Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Political Parties

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taylr752

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:59 pm
Ive explored it and found there are Christian, Muslium, Jewish, Hindu, etc. political partys in america, yes it's legal, Should it be?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:20 pm
Go into more detail? Give us some resources, articles, anything at all to work with here?  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

iviary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:15 pm
Eh. Anyone can form a political party. I mean, the republican party might as well be a Christian party, with the percentage of conservative southern baptists, born-agains, and such that they attract. That doesn't mean that I want a religious group in "power", so to speak, but if they followed the Constitution, they wouldn't be able to instate a State Church, or any other major things that other parties cannot do. The fact of the matter is that there is a Christian majority in this country. They're going to group together. And, the other faith-based minorities will group together as well, even in political situations.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:49 pm
c a u s t i c
Go into more detail? Give us some resources, articles, anything at all to work with here?

Yeah, I agree. I would like to know a little more about this.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:07 am
Anyone can get together a group that shares common political views. Maybe they all happen to be Atheist, maybe they're Jewish, or maybe they all happen to be Pink Unicorn lovers. Saying it's a certain kind of group doesn't tell you anything.
You'd have to judge based on each group's agenda/platform as to whether it was constitutional or not.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:12 pm
stressed s**t lost the article links and Im to lazy to get them right now, Anyway I think it's unconstitutional because Religion seperate from Government.  

Taylr752

iviary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:02 pm
LinkinPark7
stressed s**t lost the article links and Im to lazy to get them right now, Anyway I think it's unconstitutional because Religion seperate from Government.

Many political parties don't ever get into the government.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:47 pm
iviary
LinkinPark7

sweatdrop most of them, and there hasnt ever been a independent party to win a presidency.  

Taylr752

iviary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:23 pm
LinkinPark7
iviary
LinkinPark7

sweatdrop most of them, and there hasnt ever been a independent party to win a presidency.

Exactly. My point in saying that was that if they are not part of the government, how can it be unconstitutional for them to simply have a political party?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:16 pm
The only reason political parties exist is because people realized that, if they didn't band together and arrange a little nepotism, candidates would have to compete solely with their qualifications and platform. Imagine! Elections based on competency rather than who bought a longer spot at the Super Bowl! The nerve! blaugh

Thus, although I may never see a candidate I like in office, I refuse to get down on their level; I don't plan to join a party. If these people want to put their two pence in for corruption, I don't care what name they do it under.  

DivideByZero14

Taylr752

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:33 pm
iviary
LinkinPark7
iviary
LinkinPark7

Exactly. My point in saying that was that if they are not part of the government, how can it be unconstitutional for them to simply have a political party?
they are considered part of the government and there have been governers, mayors, etc. by indpendent parties and it's unfair to have 2 partys dominate the government, it's like a mofia  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:03 pm
LinkinPark7
iviary
LinkinPark7
iviary
LinkinPark7

they are considered part of the government and there have been governers, mayors, etc. by indpendent parties and it's unfair to have 2 partys dominate the government, it's like a mofia

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. It is very difficult for a political party in itself to be unconstitutional. What the party DOES if they get in office is another matter. If they start attempting to change laws around, in an attempt to form a theocracy, then, that is certainly unconstitutional. However, another thing that would be unconstitutional is to stop a group of common-minded people from forming together, in a non-violent, non-harmful manner, with the hopes of achieving their common goals. A political party is not part of the government. People in the political party are part of the government. Yes, those people form together, in order to achieve the same goals, but a political party, in itself, is not part of the government. They are certainly an element in the political process, but we can't go around condemning forming political parties because they might sometime down the road attempt to do something unconstitutional.  

iviary

Taylr752

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:18 pm
iviary
LinkinPark7
iviary
LinkinPark7
iviary
LinkinPark7

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. It is very difficult for a political party in itself to be unconstitutional. What the party DOES if they get in office is another matter. If they start attempting to change laws around, in an attempt to form a theocracy, then, that is certainly unconstitutional. However, another thing that would be unconstitutional is to stop a group of common-minded people from forming together, in a non-violent, non-harmful manner, with the hopes of achieving their common goals. A political party is not part of the government. People in the political party are part of the government. Yes, those people form together, in order to achieve the same goals, but a political party, in itself, is not part of the government. They are certainly an element in the political process, but we can't go around condemning forming political parties because they might sometime down the road attempt to do something unconstitutional.
3nodding ahhh yes  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff