Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Help Guild

Back to Guilds

Guild for Anime,Manga, Live-Action Asian Drama, Asian Music K-pop Recommendations & Discussions, ChatSpace,TV Series/WesternCartoons + More. 

Tags: Anime, Manga, Live Action Asian Drama, Discussion, Recommendation 

Reply ✩ ANIME
Yuri and Yaoi is not all about explicit scenes.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tackle and Tickle
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:35 am
While I understand not wanting to post rated R material here, it seems that people jump to the conclusion that all Yuri and Yaoi is Sexually Explicit Material. It really is any anime or manga that contains homosexual content be it implied or explicit. Most don't contain nudity or anything that would make it Rated R. Yuri is Girl Love and Yaoi is Boys Love. If you think about it not allowing such anime or manga to be discussed here you are denying some great anime.

For example Sailor Moon will not be allowed to be talked about at least not the Japanese version as Uranus and Neptune where homosexual and it was enough to label it as having yuri in the Anime. I understand you don't want heterosexual or homosexual hentai, but I think as an Anime Help Guild we should use proper terms correctly. If such shows as Saki which does fall under Seinen but has plenty of Yuri moments where the female characters express such emotions in liking another female. Well my thoughts are out on this. I mean is a complete Ban on anime with yuri or yaio moments which is even if two girls holding hands in a romantic way or was it that people here thought yuri or yaio had to be sexually explicit.  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:56 pm
I do see your point on what you are talking about !

I will take that into consideration

although some people still recommend some of the minor yuri and yaoi
i cant stop all of the posts

when i first started this guild I was thinking mostly of more of the R versions to be banned!

I have nothing against Yuri or Yaoi stuff as long as they are not (18+)

different people take it as different meaning when i say yuri or yaoi

Ex: you think of the minor yuri and Yaoi
other think, other stuff you know

but thank you for pointing that out!  

nena_sakura

Captain

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Eowalenna
Crew

Dapper Shoujo

17,150 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:12 pm
Hope you don't mind me adding my two cents.

I have observed, in a lot of anime community, that the terms "Yuri" and "Yaoi" are used to label the more graphic, intense or explicit material. While the terms "Ai Shounen" and "Ai Shoujo" refer to titles that aren't so deep in content. I guess this is sort of an effort to separate the the fluff and fan pandering from the more mature titles. For example, a title like Winter Cicada has always had the tag of Yaoi. While something like Gakuen Heaven is usually labeled "Boy Love" or "Ai Shounen".

This sort of think has always lead me to think of the terms as big brother/sister and little brother/sister. If you want something light, sweet or cute, you go for the little sibbing ("Ai Shounen"/"Ai Shoujo"). While, if you want something heavier and full-bodied you go with the older sibling ("Yuri"/"Yaoi").

The truth is you can't completely ban anime with homosexuality because it's just there. There are shows that have undertones and overtones that don't even fall within these genres.  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:44 pm
The person above is correct. Yuri/yaoi is the label for content that's sexually explicit, while shoujo-ai/shounen-ai is the label put on the fluffy, romantic stuff. But I also agree with the original poster here, not all of the series that I've read were explicit, even when carrying a yuri/yaoi warning.

Still, I think it's best to steer clear; just because the series hasn't shown anything naughty yet doesn't mean that it won't. The editors slapped it with that label for a reason, and we don't want to recommend anything too graphic to our guildmates here.  

Paradox the Finder

Ruthless Dreamer

25,650 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Kuro Gang 250
  • Survivor 150

Tackle and Tickle
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:20 pm
Actually it is not the terms Shounen Ai and such is really a western term Yuri and Yaio are what is used in Japan. In Western terms yes the above posters are correct it is used for less explicit homosexual content. In Japan Yuri and such is used for both explicit and implied homosexual content. Yes I do understand there was a need to separate them, but it does get on my nerves mainly because I used to deal with a lot of Japanese tourist and had hard enough times learning Japanese if you try mentioning Shounen Ai to them most would be confused. When I went to Japan it sort reinforced the need to use the terms correctly. I don't think I seen it here so this place needs to have a definition section for such terms used. If it is using it how Japanese use the terms such as the term Anime which western world means Japanese Animation, but to the Japanese means any animation. This is just my way of seeing which is which. Are we following the western definition of terms or the Japanese definition of terms. I don't know it is just me and I fully understand how the western world uses the term yuri and yaio, but I been watching Japanese animation for 33 years already and maybe it is because of my age or because I was around for before the term Anime was used to refer to Japanese Animation. I just feel like correcting them unless they mention they are using it as the western world defines the term. Well that is my rant.

Really my real purpose was to show that terms have different meanings and I think as I did not see any terms defined here ( I might have missed them) I don't know it has been a while since I was here. That being clear on what you mean by the terms western definition or using the Japanese definition .  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:12 am
I very much aware that certain terms are used in the west that aren't used in the east. However, considering that most of the guild members are westerns. Would it not make sense to use the more western definitions? I mean we have members who declare themselves otaku and they are nowhere near the Japanese definition of the word. Heck, some don't even the term can be used for people with obsessive hobbies other than anime.

I believe there is a list of terms and definitions in the guild. Last time I looked, I think it was under construction. I haven't been back to look at it.

Paradox the Finder

I just want to say welcome to the guild.  

Eowalenna
Crew

Dapper Shoujo

17,150 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Paradox the Finder

Ruthless Dreamer

25,650 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Kuro Gang 250
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:03 pm
Eowalenna
Paradox the Finder

Thank-you, I'm having lots of fun lurking and familiarizing myself with the layout here.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:26 pm
Eowalenna
I very much aware that certain terms are used in the west that aren't used in the east. However, considering that most of the guild members are westerns. Would it not make sense to use the more western definitions? I mean we have members who declare themselves otaku and they are nowhere near the Japanese definition of the word. Heck, some don't even the term can be used for people with obsessive hobbies other than anime.

I believe there is a list of terms and definitions in the guild. Last time I looked, I think it was under construction. I haven't been back to look at it.

Paradox the Finder

I still do not see anything so it must be under construction. I even agree that is a good reason to use the western definitions. Even so I think that if said list of definitions gets up and running it should mention that it is following the western definitions. As for Anime Otaku I have noticed that, in fact fewer even know that the word Otaku was ( not sure if still ) looked on badly by the Japanese people, because in the mid 80's to around early 90's the photograph Otaku serial killer, who killed young children then raped them and then ate part of them.  

Tackle and Tickle
Crew

Eowalenna
Crew

Dapper Shoujo

17,150 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:11 pm
Paradox the Finder

Thank-you, I'm having lots of fun lurking and familiarizing myself with the layout here.

Your welcome, glad to hear you're having fun.

Tackle and Tickle
I still do not see anything so it must be under construction. I even agree that is a good reason to use the western definitions. Even so I think that if said list of definitions gets up and running it should mention that it is following the western definitions. As for Anime Otaku I have noticed that, in fact fewer even know that the word Otaku was ( not sure if still ) looked on badly by the Japanese people, because in the mid 80's to around early 90's the photograph Otaku serial killer, who killed young children then raped them and then ate part of them.

I found it. Anime 101 Basics info! Under the spoiler the the captain discusses term like Shoujo Ai /Shounen Ai, Josei, Yaoi/Yuri, Lolicon/Shotacon, Traps, Dōjinshi and such. She even links to a Wikipedia page that lists and defines terms.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:05 pm
Eowalenna
Paradox the Finder

Tackle and Tickle

I found it. Anime 101 Basics info! Under the spoiler the the captain discusses term like Shoujo Ai /Shounen Ai, Josei, Yaoi/Yuri, Lolicon/Shotacon, Traps, Dōjinshi and such. She even links to a Wikipedia page that lists and defines terms.
I read it, and while it tries to explain the terms I think an update should be done. I think the Captain tried to keep it to simple most likely to help new comers. While I may disagree on some of it, the list does cover a good amount and tends to be decent try on informing people.  

Tackle and Tickle
Crew

nena_sakura

Captain

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:28 pm
Tackle and Tickle
Eowalenna
Paradox the Finder

Tackle and Tickle

I read it, and while it tries to explain the terms I think an update should be done. I think the Captain tried to keep it to simple most likely to help new comers. While I may disagree on some of it, the list does cover a good amount and tends to be decent try on informing people.

Im sorry i can not complete this request @ this time ninja
but is you still want to recommend minor Yuri or Yaoi please do so in the subforum - chat room
when you recommend these please start with a warning!
and put them in spoiler code
I am not against Yuri or Yaoi in any way !
Maybe in the future i might create a 17+ subforum
For now I can not do that!
I want to stick to the rules when i started this guilds
There are also other guilds that specialize in only Yuri & Yaoi
I want this guild to be different then the other guilds ....
Thank you for understanding  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:03 am
nena_sakura
Tackle and Tickle
Eowalenna
Paradox the Finder

Tackle and Tickle

but is you still want to recommend minor Yuri or Yaoi please do so in the subforum - chat room

LOL. Nice to hear from you Cap. It is not about Yuri or Yaoi mainly it is about terminology. It came about because I could not find it here I do remember seeing a while back, but could not remember where. Fortunately a crew found it and let me know where it was. I actually like this guild due to the fact it is like that.  

Tackle and Tickle
Crew

nena_sakura

Captain

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:12 pm
Tackle and Tickle
nena_sakura
Tackle and Tickle
Eowalenna
Paradox the Finder

Tackle and Tickle

LOL. Nice to hear from you Cap. It is not about Yuri or Yaoi mainly it is about terminology. It came about because I could not find it here I do remember seeing a while back, but could not remember where. Fortunately a crew found it and let me know where it was. I actually like this guild due to the fact it is like that.

well thank you ! sorry i was busy last week due to exams followed by a Convention !  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:00 am
Eowalenna
Hope you don't mind me adding my two cents.

I have observed, in a lot of anime community, that the terms "Yuri" and "Yaoi" are used to label the more graphic, intense or explicit material. While the terms "Ai Shounen" and "Ai Shoujo" refer to titles that aren't so deep in content. I guess this is sort of an effort to separate the the fluff and fan pandering from the more mature titles. For example, a title like Winter Cicada has always had the tag of Yaoi. While something like Gakuen Heaven is usually labeled "Boy Love" or "Ai Shounen".

This sort of think has always lead me to think of the terms as big brother/sister and little brother/sister. If you want something light, sweet or cute, you go for the little sibbing ("Ai Shounen"/"Ai Shoujo"). While, if you want something heavier and full-bodied you go with the older sibling ("Yuri"/"Yaoi").

The truth is you can't completely ban anime with homosexuality because it's just there. There are shows that have undertones and overtones that don't even fall within these genres.

Yeah, exactly. I heard that Shounen-ai/Shoujo-ai is something R13 or R15, mostly contain hint or fluff, while Yaoi/Yuri is R18 and up because its more explicit.  

Izatora

Devoted Werewolf

11,500 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Master Converter 500
  • First step to fame 200
✩ ANIME

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items