Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Quote - Isaac Hayes (Chef) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

People Count
  +1
View Results

Taylr752

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:43 pm
Isaac Hayes
"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins. Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored. As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."- On why he quit "South Park" (1997)

what do you think about this quote, should he have quit south park, In my opinion no he's a scientoligist and they had an episode making fun of scientoligists, but I believe people need alittle more religious humor and can laugh at there own religion sometimes, I mean it didnt go that far or anything. (p.s. he played chef - he was my favorite character too.)  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:45 pm
I've been hearing disputes about the reason he quit, including that he actually had had a stroke and someone else had planted the line. If it is indeed true, then he's a ******** hypocrite, as by his terms, it's ok to make fun of Christians, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, but Xenu forbid they touch Scientology!  

Saurencaerthai

Taylr752

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:49 pm
I know saying he's civil rights activist and can not support the show using the word religion in general, when he mad fun of sooooooo many religions, I have religous humor I wouldnt get so mad if they made fun of athiests, I mean its like one of my favorite shows.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:59 pm
I'm a South Park fan too, and I think it does seem a bit too much of a coincidence that he was on the show so long before having issues with it. It's not like they don't make fun of just about everything. One would think you would be expecting that from South Park when you started the job. It's not like it's new for something in the news to get jokes made about it eventually, especially when that something, like scientology, is popular with celebrities.  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Taylr752

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:29 pm
c a u s t i c
I'm a South Park fan too, and I think it does seem a bit too much of a coincidence that he was on the show so long before having issues with it. It's not like they don't make fun of just about everything. One would think you would be expecting that from South Park when you started the job. It's not like it's new for something in the news to get jokes made about it eventually, especially when that something, like scientology, is popular with celebrities.
3nodding exactly.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:01 am
Yeah, I agree. He just got pissed when it was his religion getting made fun of.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

GEt CrUnK iTs BiLlY!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:41 am
What does sattire mean? eek I didn't know Chef was gone! eek  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:32 am
I think he's right. Although religious humor is fun (We all know the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the Invisible Pink Unicorn), it shouldn't go overboard. Religion gives many people a meaning to life: you can't ridicule that to its demise. It's an inwoven part of humanity..  

Rev Shrubbery

Taylr752

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:02 am
Thatisonesexypanda!
What does sattire mean? eek I didn't know Chef was gone! eek
dude he's been gone for seasons man, he quit in 1997

(Also Im not sure how to explain satire, I know what it means, but its a hard definition heres a link to wikipedias definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire )  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:03 am
Corrupt Harmony
I think he's right. Although religious humor is fun (We all know the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the Invisible Pink Unicorn), it shouldn't go overboard. Religion gives many people a meaning to life: you can't ridicule that to its demise. It's an inwoven part of humanity..
sweatdrop have you seen that episode really, he made fun of Jews more on a regualuar episode basis than thye made fun of scientoligist in that one episode.  

Taylr752

iMito

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:02 pm
Scientology is a very controlling religion, I think that they made him quit. Otherwise, he's being completely hypocritical because he said that he had no problem doing it right after it was made. It's only 2 months later that he said that.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:49 pm
He's just proving you can claim to laugh at everyone, but turn into a pansy when it moves in on you.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Taylr752

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:20 pm
SPMito
Scientology is a very controlling religion, I think that they made him quit. Otherwise, he's being completely hypocritical because he said that he had no problem doing it right after it was made. It's only 2 months later that he said that.
3nodding I agree  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:05 am
Corrupt Harmony

The thing about religion though is it may give some people a meaning to live, but it has also given people means to kill life. By means to kill I give this: through deception, manipulation of the masses, and of course religion often gets used as a front to hide something very corrupt(ex: The Roman Catholic Church).

Remember...PETA is one foolish group of people. They plant all sorts of moles to acheive what they desire. When one mole on the opposing side gets planted in thier group, and exposes things they would rather hide...they get furious and go to court over it. A bunch of Hippocrites arn't they when they can't stand a dose of thier own terrible medicene.

In my opinion Scientology is a bunch of bull-s**t. For that person to have insulted so many religions, but turn into a pansy when his thing gets made fun off....he's a hippocrite.

People who know me know I can't stand Hippocrites.

Making fun of religion is one way to help expose it's flaws without being too insulting. There are ways to bring humor into a very touchy situation. However, yes there is a limit.

However too many people cry out blashemy when the humor doesn't even come anywhere near to toeing that line that is not to be crossed.

Sanguvixen

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:07 pm
He can dish it out, but he can't take it.

SPMito

I know nothing about scientology, but that sounds plausible. Why else would someone quit a job that I'm sure pays a sizable bit?  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff