[火] The Ash Sea|| Valley of the End Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BlackJack1995

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:12 pm
_______________The Narrator Whispers... Miyuki and Xion ||
tab At some point the mechanical creature apparently chose to stop consuming electricity from the machines it passed by. The energy spent to blow the door open with its canon had been restored, and it knew that there were intruders in here. Just... not quite where those intruders were.
tab Another sound just like before distracted the beast, and it loped over towards it to investigate the source. Just like last time, however, it was just a pen. A roar that sounded almost human in its frustration resounded from its throat, and the automaton faced down the length of the room towards the other end. Searching as it was would only prove to be ineffective, so there was just one thing to do.
tab Two panels on its back hissed as they split apart, making room for the very energy canon it had used to get in the room in the first place. The canon made a humming sound as it powered up, blue energy coalescing into the form of a ball right around its entrance before, with a great roar, automaton let the ball of energy fly right down the middle of the room. The ball flew with great speed (enough that if it had shot it directly at a either of you there would be no chance for you academy level children to dodge), blowing all forms of cover you intruders could be hiding behind out of the way. The shot was random though, so there was no way it could have hit either of you.
tab Absorbing the electricity from a nearby surviving computer, the beast again begins to stalk its way across the room in search of its targets, the canon on its back still spitting out sparks from its blast as it once again becomes concealed in its back.
Solas Crua

HeadlessKoko

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:16 pm
User Image
                                  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ M i y u k i F u j i m o t o
                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

n i n j u t s u | p e r f o r m e r | k i r i g a k u r e | e - r a n k | f e m a l e

c h a k r a215 // 215
    s t a m i n a 100 // 100

x" Hanasanai de | Gyutto te wo nigitteite | Anata to futari tsuzuku to itte "

Miyuki turned in surprise when Xion pulled back from her grip. She knew that the hasty motion had likely startled the blind girl but she hadn't expected the recoil. At least, until she saw the hand seal and watched Xion turn into a kunai. Barely catching it before it hit the ground, Miyuki grimaced and glanced back around the corner of the desk she hid behind in search of the metal beast.

It was then she heard the roar and immediately yanked her head back and away from danger. Seconds later, a blast erupted from its direction, dealing a fair amount of damage to the desks that it clipped. Miyuki pressed herself against the desk and waited for what felt like an eternity before growing brave enough once more to venture a look. By that time, the automaton was already harvesting electricity from another computer. It was curious, in a way, that the thing would destroy the electronics. If these weren't what it was meant to protect, then what was? Because if it deemed that these were worth sacrifice, there had to be something else hidden inside this old fortress.

Of course, whether or not that thing interested Miyuki, it would have to wait until another time. Preferably when the angry monster wasn't around. Besides, they had a tunnel with a door and a friend to find. Which to her sounded like they needed to find a way down. Seeing as they'd made it through all of two rooms thusfar and hadn't found any stairs meant that part was going to be tricky. Not to mention that exploring was going to be near impossible unless they could get the metal horse-tiger off their backs.

Another black tendril snaked up onto the desk, grasping for something to throw. With yet another underhanded throw, she tossed another old pen holder at the far wall--if not against the far wall--in hopes of leading its attention that way. She gave a silent apology to Xion before sticking the hilt of the knife in her mouth and crawling as quickly on all fours as she could once more. Her goal was the door to the next room. Ideally, if she could slip out without notice, the automaton would be stuck searching for them until it lost interest, giving her some time to find those stairs she needed.

If she could make it to the door, she would open it slowly and slip through the instant it was wide enough to fit, closing it just as carefully behind her.

" Tsunaida sono te wa atatakakute | Yasashikatta "

HeadlessKoko
    BlackJack1995

Aritaryn

BlackJack1995

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:06 pm
_______________The Narrator Whispers... Miyuki ||
tab Behind you, you hear the sound of the automaton shuffling about the room more in search of the origin of the noise you had created. Perhaps if it had the ability to think for itself it would have recognized your diversion for what it was, but of course being a machine it couldn't possess any such ability. Thus, you are safe... for now, at least.
tab You close the door behind you, and right before you is a staircase leading downwards. Walking down it, you would realize that the staircase is actually quite long, requiring several minutes for you to make your way down it. The further you go, the warmer it gets as you delve further and further bellow ground. Thankfully you have the occasional light bulb lighting your way, preventing any embarrassing accidents.
tab At the bottom of the staircase, you enter a room even larger than the last. Unlike that one, however, it doesn't appear to be as densely packed. Although, the particularly large machine in the center that damn near touches ceiling (which you can just barely see) would appear to indicate it is of no less importance, or perhaps is even of more importance. On all four sides of that machine is a dark monitor, all of which were obviously used to monitor... something. All around the machine you find a few desks with computers that look to be far nicer than anything you saw upstairs. Basically, everything about this room is an upgrade when compared to the one upstairs, possibly indicating that this was where the "real" work was done.
Solas Crua

HeadlessKoko

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:49 am
User Image

n i n j u t s u | p e r f o r m e r | k i r i g a k u r e | e - r a n k | f e m a l e

c h a k r a215 // 215
    s t a m i n a 100 // 100

Beyond the doorway leading out of the massive machinery room was a long staircase--going down, thankfully, because that seemed like the direction she needed to go to find the tunnel leading out. Or at least Miyuki hoped her intuition was right. It was usually a fifty-fifty shot after all whether her gut instinct was correct or not. Regardless, for the moment it seemed that the automaton wasn't following, leaving her to descend the stairs as quickly as she could.

It was a vary long staircase, to the point that, after a moment of jogging, she slowed down to walk the rest of the way. It was dark, but the occasional bulb lit the way, and after a while her eyes adjusted to the dim lighting to allow for easier travel. She couldn't help wondering how the place had power if humans had vanished for so long. The cat-thing was a different matter entirely, but why were the lights and computers on? Everything degraded eventually, and if it had been as long as Céro had said, what was so important there that it had to be powered for centuries.

The answer lie in the room at the bottom, though to be honest, she couldn't make heads or tails of what she was seeing. Not to mention the place was somehow even bigger than the last room. Curious, she approached the dark monitors in search of perhaps a way to turn them on. Assuming they didn't somehow come on on their own, she turned in a slow circle to look around the room in search of a switch, like Xion had found in the last one, and then approached the nearest computer to see if it provided any more information. Miyuki wasn't the most computer savvy person she knew, but most functioned the same way, and at the very least she knew how to navigate one. If none of the buttons on the monitor, keyboard, or control panel worked--depending on what controlled it--she searched for a power button instead.

HeadlessKoko
    BlackJack1995

Aritaryn

HeadlessKoko

Invisible Regular

12,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:46 pm
User ImageXion stood off to the side, eating cake. Her transformation technique had worn off some time ago, after which she'd walked along behind Miyuki like normal. However good Miyuki was at computers, it was certainly better than Xion. Xion couldn't even see the computers or anything about the room to make heads or tails of it in the first place.

Solas Crua

BlackJack1995

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:31 pm
tab The computer was, shockingly, already on. The second you push a key or move the mouse the monitor blinks into life. Further inspection of the other computers in the room, as well as the main large machine in the middle would reveal the same. In your search for clues on what this facility was for, you make some shocking discoveries.
tab It appears the main purpose of this place was to monitor something of unknowable origin located in the center of the Ash Sea. Something mysterious enough that a name could never be agreed upon for it, although the word "blackhole" and "portal" popped up quite a bit, which was certainly disconcerting. No matter how much this wonder of the world was monitored however, no one could ever figure out what exactly it is, or where it came from. In fact, only two things were certain. The first; that anything that got too close to this phenomenon was drawn in and, ultimately, vanished from the face of the earth. The second; it was getting larger. Slowly, but surely, this portal or blackhole or whatever it is was growing in size, and that was the main reason why it was being monitored. So that hopefully one day the researchers could find a way to stop it before their worse fear came to pass and it consumed the world. Sadly, it doesn't appear they ever came close to coming up with a solution.
tab In your search, you find that somehow these machines are still monitoring the anomaly. It appears that just recently - only a few days ago - it grew in size once again. More searching reveals that the rate at which it grows is quite erratic, with no discernible pattern in sight. For all you know, it could be a few dozen years before the Ash Sea just becomes one giant blackhole, or a few hundred.

_______________The Narrator Whispers... Xion ||
tab The cakes tastes good. Like, really freaking good. It's delicious.
Solas Crua

HeadlessKoko

BlackJack1995

Aritaryn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:05 am
User Image

c h a k r a215 // 215
    s t a m i n a 100 // 100

Miyuki puzzled over the computer for a long while, trying to make heads or tails of the information she was given, her demeanor actually becoming somewhat serious. Whatever these computers were meant to watch was growing steadily, albeit erratically. And it had grown again recently, days before they'd awoken in this new world. However, she was by no means a scientist, nor nearly intelligent enough to attempt to figure out the answer, so, outside of attempting to absorb the information she was given. Maybe it could be of some use to someone else one day. Assuming she could remember any of it. Thinking on that, she decided to flip open her notebook and jot down everything she found out.

The concept was somewhat fascinating, though. Some sort of hole that led to nothing, supposedly, and dragged in anything that got too close. It sounded powerful. But if it threatened to swallow up the world with its sheer size, well, Miyuki had every intention to keep living, and didn't want to see that happen.

Glancing over her shoulder to Xion, who was munching away on a piece of cake, Miyuki decided to reveal her findings to the blind girl. "This place was build to monitor something in the sea surrounding it." Though when she thought about it, she didn't even recall a sea. Evidently there was something there for it to be called one. "The... Ash Sea. Anyway, whatever it is will suck in anything that gets too close, and it seems like its been slowly growing. The people that once worked here couldn't find a way to close it before they died, and now it threatens to swallow the world. But that's still potentially a long way away." It didn't make the thought any more comforting, but at least it wasn't an immediate problem. Maybe soon they could find other people and tell them about the fortress. Although its guard could definitely be a problem.

Taking a step away from the computer, Miyuki took a quick look around, searching for the way out that wasn't the way they'd come. "I think if we keep moving downward we might be able to find the tunnel we were told to find." Getting away from the mechanical beast was the main goal for now. It was only a matter of time before it figured out where they'd gone. And she intended to be as far away as possible before then. "I think we should keep moving."

HeadlessKoko
    BlackJack1995

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:09 pm
User Image"So basically Soraru's stomach?" Xion made the comparison without skipping a beat.

Comedy, whether it be intentional or unintentional, aside, Xion walked up to Miyuki at the mention of getting out. It was to follow her, right? Right? "Would you like some cake?". Nah. Well, at least the most immediate reason was to offer Miyuki some of the half-eaten yule log, which the blind maid held out to the strange girl.

In the meantime, could Xion "see" anything of relevance through the sounds her footsteps and voice made?

Solas Crua

BlackJack1995

HeadlessKoko

Invisible Regular

12,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

BlackJack1995

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:35 pm
tab At the other end of the room you see not a door, but a large rectangular hole carved out in the stone wall. Walking down the tunnel, you'll notice that it is a downward slope with no lighting, taking you even further below ground than you already are, stuck once again in pitch darkness.
tab Behind you, the roar of the automaton echoes down the stairs you climbed down earlier. Now would probably be a good time to beat a hasty retreat.

tab Your footsteps echo against the walls, but just like Miyuki there is nothing you can see. Even if you were to scream with all your might, you would be unable to "see" the end of this tunnel. All you can do is continue on in the hope that you will eventually reach an end.

Solas Crua

HeadlessKoko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:14 pm
User Image

c h a k r a215 // 215
    s t a m i n a 100 // 100

Miyuki gave Xion a questioning glance at the mention of 'Soraru' but it seemed to have just been an off-handed memory of the pale-haired girl's unrelated to the situation. Miyuki's gaze shifted then to the cake in Xion's hand as she approached, holding the morsel out slightly as she offered to share. "Ah... no, I'm fine for now. Thanks though."

Sounds from beyond the computers drew her attention away from the half-eaten cake and back up the way they'd come. It looked like their robot tiger companion had finished its search of the previous room, meaning they had to start moving again, and fast. However, this time she hesitated to grab Xion, having had a moment's reprieve to relax. Her anxiety over physical contact had returned. No, now wasn't the time for that! Her hands curled into fists briefly before she finally gave in and grabbed a hold of Xion once more, running for the path downwards.

Not far into the tunnel, however, she was forced to slow down. If only she'd been able to find a lantern or a flashlight or something, she could have kept up the pace, but given that they were in complete blackness she had to rely solely on other senses to figure out where she was going. "Haha... Be glad you don't use your eyes 'cause they're useless here," Miyuki said softly, so as not to let her voice echo. Tendrils crept from her left hand, the one that was not holding onto the blind girl, and reached out to he sides and front to give her a better idea of where she was going.

Assuming that nothing blocked her past, Miyuki eventually picked up the pace again, though not too much thanks to pulling someone behind her.

HeadlessKoko
    BlackJack1995

Aritaryn

HeadlessKoko

Invisible Regular

12,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:20 pm
User Image"Don't worry~" Xion hummed. She'd only begun humming just now, right after Miyuki commented about how nothing could be seen. It must have just been a coincidence, though. "There's nothing to see here~" Xion kept a steady gait behind Miyuki, too busy finishing off her cake to turn into a weapon this time. Her humming was soft, but it should at least give her feedback on a large enough area to avoid missing any hidden doors or strange whatevers in the corridor.

Plus, there was more to Xion than just echolocation. Much, much more. Her hearing was by far the most acute, but her sense of smell, touch, and even taste were all abnormally sensitive. They all contributed to the "sight" see saw of the world.

Solas Crua

BlackJack1995

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:39 pm
_______________The Narrator Whispers... ||
At some point, the sounds of the machine following the pair faded away, as if they had gotten to a point where its patrol ended, and it no longer viewed them as a threat. However, the darkness of the tunnel did not let up for some time. For Miyuki her tendrils guided the way through the somewhat narrow tunnel. By narrow, it could barely fit two people side-by-side. Every now and then it turned and wove but continued on a steady decline into some place beneath the complex. Xion's view wasn't all that different. Their footsteps echoed enough to provide some view of where they were going, but the turns in the path muffled that sight, cutting it a bit shorter than was helpful. The air smelled musty, untouched for a long period of time, but the walls were dry as a bone. Likewise, the further they went, the the warmer it grew, though it never became as unbearable as being outside.

As Miyuki rounded at turn some unknown amount of time later, she was met with the sudden glow of an old lantern. The light of the small flame was dim, but after the extended darkness, it likely came as a shock to her eyes. Regardless, though, just as promised by Céro, a large metal door stood at the end of the path, separated into three segments. A good amount of heat seemed to radiate from the door, although it itself was only warm to the touch.

Solas Crua

HeadlessKoko

Royal Taorito
Vice Captain

Wrathful Cat

12,925 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500

Aritaryn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:39 pm
User Image

c h a k r a215 // 215
    s t a m i n a 100 // 100

Miyuki remained quiet as she put all of her effort into figuring out where she was going. In fact, it was uncomfortably quiet in general in the pitch black tunnel. All the noise from behind them had vanished, and the old sounds that came now were Xion's humming and the sounds of footsteps. It was enough to drive someone insane if they stayed there long enough. Thankfully, Miyuki was fairly sure they'd both hit that point long ago. Or at least it seemed that way with Xion's strange mannerisms.

At some point, her tendrils felt a wall before her and an opening to the side, followed by a similar corner in the wall, although the second one, oddly enough, had a faint light coming from it. A small smile lit her face as she turned into the firelight and, although she was forced to squint from the surprisingly bright light, she continued forward anyway, pulling Xion along behind her. "The door!" she exclaimed, albeit somewhat quietly so as not to disrupt the silence. The black threads retreated into her skin, recoiling somewhat from the heat radiating from beyond the door. "Ah... It's hot here again. I wonder where we ended up..."

Right, the door. She had a pattern for that, that, as predicted, she'd forgotten. Fortunately, she remembered that she'd written it down for this very situation, and pulled the journal from her bag. On the first page, she had drawn a rectangle divided into three parts, just like the metal door before her. Raising her hand, balled into a fist, carefully, she knocked once on the top section, twice on the middle, and once on the lower, as shown on her diagram, and took a step back to wait and see what happened.

HeadlessKoko
    BlackJack1995

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:57 pm
User ImageThe cake was finished, but not to worry! It respawned~

Though, Xion was now full, so she tucked away the loaf for another time.

Very patiently, Xion waited right behind Miyuki. In fact, she held onto a small part of Miyuki's clothes as she waited. She felt that it was a safe choice, somehow. Though, she wasn't sure what the dangerous choice was. Hm... Perhaps touching the door herself?

Regardless, Miyuki seemed to have the door touch patrol down pat, something Xion noticed when she heard the sound of dainty knocks upon harsh metal. One, two, three, oof! Miyuki backed up right into Xion! But no harm done other than the dreaded physical contact. Xion just took a casual step back to give Miyuki some space.

Solas Crua

BlackJack1995

HeadlessKoko

Invisible Regular

12,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

Royal Taorito
Vice Captain

Wrathful Cat

12,925 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 pm
_______________The Narrator Whispers... ||
Upon knocking on the door, at first, nothing happened, likely causing Miyuki to panic for a moment, thinking she'd gotten the passcode wrong. But then the earth around them rumbled, and the door screeched slowly open, pulling upward into a trench in the ceiling above it. Beyond it, lay a sea of lava, which explained the overwhelming heat. The sky above it was open, but filled with haze and soot, stained a dirty red.

If that weren't enough, from the lava emerged a great scaly beast, not unlike the creature that Cero earlier rode upon, but somehow much larger and...wider. In fact, in comparison, it seemed much less elegant and much more stout. Red-orange eyes that matched the lava around it watched the pair with a profound apathy that even Xion, who couldn't see it, could feel, and a deep growl came from somewhere in its throat, causing the lava to bubble around its nostrils. And then, it spoke. A single word, but one they couldn't understand. "Léi."

Solas Crua

HeadlessKoko

________ Well of Brilliance ► Ancient Ruins

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas