For three days he had been searching for the Legendary, and now he found him, resting in the shadows, surrounded by round furry forms. One of the wolves peeked open a golden eye, regarding him warily before they opened their mouth wide in a giant yawn. And I Darken was given a good look at those very sharp teeth before the wolf tucked its head away.

The Legendary was watching him, red hair falling long and elegantly along his neck, his gaze thoughtful. Handsome, immeasurably so. He oozed an easy confidence, a sense of power, that made Darken’s heart flutter in his head.

He smiled, his most charming smile. “I am here to request your help, please.”

The stag absorbed this, his voice deep and gentle when he spoke. “You’re not going to be a father... yet.”

“And I never will be,” Darken said, a little too hurriedly. “At least, that isn’t... I am here for my sister.” His smile had slipped, so he put it back in place. “Please.”

“Very well,” said the stag, rising, the muscles in his legs and back rippling as he stretched. Darken turned his gaze away.

“Thank you,” he said, slightly breathless.

That was the easiest part of the task.

The worst was to come.

---

“I don’t need any help!” Now I Rise spat, barely giving the stag a cursory glance after Darken had introduced him. She bristled with barely contained rage.“Get him away from me.”

The Killing Moon’s kept his expression as blank as possible, lest any show of amusement send her into a further meltdown.

The doe was rounded around the middle, belly bulging with obvious life. She also looked ready to rip someone’s throat open with her teeth.

“Rise,” Darken cajoled, “please. This is for your own good. If you would just-”

“I am fine.”

She turned abruptly and stalked away. Darken hastened after her, with The Killing Moon trailing behind.

“It’s not just about you,” he stressed. “Think of the children!”

“Who cares about them! I don’t even want them!”

She tore viciously as a plant as she walked by and when she only managed to strip a couple of leaves, made a point to stop and kick it out of the ground by the roots. Darken watched with a creased brow and clear worry.

“I don’t want them and I don’t need them,” Rise declared once she had stamped down on the offending plant one last time.

“That’s fine,” Darken sighed. “But if you leave them, they at least deserve the best chance to survive.”

Now I Rise frowned, looking genuinely baffled. “They already do. They are my children.”

To this And I Darken had no response but he did look helplessly towards the stag.

The Killing Moon wasn’t entirely sure what the protocol was on unwilling parents. He’d never had anyone straight up refuse his assistance. Though now and then again he didn’t give them a choice, he’d simply done the deed and carried on his way.

“I can make them stronger,” he offered.

“That sounds great,” Darken added with a little nod, hoping his sister caught his enthusaism.

It didn't work. Now I Rise narrowed her eyes. “Of course my children will be strong.”

“Of course,” The Killing Moon laughed softly. His eyes gleamed. “They will be strong and healthy, ready to rise to any challenge but wise enough to know their limits. May they also be as patient as their uncle.”

“Thank you,” Darken said, full of gratitude and warmth, the gentle adoration in his eyes a lovely thing to see.

“Wait," Rise spat, as soon as she realized that she'd just been blessed. “Take it back! I’ll kill you!” She stamped her hoof, a wild look in her eyes.

But the Legendary was already gone, a eaglehound on the run.