Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
THEY KILLED THE EASTER BUNNY!!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yami_Ichi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:01 pm
Wow...

This is just taking it a little too far for me.

The Easter Bunny is merely a symbol of joy; something that will bring one joy. But the Christians had to go and ruin that.

This brings us to what I would call my breaking point. I knew that Christians wanted to keep holidays the way they were. But, they have no right to destroy the joy that others have. People celebrate things in different ways; Christians want everyone to see things their way or it is wrong.

One of the reasons I changed. I saw no point in telling others they were wrong for how they did things. The Christians think that if we have any joy in the holiday, we are all going to hell. Before you know it, they will be removing Santa (they are in the process).

They all need to realize that they are NOT the ones who are right. For all I know, no one can be 100% right. I know that I am wrong alot of the time. Yet, they all think that they are always right and that they never do anything wrong. They have to make everyone else's life more miderable so they think that they did the right thing by 'showing them the light'.

BULL ******** s**t!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:22 pm
That's like taking the dradle (sp?) out of Channukah.

Because EVERYONE sings the dradle song. stare

Okay, so the bunny is a religious symbol (or so I've heard)

But people can use the same subject to mean different things.

The non-christians around here use the bunny to represent spring.  

Pistil

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:02 pm
Eh? I don't quite get your point, or maybe I misunderstood you.
They were removing the signs of a religious holiday. Christians weren't trying to do anything, in fact some would actually be the ones upset about this since they celebrate Easter.

Article
Likewise, Human Rights Director Tyrone Terrill's voice mail was full and his office was barely keeping pace with the flood of e-mails, many of them hate-filled. Terrill had sent Lantry an e-mail saying "it would be a good thing" to take down the Easter decorations because they could be offensive to non-Christians.
"My issue was not about the rabbit or the egg, it was the sign on the door that said, 'Happy Easter,' " Terrill said Thursday. "We talk about diversity, respect, inclusion. When you put that on the front door of a government office, it could be offensive to someone who's a Muslim, a Jew, an atheist, what have you. That's my job to bring it to someone's attention."

Easter banners and things were removed to prevent from potentially offending those who DO NOT believe in Easter, such as atheists. It's about being politically correct. What's politically correct is often to sort of stifle the majority. For example, calling Christmas break in schools a 'Winter Holiday.' Sometimes it goes a little far and people can get very hypocritical with not allowing Christian references since they're in the majority, but allowing people of other religions what they want out of fear of getting in trouble over it. And in some cases it definitely can be the opposite problem.

Easter and symbols of the bunny and egg go back further than Christianity anyways, to pagan celebrations of spring and fertilty.
A lot of it is still just a secular celebration too, but it also does have religious ties for a lot of people so they were opting for the 'better safe than sorry' route as far as interpretation of the holiday goes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:15 pm
Yami_Ichi
For all I know, no one can be 100% right.

1 + 1 = 2

100% right.

Just thought I'd throw that in. heart

Syrenka

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:21 am
Miss Mistral
Yami_Ichi
For all I know, no one can be 100% right.

1 + 1 = 2

100% right.

Just thought I'd throw that in. heart

There's a mathematician somewhere who can prove that wrong. =)  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:26 am
Last time I checked...the Easter Bunny is not a religious symbol.

It think it goes back to what Easter was originally celebrated as before christianity decided to use the day to celebrate some aspect of thier religion.

The Rabbit/Hare has always been a symbol of fertility. Spring is a time where the world is coming alive, animals are giving birth, and the world seems to renew itself. Thus having the Rabbit(bunny) symbolize the time of the season for what it is worth makes sense.

The Easter Bunny is a name originally tacked on by the religious to help shy away what the original holiday was. It originally was a celebration of Renewal/fertility. To celebrate the new season.

It is the same as when they decided when to celebrate christmas. They put it on a day that other cultures/religious already celebrated as a Winter Holiday...as a Winter Festival to be more exact.

Sanguvixen

Yami_Ichi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:35 am
Thanks, Caustic. I can see that part now. I thought I read it all, guess I skimmed over some things.

The bunny is not a religios symbol. The bunny is an add-on. Others added it for fun. A lot of Christians do not like it because they say it takes away focus from the true meaning.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:41 pm
Most of our holidays aren't really Christain anyway, they simply changed to holaday to accomidate the other people's celebrations and named it christain. After all, Christains whre not always the Majority. Therefore, they should not take down holidays saying they're christain because they're not. Most of those are unversaly celebrated.  

~Fashionably~Challanged~

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff