Submit

Teiha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:46 pm
User Image
Name: Thovorn
Sex: Male
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Craft: Former Journeyman Wherhandler
Physical Description: Tall, broad-shouldered, pale, light blue eyes, black hair, aquiline nose, thin lips

Personality: At first impression, Thovorn strikes most as a pleasant, though formal man. He puts much stock in decorum, choosing his words and actions with great care. This, coupled with his firm opinions and workplace regulations specific enough to split hairs, can lead to his being rather cold and distant, particularly from the standpoint of an employee. His business sense has brought more wealth to Hadston than its own Lord Holder ever did, but unfortunately, that doesn’t stop the mine workers from seeing him as an imperious taskmaster, or from believing that they deserve more for their work. In fact, his behavior often enforces their views.

At times he spends weeks away from Hadston, meeting with customers or attending other social obligations. When he is present, however, there are days when he seems obsessed with his work, motivated by some inner demon. He is always making changes, both small and great, perfecting the machine that is Hadston Mine. His mine. His source of security in a world gone beyond Between since the return of thread to its skies. The only person whose opinion he defers to is his mother, for he does not wholly trust anyone else aside from Esharth, his dragon.

He is a quietly arrogant man, knowing that everything he has was won fairly and without anyone else's help. He masks it with his well-mannered words, but there are times when his pride comes to the surface. Thovorn will never let others take credit for his efforts, nor will he tolerate his sacrifices being dragged through the mud. He looks down on those of means without working for it, despising them for their indolence and waste. In his heart of hearts, however, he envies them the ease in which they live, especially those whose families remain whole.

Positive Trait List Respectful, resourceful, driven
Negative Trait List Prideful, jealous, cold
History:

(The following is NOT COMMON KNOWLEDGE. Other characters will NOT know it unless explicitly told so by Thovorn himself.)
Thovorn’s father, a wealthy merchant, died when he was a boy. His family doesn’t talk about this often, because they later learned that, due to the impending collapse of his business, he took his own life—not a detail they want to dwell upon or spread around. What little they had left after the man’s death went to creditors. Thovorn and his mother lived in poverty for turns, barely kept afloat by her dogged efforts and sacrifices. Influenced by her determination, when the boy was old enough he worked very hard to help make ends meet.

In his teenage turns, he found work in the mines of Crom and became wherhandler to bronze Thosk, who was lost at age two to a sudden release of of explosive gas in the mines. He then bonded closely to Thovorsk, a very loyal brown. Thorvorsk was lost to a cave-in at age four. Thovorn so shaken by the loss of his best friend that it drove him to leave the mines and fully immerse himself in the quest for profit. He never gambled, borrowed or invested; everything he acquired was earned by the sweat of his own brow. The risk of loss, to him, was just too great, and trusting in an uncertainty was just foolish besides.

In 3566, he visited High Reaches Weyr. A new Weyrwoman and Weyrleader had recently been appointed, and there was a dragon clutch on the sands as a result. It was an auspicious event that would certainly draw many potential trade connections. He left the Weyr an entire turn later, riding blue Esharth, whom he’d Impressed from the stands. The dragon was ever so supportive of his ambitions, and often served as a voice over his shoulder, goading him on to higher and higher goals. Esharth was a balm to his wounded soul... but also a creeping poison.

With this draconian counselor as his heavy-handed guide, he worked like one possessed until he had saved enough marks to literally buy his way into his current position as master of Hadston Mine from the Lord Holder, who had no heir and was tired of dealing with the mine’s financial obligations to Crom. He was given ownership of the mine in all but name, having full control but also full responsibility to pay levies to Crom. With this livelihood secured, he now dotes upon his mother, giving her every comfort he can afford as thanks for everything she’d done to take care of him.

To the folk of Hadston Hold, Master Thovorn appeared out of the ether one day to lord it over them. What had possessed their Lord to hand the mine over to him, no one could fathom. Tales of blackmail, bribery, and gossip of the man being the Lord’s illegitimate son ran rampant from the day of his arrival. The man also brought a dragon with him when he came to Hadston—a genteel, stridently-marked blue born of the Queen of the High Reaches Weyrwoman herself. And oh, the lurid speculation on how that came to be! Said to be swimming in marks and cutting a tall, dark and toothsome figure, he attracted the notice of quite a few of Hadston’s ladies (and their fathers, looking for lucrative marriages for them). He was always polite, and his mother a gracious hostess, but their answers were always “no.” Even his best business connections shook their heads for the shame of it.

Thovorn ignored it all, putting his aquiline nose to the grindstone and making extensive changes to the way the mine was run, turning it into a real business. Work hours were increased. Extra overseers were brought in to make sure workers came and left on time, and that they didn’t dally about while on duty. There were never advances on pay, nor raises to be had. Miners and laborers were “let go” and forcibly removed on sight if caught breaking certain rules—and no one was exempt, no matter how many children they had to feed. It wasn’t long before people began to complain. But they didn’t have a choice. Hadston was a mining hold. There was little else there, and if someone left the mine, there were always others to fill the void. In any case, Thovorn had the complete support and approval of the Lord Holder, who was just relieved to be free of the responsibility.

DRAGON
Name: Esharth
Color: Blue
Size: 33’
Physical Description: Esharth has the looks of a creature who would be at home in the water. He is low and long, his body made of curves like those of a bending river, the markings of his blue hide reminiscent of the water’s ripples and varying shades of depth. He carries himself with a similar flow, slinking about with sinuous movements. He prefers the darkness, being unusually active at night and spending much of his time in the hand-carved tunnels of the mines, lurking and observing with cold slate eyes.

Personality: Esharth looks down on the world with a fierce malevolence, finding little in it to be worth very much. He was born with eyes only for his rider. From the moment his shell cracked, he could sense the magnificent, lonesome creature who struggled with the heart of a mighty feline—and yet doubted himself. He braved the sands alone, thrusting all pretenders and hypocrites aside in his charge to the lowest row of the stands. There, high above him, was his man. Thovorn.

Esharth was only a hatchling, but it was not long before he learned why Thovorn’s heart had compelled him so. He had fought tooth and claw to survive in a world full of men who chewed up and spit each other out, destroying hearts and lives, all for selfish gain. It did not matter if they resided in a Weyr or in a Hold or in the wilds as raiders. Humans were all the same. If that was the game to be played, Esharth was willing to play it, and do so better than any of those others. Together, they would face the world, and crush their foes.

He became Thovorn’s shadow, the soft whisper in his ear, always encouraging, always knowing the most direct route to bring his lifemate out as the victor. If Thovorn was unsure, Esharth would gently press him with the softest of spurs, continually administered until he finally did what needed to be done. These days, he is feared and hated at large in Hadston, often prowling the mines, watching the workers from the shadows and “listening” to their attitudes. If any are slacking, misusing equipment, in an off-limits area, or if any dare speak ill of his lifemate, he is quick to inform the overseers, turning their ears with his sweet words. Many jobs were lost in recent turns because of his reports.

On rare occasions, he can be heard humming a melody that he has carried with him since he was a hatchling. On even rarer occasions, he will recite its lyrics for a deserving audience. It is the law he lives by, words drawn from his own hearts when he was very young.

Be thou wary, little one,
Whether rain, or whether sun;
The world feigns as something pure
But only those who doubt endure.
If you would be counted wise,
You would not believe its lies.
If you desire to live well,
First you’ll have to save yourself.
Then your eyes shall watch above,
Lest harm come to your one true love.

Positive Trait List Sophisticated, well-spoken, intelligent
Negative Trait List Ruthless, manipulative, cold, legalistic
Dragon Art or Proof of Obtainment: https://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?page=1&t=25190477#381479145  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 am

Fantastic character. However, his personality is so riddled with history that I am struggling to make out some of his flaws. I love the ones you chose, I just think that they aren't fully reflected in his personality.

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

Teiha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:05 am
Changed some wording, added another paragraph. Thanks for the check, Cheri! I knew that section didn't feel quite right, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I think you hit it on the nose.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:34 am

Approved! biggrin

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

Approved Characters

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items