is a point of pride for me. Whether or not it has any taste in the things it finds you is entirely dependent on the bird's whims, though," she added blandly. Some of the crows she had raised certainly did insist on bringing home the most ridiculous things. The number of useless blue or yellow flowers, beetle shells, and feathers she'd had to hide or destroy, lest their cheery colors ruin the atmosphere, was very high indeed.

She mumbled some polite agreement when he said he'd be back. Of course he would - he'd have to come back several times. These crows weren't born well-trained adults, after all, and the bird would have to know him from early on in order to form a strong bond. It would probably be irritating to him to have to keep coming back so often, but he probably deserved the irritation.

She would never be caught dead saying she was looking forward to anyone visiting her cave, but she thought she might have fun teasing the boy a little on his visits for the bird.
Quote:
That might be a wrap!

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

Maxx D
Crew

Garbage Cat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:37 pm
"I'll find a use for whatever trinkets they bring if the bird is of use," he nodded in acknowledgement, but he was certainly intrigued. "We will meet again."

END

Kitty Sprightt
hurrah!

Roleplaying

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas