Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Stitching on Limbs

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:49 pm
My sewing machine and I are on speaking terms once again, and I'm venturing back into plushie making. But I seem to have trouble with my ugly handstitches on things like limbs. Is the legendary "invisible stitch" a teqhnigue that can be picked up just by watching enough videos, or is it something that's just improved over time? Mine don't look ANYTHING like the demo pics I'm finding online... neutral  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:19 pm
I don't know what the "invisible stitch" thingy is, i just sew mine the way i was taught. If you post a link to a tutorial, i could take a look at it and see if i can figure it out, if you want. mrgreen  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Tes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:50 am
~
The keys to the invisable stitch is to use thread the same colour as the fabric, to come up ono one side of a fibre in the fabric and down the other, and to not pull to tightly or it will dimple. If you just stictch in and out without paying attention to the fibres then your stitches will be painfully obvious.
This is my cruddy drawing of a side view of what it should look like, the grey circles are the fibres of your fabric (the woven threads) and the red is your thread... and hopefully you can recognise the needle sweatdrop
User Image

~

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:16 am
Oh, I see, that's a lot cleaner than what I've been doing! Well, today I attempt another plush, so I'll give your advice a try, Tes. Thanks! ^_^  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Tes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:55 am
~
Tell me how it goes for you heart
~

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:33 pm
I don't sew alot so what I'm about to say might be painfully obvious. sweatdrop

I would sew normally, then turn the limb inside out and then stuff it with cotton. But that's probably what you've been doing. sweatdrop  

Something to Replace

Tes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:50 pm
Something to Replace
I don't sew alot so what I'm about to say might be painfully obvious. sweatdrop

I would sew normally, then turn the limb inside out and then stuff it with cotton. But that's probably what you've been doing. sweatdrop
~
The question then comes to how you're going to sew the stuffing hole shut without making stitches that you can easily see smile
~

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff