Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Asking for a bit of help

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eyosakura

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:37 am
Okay, look down....See that, it's my sig, and in my sig in my banner for my guild, but it needs a border and I cant really think of anything other than a mecha type border, which I need an example because I havent gotten it right and it takes me a long time to get something right without an example. Anyway, I was hoping some of you could give me ideas or examples, any pictures with borders on them would help, I've currently been looking at LiveJournal icons for ideas. Thanks for your help.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:36 pm
Hmm off the top of my head, why not use the same style as the cirle/line thing where the title is? A rounded rectangle would work, I think... do you really need a border? I don't usually add borders unless it's specifically required.  

tiranaki

Fashionable Hoarder

Acis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:32 pm
you could border it with light shines... you know, the light glare see in pictures and on film
it'd fit with the sky theme and look pretty cool!!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:18 pm
Less is more. I say a 2px black border would look attractive. Or, if you want it a little snazzier, make the border fade to white (which would look transparent with Gaia's bg color) from left to right.  

BornToBeReborn

Novocain

4,850 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:48 pm
tiranaki
Hmm off the top of my head, why not use the same style as the cirle/line thing where the title is? A rounded rectangle would work

i agree. i think a rounded border in the same style as the other liney-stuff would probably work the best. also, i'd pull the line all the way to the right edge so that it met the frame. that way it'll draw the viewers eye all the way across. the way it is now, the gap makes me feel like there should be a visual element it's leading to and there isn't one. i'd also pull all your text a little more to the right so it appeared more centered in the "text area" rather than having it so close to the image. increasing your tracking would also be good, the Japanese looks a little squooshed and it would help fill some of the negative space.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:56 pm
Novocain
tiranaki
Hmm off the top of my head, why not use the same style as the cirle/line thing where the title is? A rounded rectangle would work

i agree. i think a rounded border in the same style as the other liney-stuff would probably work the best. also, i'd pull the line all the way to the right edge so that it met the frame. that way it'll draw the viewers eye all the way across. the way it is now, the gap makes me feel like there should be a visual element it's leading to and there isn't one. i'd also pull all your text a little more to the right so it appeared more centered in the "text area" rather than having it so close to the image. increasing your tracking would also be good, the Japanese looks a little squooshed and it would help fill some of the negative space.
I should probably shrink the kanji but doing that is annoying since it can create problems with the display, also I dont want just a regular border that ties in with the center, I think that would make that whole part take too much of the banner then. I want something that blends in but also stands out, I also plan to put little information areas on the border, this is why I sort of want to go for a tech look but I might head in another direction. I probably wont be working on this for a while though since my eyes are giving me trouble like they do everyday and also I have other things to do, that's for the suggestions though.  

Eyosakura

Kitsunehime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:28 pm
Try doing a solid border of maybe 5px on the sides and 10 or more on the top and bottom. That way you can use some small fonts and such to put information.

If that's not enough, you could also use gradients on it.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:49 pm
no, you shouldn't shrink the kanji it looks fine. you should increase the kanji's tracking (ie the spacing between each character). here's something i slapped together:

User Image

note how all of the text is centered on one side and arranged in a way that makes reading it easier. also note how the line extends to the end where your eye is caught by the white cherry blossoms and brought all the way around again.

if you want to use the border as a text area it'll have to be big or it won't be readable.  

Novocain

4,850 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150

Eyosakura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:41 pm
Novocain
no, you shouldn't shrink the kanji it looks fine. you should increase the kanji's tracking (ie the spacing between each character). here's something i slapped together:

User Image

note how all of the text is centered on one side and arranged in a way that makes reading it easier. also note how the line extends to the end where your eye is caught by the white cherry blossoms and brought all the way around again.

if you want to use the border as a text area it'll have to be big or it won't be readable.
That's nice, not really what I'm going for. And with the kanji it's a bit more difficult for me since Adobe not only cant get kanji text but it doesnt have any other fonts for it (I need a plugin or something). And I'll work on the centering of the text, but I want to fix a few things first. And I know the border will have to be big, but I'm gonna do something that will make it big in some areas but not in others but still fit, just still working it out.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:04 pm
you could even have a border that doesn't go all the way round
try bordering opposite corners or somethingjust shooting ideas at you... may as well try it  

Acis

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff