Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Ignorance is bliss, but it's depressing me.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:12 am
*sigh*

There's this girl at my school, Andy. Her grandmother died from natural causes a couple years back, and believe me:

She NEVER got over it.

I've heard her talking about feeling her grandmother's spirit in the wind, talking to her in prayer, etc...

One time, she actually told me to pray for her to win a ball game. Coming out like that is like having someone suprise-burst a zit on the back of your neck, I says.

-_- Ignorance may be bliss, but it looks pretty sad to me.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:18 pm
How horrid. So annoying.  

~Fashionably~Challanged~

iviary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:05 pm
Have you had someone close to you die?
It may not be the same for everyone, but I never really "get over" the deaths of my loved ones. As I'm not religious, I don't feel able to talk to my passed relatives, nor do I expect to see them again, but there are times I suppose you could say I feel their presence. When a train whistle blows, when their clock tick-tocks on our wall, when I wear some of their old jewelry, when I smell a certain perfume or flower, when I see a certain shade of pink, or any other everyday occurence that reminds me of them, they could almost be there in the room.

I was still religious when my grandfather died. I felt sure he had wiped away my tears at the funeral, when I felt tears rolling down my face, and yet my face was dry to the touch. Although I don't believe that was the case anymore, I still recall the sensation and the elated feeling it gave me quite vividly.

I don't hold anything against people that continue to remember those they love, even if it's not in a way that I would. I hope someone bears my memory when I die.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:10 pm
Hmmm....I've never had someone close to me die.

When any one of my animals passed on in the past I have felt very hurt and upset. The way I look at it, one should remember thier loves ones who die not for being dead.

Remember them for when they were alive. That is how I would want people to remember me. I don't want them to think of me, and think of me as dead. I want them to think of me, and think of me when I was alive.

That girl needs to be checked into a mental ward, or go see a shrink.
She needs to realize that she can't talk to the dead, and praying for victory in a ball-game is foolish.

Sanguvixen

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:58 pm
I agree kind of with Iviary and Sangu.
I don't know enough about the girl or what she does, but I think there's a certain extent to which this sort of thing is acceptable. People don't have to get over a person quickly, or really ever get over them and forget, but you should be able to function normally and move on with things.
I think it'd be a different story if she was claiming to see her grandmother around or something more extreme, although talking to her in prayer does sound kind of odd. Holding on to that degree seems like it would do more harm than good.

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games