Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fantaisie City

Back to Guilds

The hardest part is opening your heart... 

Tags: Roleplay, Literate, Romance, Slice of Life, Secrecy 

Reply ღ Affluent Area
FC Medical Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Yozo

Captain

Dapper Fatcat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:24 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:29 pm
User Image
Roland Baker

- - - - - - - -

A black sedan slowly drove through a layer of slush as it passed a fourteen-story condo complex, its generous balconies absent of occupants. The rear license plate simply read, in a plain black font over a white background, "XX Government" followed by the plate's alphanumeric identifier. The front license plate, when read by a curious onlooker, would read the same way. Inside, one could make out two individuals, though the window tint would make it impossible to distinguish the two figures' hair and skin colors, let alone their finer, minuscule features. One of the men sat in the driver's seat, appearing to wear a grey dress coat bearing the Government insignia on his right sleeve. Immediately behind the driver, another man sat hunched over his opened briefcase, tapping away at what was an embedded keyboard while reading the contents of some report on the briefcase's internal screen. His very eyes bore a burden of sorts, but the man's mind was anything but as the sedan's occupants continued their way uptown.

Flashback - Two Weeks Ago

"Agent Baker! We're glad you could make it tonight. Higher-ups told us about your arrival; call me Rosalind, " Rosaline, a female investigator, spoke. From Roland's entrance at the closed door, Rosalind sat at the far end of a conference table, its surface cleared of papers. Another agent sat opposite from where Roland would take his seat, to the woman's right. convex lens of the table's

"It is my pleasure, Supervisor Chaudhry," Roland spoke, setting his hardened briefcase on the wooden tabletop. "Lambert told me the bare basics, and so did this file- if I may plug in the video cable?"

"Anytime, investigator," the agent sitting across from Roland replied, unplugging his VGA cable before Roland took the free end and plugged it into his own device. The blackened screen flickered before the login shell appeared on the projection. Roland withdrew his USB key from his pocket and plugged it besides the cable after he supplied his user credentials. Afterwards, the investigator double-clicked on a desktop icon, and another woman's face appeared on screen. Agent Michaelsdottir once again met Roland's gaze on his screen, with the other agent taking notice.

"Go ahead, Agent Baker. Inform us of the situation, and we will share what we know with you," the as-of-yet unknown woman urged, leaning back into her worn swivel chair. Roland did not speak, but scrolled through multiple pages of what were classified data until a section titled "Special Notes" in monospace text appeared.

"Let's get started. If we summarize Lambert's briefing correctly, Agent Michaelsdottir was sent here two months ago to investigate
something that is otherwise redacted in my copy of the report. Her handler last reported contact with her three Sundays ago when she delivered her weekly report. Finally, she disappeared on the last day of the previous month, exactly two weeks ago, or at least her cell signal died near this hospital. No successful contact via remote means has successfully happened, nor has anyone seen her at her apartment. Is this accurate so far?"

"So far, yes. Please continue," said Supervisor Rosalind, her lips curled slightly into a frown, but for what reason? "Go on."

Roland gazed back down to his screen.
I should finish first, he concluded, skipping several pages into the Special Notes. "Avery Michaelsdottir is not known to have made any run-ins with any known criminal elements, and she has received training in advanced close-quarters combat; if she was mugged, she would have certainly fought off her assailant in fisticuffs, or gunshots would have been heard by facility staff on that very night. If there is a firearm involved in her disappearance, it must be silenced for nobody to have heard any gunfire; at any rate, this neighborhood is not known for violent crime according to historical data. Am I presenting anything novel, inaccurate, or unnecessary?"

"Not at all, Agent Baker."

"No, sir."

End of flashback

"Agent Baker? We have arrived at the hospital," announced the chauffeur, unlocking the rear left passenger door. "Is everything alright?"

Roland snapped back to the present: His laptop screen had blacked out and entered sleep mode ten minutes prior. He yawned, closing the briefcase lid; something from that disturbing meeting two weeks ago worsened the restless man's mood, and a frantic call from one of the hospital's doctors did not sound pleasant... But now was not the time to lollygag. Roland took his laptop with him as he stepped out of his car into the Visitation Garage; the chauffeur had managed to park in a non-handicapped space on the first level, giving the investigator a straight path to the garage's exit. "Could be better. I will call the motor pool once my work is done here. I have questions to ask around here."

"Stay safe, Agent Baker!"

"You do the same, Brighton!" The black sedan departed from the garage, leaving Roland to his devices as he walked along the pedestrian paths encircling the parking spaces until he reached the opening. Before Roland stood FC Medical's campus in its pristine condition. Not too far away, the ER entrance had three ambulances surrounded by teams of EMTS and nurses moving patients from the vehicles to gurneys before orderlies would rush them inside. A parked police car sat besides the ER entrance, though the attending officer was nowhere to be seen. Probably a DUI, the investigator grimaced, crossing the pedestrian junction during a traffic lull. He did not wish to get involved in state- or province-level matters if he could at all help it, lest he accidentally take on an investigation outside his scope of responsibility when he needed all his time to solve a national-level concern.

Prepared for the worst, Roland stepped through the main entrance into the main hospital lobby, closing the door behind him. Time to find the doctor, and quick.

- - -

Mood: Alert
Company: Government chauffeur
Outfit: Black leather shoes & matching slacks, white tucked-in dress shirt, and a low-profile black armored vest underneath a black winter coat.
Armaments: Standard-issue .22 semiautomatic handgun (Holstered)  

A-T

Wind Hime Princess

Devoted Dabbler

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:27 pm
A-T

User Image
"Let the song of life guide you to the place you wish to go."

On the steps to the entrance of FC Medical, a girl walked with careful steps and focused eyes on the building in front of her. While her steps looked light, she had felt that if she got careless, she could fall in any moment. In addition, the reason for her to make this trip was rather embarrassing.

The weather had gotten colder. While she had not disliked this kind of temperature, it was trouble when she wished to clean herself. The sensation was greatest when the water was not warmed up as she did not like it when it got too hot, but it got easier for her to get sick in this season. The fact she ended up arriving at a hospital served the above case.

It was strange in a way. She could get sick like any human but still retained her power as a Lorelei. The experience was uncomfortable: coughs, headaches and runny nose. She had waited for the sickness to get better, but it appeared it become worse. Surprisingly, she still had the common sense of needing to find the place that cured her cold despite not having recollection about it. 'A past instinct?' She wondered.

Her footsteps wobbled more as she got closer to the hospital. There was that feeling of relief when she thought of feeling better as she passed through the entrance door, heading for the direction that she thought to be the receptionist. Despite the unchanging expression on her face that looked conscious, her eyes glazed over and cheeks flushed. That was also the reason why she tripped and bumped into someone. In her haze, she could only see black on the other person (hair, clothing or something else? She could not distinguish) but she knew to quickly apologize for her behavior. "My apologies. I did not mean to hit you." Her voice was a bit raspy from the cold, but it was still pleasant to hear. She tried to separate herself from the stranger, coughing a few times in a process. It seemed to be that her cold was getting worse.

MOOD → Tired
OUTFIT → White sun hat with decorated flowers, ankle-length dress and sandals.
OOC →  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:10 pm
User Image
Roland Baker

- - - - - - - -

Roland Baker joined the end of a short line as soon as he stepped foot inside the lobby. Signs posted around the public space were typical for a hospital: Reminders to wash hands between bedside rounds, fundraisers for congenital conditions such as primary immunodeficiency, autism, and epilepsy; and reminders for caregivers to receive their annual flu shots were plastered across every bulletin board available in the expansive lobby. Lysol or another pungent antiseptic solution could be discerned from one corridor leading down a wing. It seemed that a nasty C diff. infection had taken a toll on a patient, for a sign warning against staring into UV sources during terminal cleanups was posted outside a keypad-locked room. Across the quarantined operating theater was a BSL-3 staging area where the morning surgeons were busy decontaminating themselves and their surgical gear.

Memories of his military life slowly ebbed into mind even as the investigator tried not to permit them otherwise: The military hospital Roland had been stationed at was particularly notorious not for its standards (The army doctors in the desert excelled even under dire conditions) but by the sheer brutality and variety of injuries handled by those selfless soldiers. Though he had only gone in to have a round removed from his left shoulder, there were those with gangrenous limbs who had only minutes, seconds even, before their prognosis changed from critical to certain death. Expectedly, the man jolted slightly when he felt a mass collapse against his back.

"Would you mi-" Roland began when he twitched around. Instead of an aggressor, a striking woman of below-average height and a thin build greeted his eyes. s**t. Somebody's not feeling well... Maybe she needs help finding the ER? Roland glanced down the wing which had a room undergoing a terminal cleanup: He could make out several signs indicative of the ER's presence... But that would do little good if this stranger needed a walking assist. "It is fine. Would you need any help finding a physician?" Welp, there went thirty potential minutes of investigation work, something that tore him apart internally. However, the words of Lambert echoed through his mind: "Remember: Focus on the mission, but pay attention to those who heed your assistance."

- - -

Mood: Startled, Concerned
Company: An ailing woman
Outfit: Black leather shoes & matching slacks, white tucked-in dress shirt, and a low-profile black armored vest underneath a black winter coat.
Wind Hime Princess

A-T

Wind Hime Princess

Devoted Dabbler

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:36 am
A-T

User Image

Sharon blinked as a deep voice flew in her ears. It took a short second for her mind to return as she took a deep breath to focus her sense. A few blinks made the surroundings a bit clearer, white walls and plenty of people. It appeared that the inside was crowded than it had appeared, but thankfully not too much. She looked to the line and then to the man in front of her. The phrase "Tall, dark and handsome" may be suitable to describe him. It surprised her when he offered help and it took her a brief second to nod in acceptance. While she had expected annoyance, she did not expect kindness.

"Yes please, if it's no trouble for you." She had brought trouble to the person and would rather not trouble him further, but she felt that going by herself in this condition would just result in creating problems for someone else. She should return the favor when she had the chance. "I was finding the way to the doctor for my cold." She then added "Well, more specifically, the receptionist. I did not know how the process work here, so I was thinking to ask for information there." If the stranger knew about the process of the hospital, she would not need to return the receptionist. That was why she added the last bit.

She took in another breath, trying to make herself feel better just a little. The cough and the burn in the throat was still there, now coupled with headaches. Standing up more upright, she waited for the man to lead the way. The trip to her destination would be faster and more comfortable with support from someone, but she felt it was rather strange to ask the man for anything more.

MOOD → Tired
OUTFIT → Sun hat with decorated flowers, ankle-length dress and sandals
OOC →  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:28 pm
User Image
Roland Baker

- - - - - - - -

"Let's get going. Follow me," Roland beckoned to the woman as he broke from the line and led the way down the hallway to his left. Corridors branching from the main hall fed into what one could imagine to be recovery rooms, biohazard closets, utility panels, and other mission-critical sections required to sustain FC Medical's operations. A security kiosk at a four-way intersection sat empty, its former occupant probably making their rounds through this particular section of the hospital. "Judging from your condition, it seems you might have more than a cold. Let me know if you need a walking assist." He was no doctor, but Roland had suffered enough shivering, unsteadiness, headaches, and fevers to recognize the flu when he saw it. I guess I'll see if my vaccine works out this year, he thought, stopping before the T-intersection at the hall's end. Overhead signs indicated a fire exit to the left, and, more relevantly, the ER reception to his right.

"Agent Baker! Is that you?" A bespectacled man called after the two individuals, his baby blue scrubs and hair net moist from a recent Lysol shower.

"Ah, I take it you are Dr. Bolaji? I assume Agent Rosalind told you to find me," Roland inquired, turning his body towards the doctor who approached the suited man and his ill follower. The seasoned surgeon's welcoming expression was muffled by the thick gauze mask padding his nose and mouth, and the palms of his worn hands appeared cracked. Seems he's worked here for a while, thought Roland, shooting a side glance to the hatted woman. "Unfortunately, Doctor, we will have to speak in a bit. This woman here seems out of it, and I must help her first."

"Please do what you must, Agent Baker, but return to my office ASAP. There's a new development in the ba-,"

"I will join you in your office momentarily. I can help resolve this discovery then," Roland interrupted, facing the ER-bound hallway at the junction. "If anything else stands out, save it for our meeting."

The surgeon covered his gauze-covered mouth as he coughed. "Understood. Thank you, Investigator."

As Dr. Bolaji returned to the security desk, Roland continued the way which would take the investigator past another intersection, and one with considerable activity: A nurse could be seen through an interior window attaching a respirator to an unconscious man's face while the nurse's colleague scrambled to replace a depleted IV solution. "I take it this is your first time visiting a hospital in a long while?" Roland asked, rubbing his index finger and thumb together uncomfortably, stepping around two doctors whispering to each other over some unknown patient's vitals. "I am Agent Baker with the Bureau, by the way. Roland Baker if you'd like."

- - -

Mood: Purposeful
Company: An ailing woman, various medical staff
Wind Hime Princess

A-T

Wind Hime Princess

Devoted Dabbler

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:10 pm
A-T

User Image

She nodded as she followed, eyes taking notice at the changing surroundings. Because her body was still rather weak, her movement was slow and she was thankful that the man had not walked fast. Corridors and rooms appeared, spotting signs with names she did not completely understand. The offer of assist from the man brought a discreet smile on her face that softened her features. "Understood. Thank you." His comment about her current condition brought more consideration about her present illness.

They stopped at a room when a man came out, spotting a doctor-like clothing. Given the extra items that he wore, she supposed that he would have more specialty in research or lab department, not the general inspection. The conversation between the men was of normal subject, but words like "Agent" and "Investigator" that popped up confused her for a moment. Their trip continued as they passed another intersection with more activity and a heavier smell of sanitizer. Nursed bustled around, quickly tending to their patients. She winced a little at the sight of sharp syringes pushing into someone's skin. There was also someone with a bag of something sticking out of them. The sight was rather intimidating. She did not want to end up like that, hopefully, her treatment would not be something like those.

She was quick to turn her attention back to the man as he started talking. "Yes. It is my first time going to a hospital, actually." She shuddered at more sights of more treatments and unconsciously moved closer to the man. His voice was closer and clearer to her now with the reduced distance. Ah, Bureau...So he was an officer. She could understand why the doctor had added that honorifics now. "My name is Sharon Engel. Thank you for helping me."

She had not missed the oddity of someone from the Bureau had come to the hospital. There was a brief hesitation as she rethought her choice before asking. "If it is fine for me to ask, why is someone from the Bureau is here? Is there something happening?" From her limited knowledge, usually the reason for police appearance was rather serious.

MOOD → Tired but thankful
OOC →  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:06 pm
User Image
Roland Baker

- - - - - - - -

Roland stopped before a pair of metallic double doors, tilting his head as he looked through the glass port: An empty gurney stood besides a vacant operating theater while an orderly applied the finishing touches of a disinfectant on a bedpan before setting it at the gurney's foot. Through the doors, the bustling noises of patient arrivals, triages, and admissions reverberated among the ER wing's corridors. "Any time, Sharon." Roland pressed a button perpendicular to the double doors, stepping back when the hydraulic limbs pushed the entrance open. "When we reach the receptionist, you will want to be honest and thorough with your symptoms. Best case scenario- and this is probable- they might send you home with a reminder to drink plenty of fluids and get some bed rest."

Roland passed through the double doors, stepping foot inside the ER proper. The orderly turned to see a black-suited investigator and his lightweight partner, but said nothing as the officer passed the busy attendant. Addressing Sharon's earlier question, Roland's eyes and mouth became expressionless; how much should the man tell an ordinary citizen? On one hand, something disturbing in Avery Michaelsdottir's investigation resulted in her disappearance; given Sharon's state as well as those of the injured and comatose at this facility, inciting panic was the very worst thing as far as their mental well-being was concerned. That said... What if something happened to himself after he left for the basement? Better not to give too many details if I must, Agent Baker surmised, tensing his jaw. "I'm here to investigate a missing person's whereabouts. That doctor from earlier might have the information I need to help locate their position. Beyond that, I'm afraid to say I am not at liberty to share further details."

As he said this, the two individuals would find themselves emerging from the ER hallway into the ER waiting room. A short girl was resting her head against her mom's lap while the woman stroked her daughter's frizzy black hair. Across from the seated pair sat a man kneeling over his knees, clutching at his lower-right abdomen. His pained face barely made eye contact with Roland before he stared back at the ground; he probably had a case of appendicitis if his apparent signs were anything to go by. At the eastern end, a nursing assistant sat before a computer terminal, calling up different names within seconds of each other. "We are here, Sharon. You will want to report to that receptionist; they will ask you for your name and other information before you're asked to take a seat." Roland extended a finger to the desk. "Do you have any other questions?"

- - -

Mood: Helpful
Company: Sharon Engel, patients, and a CNA
Wind Hime Princess

A-T

Wind Hime Princess

Devoted Dabbler

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:52 pm
A-T

User Image

Sharon nodded as she followed Roland through the double doors, listening carefully to his instruction. Seemed simple enough. "Understood. I do hope that my case would be just normal." As she watched the man, she did not miss the change of expression on his face. He talked about a missing person case, but she felt that something else was hidden. Nonetheless, she did not push for more details. It was not her business. "I see. That seemed concerning. I hope you would be able to find that person soon. If there is something that I can help, please do tell me." She was genuine in her offer. It would be safer for everyone if any criminal case was resolved quickly.

The room beyond the double doors was of calmer activities than the previous surroundings. Multiple people sat on chairs, waiting for their turn to be called. Her eyesight stayed a bit longer on the daughter-mother pair, lost in thought. It reminded her of her lost memories. She wondered if she had a family, of what had happened to them and so on. Yet, no matter how much she tried, her mind remained empty, like there was no memory like that in the first place. When she gained focus, it was just in time to understand the main ideas of his guidance. She gave him a nod to show her understanding of the instructions. "I understand." She followed the direction he had suggested at. "I would like to check whether if I understand correctly. The steps are: give information at the desk, wait for name and more instruction there?"

Just as she finished her summary, the door to the room was pushed open as nurses and doctors rushed in. The burnt smell in the air made her brow knit together. Seemed like an emergency.

MOOD → Curious
OOC →  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:37 pm
User Image
Roland Baker

- - - - - - - -

"Precisely. Answer the receptionist's questions, and they will triage you-" Just as Roland finished the last syllable, the sudden rush of medical personnel behind the man forced him to look behind: He stepped aside as two orderlies and a CNA rushed a gurney through the ER lobby and out the ER exit where an ambulance had just pulled in. Roland did not say another word for a minute or two as the team of doctors followed their subordinates outside, brushing past the startled Investigator while he watched a relay line of nurses haul metal containers after the loaded gurney. "Dear God, tonight is an active night," he sighed. Reaching into his vest's inner pocket, he fumbled through a deck of somethings that were approximately the same dimensions as business cards before pulling out one such thing: A bald eagle superimposed on a blue background with a holographic stripe running down the front's right end and an embossed phone number with "Sr. Criminal Investigator Roland Baker" as its caption appeared on the front. On the card's back end, additional phone numbers for tips, hotlines, and the regional state police force would be available to its reader.

"While I appreciate your concern, there's little the general population can do at this point. However, if you see something, feel free to contact me, the Bureau, or this state's tip hotline for anything suspicious. Of course, if you see or experience something life threatening, 911 will also give you access to an operator," Roland said, passing the card to his female contact. "I wish you a speedy and thorough recovery," Agent Baker smiled weakly, before turning back to the passage from where the two had came and slowly jogging up to a full sprint down the hallway, leaving Sharon, the medical attendants, and other patients to their own devices. After those ten minutes, his mind was completely refreshed, ready to meet Dr. Bolaji and his team wherever they would meet in the hospital's lowermost floor.

- - -

Mood: Alert
Company: Sharon, patients, medical staff
Wind Hime Princess

A-T

Wind Hime Princess

Devoted Dabbler

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:46 pm
A-T

User Image

She followed Roland to move out of the way to let the doctors and the gurney pass by, fumbling a bit in the process. It made her unstable in her steps for a few seconds, but she did not trip and fall. "Yes, indeed. I hope that nothing too dangerous or serious is happening." She watched as the emergency staff disappeared in sight. Turning her attention to the card that was given to her, she accepted the card from the officer. Printed on the rectangle paper was a set of information of Agent himself and other details. The design was simple, straightforward and easy to understand. It also reminded her of the basic phone emergency phone numbers she should have learned. She supposed she should be doing that soon. Nodding in acknowledgment, she quickly put the card away in the pocket of her dress. It was a new trend to have pockets for dresses now, opposite of the older times. Convenient.

She nodded to his response. The answer to her offer to help was expected while still a kind manner. The corners of her mouth lifted up in an unconscious smile in appreciation. "Thank you. I hope your investigation will go well." She gave a soft wave to him before he disappeared around the corner. Ah, now it was her turn to register for her checkup. Hopefully, everything would be fine. So, first, to the receptionist...

A brief time later. Evening came.

The checkup went fine. She felt much better than before, but her throat was still scratchy at some part. At least she did not keep coughing every minutes or so. Following the Agent's instruction, she finished the examination fast. Because her condition was not on a light side, she had to take some shorts. There was a brief pain as the needle pierced the skin, but the pain did not last long. The doctor gave her prescriptions on a list of pills with instructions she had to squint a little of the messy writing. When it was all done, the day had changed to evening already. She was certain she did not arrive too late for the day, so usually, it should end in the afternoon. Ah, right, the sudden chaos in the middle of the examinations. According to the mixed instruction, everyone was to stay calm and wait until the problem was solved. They had not said for everyone to evacuate, so it must not be something that was too dangerous. However, no one knew the exact what was happening.

She had expected the problem to have been solved earlier she finished the session. However, the sight of increasing men in dark clothing gave her a sense of unease of the thought. Starting to feel rather uncomfortable, she looked around for any hints of what was happening. There was no such clue lying around, but she spotted a familiar face who may know something. That nice Agent. She quickly walked to where he stood. "Agent Baker."

MOOD → Confused
OOC →  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:43 am
User Image
Roland Baker

- - - - - - - -

Flashback - A Few Hours Ago

"Tell me again, Doctor: What did Agent Michaelsdottir say she was investigating?" Roland asked, taking a sip of green tea from a small porcelain cup. "I apologize if my fellow agents sound repetitive, but we need everything written down for the record."

The ebony-skinned researcher was seated opposite from the Agent in a secluded, makeshift office. A framed M.D./Ph.D. double doctorate degree sat encased in glass above Dr. Bolaji's head, the emblem of Johns Hopkins School of Medicine prominently displayed. A CRT monitor from the previous decade sat on top of a slim beige PC case; if one looked closely enough, they could make out a few PCI cards- one of which was a 10 Mbit/s Ethernet card still supporting a Cat 4 cable. Behind the desk, multiple filing cabinets sat adjacent to each other while a wide bookshelf containing three decades' worth of medical journals, research texts, and other unclassified documents. Behind his circular spectacles, the aging researcher's brown eyes still glowed with youth despite his frizzy black hair turning gray in parts; even his early years working as a Level 1 trauma surgeon failed to break his spirit.

"Not at all, Agent Baker. Though, if you don't mind, it would help if I tell the entire story instead," Dr. Bolaji said with a slight Igbo accent, pouring himself another shot of green tea from the desktop teapot. "Do you have a recorder with you? This will be a long story."

"I do, and feel free to tell us the entire ordeal. Another agent will join us in a minute as well- speak of the devil." As Roland said those words, three solid knocks on the office's lightwood indicated the presence of somebody outside the Doctor's office. "Come in, Investigator Lopez!"

"Sorry I'm late, Agent Baker," a uniformed Bureau Investigator said, stepping inside Dr. Bolaji's office. "We have two members of the local police department stationed by the elevator."

"Good. Now let's get started," Agent Baker tilted his head to Dr. Bolaji, pressing a gray palm-sized recorder’s “Record” button. Agent Lopez took his seat in a chair besides Agent Baker's. Seeing that both agents were now in his office, the Doctor cleared his throat.

"Yes. From what your Agent told me, one of my junior researchers spotted something suspicious in our supply rooms nearly three months ago: We were missing three of eighteen mobile freezers rated for our BSL-4 work. My researcher filed a police report which ultimately put him in contact with the chief of police. As these pieces were technically funded and owned by the Federal government, the local PD contacted the Bureau, and so they sent her- Agent Michaelsdottir- to investigate."

"Doctor, how soon did your research assistant inform you of the theft?"

"Almost immediately after he discovered the freezers' absence. He reached out to me through my emergency number,“ The Doctor suppressed a yawn, taking another generous sip of his tea. Agent Lopez appeared to write something down on a notepad, its black genuine leather cover flipped open to a page dotted with scribbles. Roland sighed with relief as he saw the speed at which Agent Lopez wrote; now all he had to focus on was asking the right questions.

”When did you meet Agent Michaelsdottir?”

”I met the lady two days later.” Doctor Bolaji finished his cup of tea, setting the porcelain cup aside on a stack of manila folders. ”She introduced herself and asked to survey the crime scene. At that point, the local police had already cordoned off the area, which has remained under tight control ever since…”

And so, for the next few hours Roland, Agent Lopez, and the Doctor traded answers for questions, yet one remained unsolved: Who would want to interfere with Agent Michaelsdottir?

End of Flashback

”Ramirez, what the hell is going on?” Roland barked, brushing past a startled nurse with his subordinate leading the way. The senior caught up to his junior, and together both men watched two armed officers step aside, giving the Bureau investigators a clear path as they sprinted past a secured operating theater. ”I-“

”I’m sorry to bother you again, sir, but this is urgent!” The younger agent uttered, slowing in his approach to a door leading down a stairwell. Agent Ramirez stopped to open and hold the door open, ushering his superior through. ”There are complaints about a deathly smell coming from one of the basement’s rooms. Officers cannot pinpoint where exactly, but it’s stronger near the floor ventilation shafts-“

”s**t! I can smell it now.” Roland wrinkled his nose, following Agent Ramirez around an aging hall corner. The pearly-white linoleum tiling was cracked near where the floor tiles met the white cinderblock walls, and it did not help that ancient bodily fluid stains dotted the basement floors where patients from another era were once whisked across in their gurneys. It was evident that the basement once served as an extension to the ER, long before the nearby medical college appropriated the disused space for research. At least three entrances to BSL-3 suites were located opposite from a larger dressing room. Normally, each lab entrance had two layers of self-locking doors closed at all times. Recent events, however, meant that at least this portion of the lab had been abandoned for over a month at this point, and so Agents Baker and Ramirez had unimpeded access to the central basement lobby. Roland smiled when he saw four of his fellow agents securing the room, stopping besides the entrance alongside Agent Ramirez. ”We are here. Ramirez, what is-“

”Ah. Agent Baker! It is a pleasure to meet you!” A loud voice rang towards the new arrivals. The man responsible smiled, extending an arm as he approached Roland for a handshake. In turn, Roland grasped the man’s hand firmly once he stepped forward, grimacing weakly.

”Likewise. Agent Ramirez called me here. Said there’s a smell in one of the rooms.” Agent Baker released his grip. The atrium felt surprisingly spacious even for a basement addition: Where there had once been benches for ambulant patients to take their seats had been removed, their post holes marking rows of benches in the former waiting room. Instead, twenty cubicles lined the sidewalls of this particular room with shoulder-high partitions showing the tops of computer monitors and an occasional full-height facsimile machine. For a moment, Roland felt himself relax at just how similar the space felt to his old office elsewhere, if only until he realized the brevity of the situation. A cold, neutral expression took over his face. ”How’s the-“

”Agent Baker.”

Five of the six startled agents nearly reached for their weapons when Roland had recognized that voice, turning his head with surprise as he saw Sharon’s face. ”Men, stand down! I met this civilian earlier; she is a patient here.”

”Sir, with all due respect, you told us to secure the area! She must leave at once,” one of the two investigators near the eastern cubicle row snapped. ”The crime scene will be-“

”She must leave, of course, but I informed her to reach out to me if she has any possible tips,” Roland began, gently motioning his palm outward towards Sharon in a “slow down” kind of fashion. This part of the building normally did not receive visitors; did she get lost and or distracted? ”Men, go ahead and pass me; I will follow you there shortly once I help her with whatever she needs.” Roland’s cold scowl remained, but something in his heart felt… relieved? Normally, the sudden interruption of a possible crime scene investigation would have sent the man into near-panic, and he would have reacted the same as his subordinates at this location. However, Roland’s expression softened, and he nodded ever so slightly while the five uniformed Agents passed Roland, their backs turned to the two remaining individuals. Given this woman’s state, she certainly had an alibi for stumbling around the basement; no point in getting irrationally pissed at an accidental “trespass.” Hell, he did not even see any crime scene tape from the rear entrance; this was an incident for sure, but one where his subordinates were at fault. ”Agent Ramirez?”

”Yes sir?” The intrigued investigator paused, taking a moment to look back into the man’s eyes.

”Thank you for informing me of the development promptly. However, we need to speak later regarding perimeter security procedures…” Roland smirked.

”Ah s**t… S-sorry, sir!” Agent Ramirez stuttered, quickly turning around and rejoining his group which finally left Roland and Sharon alone in the atrium. Speaking of which, Roland finally let himself relax, giving Sharon his full attention as he scratched his head.

”Sorry about this. Someone fielded a complaint for down here, but I’m afraid this area is off limits. I trust you are lost, or might you have found anything suspicious during your appointment?”

- - -

OOC: EDIT: Sorry for the overly long post. D:
Mood: Alert, progressing towards relaxing
Company: Sharon
Wind Hime Princess

A-T

Wind Hime Princess

Devoted Dabbler

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:36 am
A-T

User Image

When Sharon called out to the agent, the thought of a familar face who could answer her questions was only on her mind. With such an reaction from just the sight of her, it added more to her suspicion of the current situation. She was silent as the Agents discussed among themselves. From the expressions of others aside from Agent Baker, it felt she was not welcomed here. She did not understand why.

She could vaguely hear something of 'crime scenes' as she got closer, her steps slowering down. Was she in some kind of trouble when she tried to approach him then? Her worries was left unanswered as the discussion among the black men soon finished, judging from the fact that many had left and the two of them remained. The doubtful glint in their eyes before they left gave her the feeling that she was going to be watched carefully in a way.

The tenseness in her shoulders disappeared gradually as the men went away, leaving her with Agent Roland. She could feel the change in the atmosphere and how the Agent was more relaxed than before. With no more pressure and intimidation from strangers, it relaxed her. She let out a sigh of relief, not realizing that she had been holding her breath due to the tenseness of the situation earlier. "That is alright. It is certainly my own mistake to wander to this area. I have to apologize for that, for I had not known about this place."

What he had explained to her brought up interesting questions and she found herself thinking about what brought her here in this area. In any circumstances, she would rather avoid walking in off-limits areas, where usually had warnings of any kind to prevent tresspassing. Yet, she could not remember anyone blocking her way here, or warning her against going in. Actually, she could not recall how she had gotten here. There was a haze in her mind before seeing Agent Roland caught her attention. It was like the sight of him made her more focused and clear-headed. "Well, actually, I do not remember how I get here. I usually don't go wandering around off-limit areas. I did not know what had happened before I got here, also." She vaguely heard a echoes of voices in her mind, urging her to come to this place. There should be someone else that she should remember, but when she tried to do so, it hurted her head quite a bit. "It became rather chaotic earlier. When I did my checkup before, there was some trouble, which I thought had been solved. But later on the situation seemed more serious."

Her expression was something of a lost lamb, her eyes hazy as she thought about what had happened. "There was more men in black, everyone was safely evacuated from the building, no, led away somewhere? By a man in black, or is it in white?" She grew increasingly unsure of what she was saying, the image in her head was a fluster of confusion. "I'm sorry. I did not know what I was saying."

The sight of a person flashed in her mind, someone in a white coat of a doctor, but the brief flash of the inner clothing was completely black. She had swatted his incoming hand away and scream at him, knocking him away. In that case, should she be able to use her power? Then, why did her voice still hurted like before?

MOOD → Worried
OOC → It's fine! I enjoyed the lengthy amount! It's an interesting read biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:40 am
User Image
Roland Baker

- - - - - - - -

"It is fine," Roland began, but shut up when it seemed Sharon had more to say. He raised an eyebrow: the senior investigator had not ordered any evacuation from the ground floor, nor had the hospital's PA system addressed anything unusual beyond the calls for additional assistance in the ER. It was quite possible Sharon's condition made her see things... but again, with the current situation, it would be rather risky to dismiss the woman's concerns. "Let's head upstairs. The basement here might be closed off- or at least it should be- but there is no evacuation in progress." With that said, Roland beckoned Sharon to follow the man as he approached the elevator bank. Pressing the sole button on the stainless steel panel, Roland stepped back, waiting for one of the two elevator doors to open. "You said you do not recollect how you've reached the basement. Did your doctor treat you with anything they said may include amnesia as a possible side effect?" As he asked the question, one of the elevators finally arrived with an audible DING, opening to reveal a spacious cabin for gurneys in addition to the occupants needing transport to the building's higher floors. Roland stepped inside, waiting for a moment to let Sharon inside before he pushed the Ground floor button. "You mentioned trouble during your checkup. Do you mean to say you saw the same group of men before you saw them later during this 'evacuation?'"

The elevator arrived at its destination floor, and the elevator doors opened into a quiet corridor. One of the hospital janitors had put up a vibrant yellow sign warning of a wet surface while he was busy mopping the general area outside a bathroom. Besides that, Roland could not make out much evidence of any human activity when he stepped out of the elevator. "Let's see if we can find some place to take our seats. I need you to try to remember and tell me everything you saw during your doctor visit," the Investigator said, stepping past one set of opposing doors before he spotted a closed door labeled "Conference Room - VACANT": The frosted door window prevented a clear view into the room, but its darkened surface suggested that the lights were shut off. "Aren't we in luck, now. Let's go." Without waiting for a response from Sharon, Roland opened the door and stepped inside the conference room. Similar to the one he had visited before during his first arrival at the hospital, this particular room had a rectangular dark wood table with rounded corners and eight office chairs arranged around it. Flipping the light switch on, Roland's eyes adjusted to the soft cool lamplight which permeated the room before he took his seat near the conference room's entrance.

- - -

Mood: Concerned
Company: Sharon
Wind Hime Princess

A-T

Wind Hime Princess

Devoted Dabbler

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:52 pm
A-T

User Image

Sharon followed the Agent up to the elevator. She looked at the metal machine, unfamiliar scene filled her sight. The fact that the structure around here did not ring anything in her mind was rather odd. Had she been walking in a blind before snapping out of it? "I don't think so. He said that the process would be quick and painless and I'll be ready to go soon." She began to think seriously on his next question. "Though, there was a small commotion in the middle of the treatment, but the doctor was quick to assure that everything was in order." It certainly was rather strange how confident and quick the doctor had been to come to that conclusion. Now that she thought back on it, there were many small odd details on what had happened that she had missed.

The door of the elevator closed smoothly as she walked in with Agent Roland. The cabin was spacious, but she still felt rather uncomfortable. She did not know whether it was the remaining effect of the treatment or not. "I could not say with confidence that those men were the same. They wore articles of clothing that covered up quite well. Some had especially covered their face." She rubbed her temples a little to ease up the discomfort. "Some of them do wear similar clothing style to yours, Agent. Though some were strange items like masks and goggles." She did not know why she had been hooked on such clothing style so deeply. Perhaps it was because the Agent had worn such style that kept an impression on her, or it was because such style of clothing was rather eye-catching in a hospital, where everything was pure white.

She felt the quick ascent of the elevator. Strangely, as they moved up, it started to feel colder than before. She could have sworn that it was not this cold. The empty corridor as they arrived did not help either. At least there was some kind of human activity. She looked briefly at the busy janitor before continuing to follow the Agent. It took a few seconds for her eyes to adjust to the dark as they stepped into an available conference room. She took a free seat opposite of the Agent. Suited to the decreased temperature, the chair was icy cold.

Taking in a deep breath, she began.

Flashback - The treatment

"Hello, Ms. Engel. You were saying you had symptoms of a cold and a brief fever?" Seated before she was a man in his middle age, with gentle features and a kind smile. No matter how you looked, he was obviously a doctor or someone in a similar profession. He looked through the patient profile in his hands before turning back to her. "According to what I'm seeing, it should be a light fever, nothing to worry about. However, to be safe, we would like to give you an injection just in case. The case for these fevers had been increasing these days."

"What type of injection, doctor?"

"It is something to increase your protection against the virus in this season."

She was still doubtful about his answer, but the increasing noise outside the door caught her attention. There were murmurs among the crowd, and a man in black suit appeared at the door. The doctor excused himself outside to talk. She asked about the situation as the doctor returned.

"It was nothing serious, Ms. Engel. It was just a brief inspection in the hospital. Shall we return to our treatment?" She eyed the syringe in his hand. The color of the liquid inside looked rather suspicious. Seemingly to understand her concern, he offered a comforting smile. "It's certified and completely safe. Please do rest assured."

It was certainly the case, as she did not feel anything strange after that.

"I think I was injected a second time somewhere else. But I-" She shuddered at the image that suddenly appeared in her mind. She held her arms to warm herself and curled up in order to feel a bit safer.

MOOD → Confused
                                          OOC →

ღ Affluent Area

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces