Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Help Guild

Back to Guilds

Guild for Anime,Manga, Live-Action Asian Drama, Asian Music K-pop Recommendations & Discussions, ChatSpace,TV Series/WesternCartoons + More. 

Tags: Anime, Manga, Live Action Asian Drama, Discussion, Recommendation 

Reply ☆CHAT ROOM
Soap Box (Venting/Ranting)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:18 pm
Okay so....
I was fishing around on Twitter and stumbled across a person sharing an argument they had over art commissions.
I've seen these things multiple times on various sites...and honestly, when looking into them, I can't help to sympathize with the idiots that seem to assume that art is free.
Not because I think that it should be, but because the other party seems to think their art is made of gold.
I'm all for paying someone for their time, maybe even more with certain variables, but by no means do I think random Mary Sue or John Doe's "quick doodle" is worth 150 dollars.
Even moreso, when the person in question is merely drawing on a computer and sending a save file.
They aren't losing any pencils, erasers, paint, or any other physical materials. The only thing it's costing them is their time and if they think their time is so freaking precious then they should have considered a different profession.

"But the software/hardware for doing that isn't cheap and they spent blah blah amount of money in art school!"

And so what? They chose to buy said item and they decided to go to school for it.
It's not the patrons responsibility to pay for the artists preferred medium or for their way of learning to draw!

I just find this so exasperating, no matter how many times I see in.
It's just so.... Gah!!! stressed

"sigh" Okay, I'm done.
Feel free to let me know your take on this or feel free to take your own turn on the Soap Box.  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:03 pm
I'm going to agree with you for the most part.

The only think that would change my mind about it is the quality of the drawing and the medium. Some are more difficult to create in a certain fashion (ex. realistic painting), but you're talking about a digital copy and not even one that was printed by the owner and sent to you (I could could go max $75) if that was the case.  

angelmage99

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:39 am
angelmage99

The only think that would change my mind about it is the quality of the drawing and the medium. Some are more difficult to create in a certain fashion (ex. realistic painting), but you're talking about a digital copy and not even one that was printed by the owner and sent to you (I could could go max $75) if that was the case.

I can partially understand that, but at the same time.....

With a lot of set up "art communities", if you try to bring up such grievances, you are then bombarded with all these excuses that everyone that calls themselves an artist is the literal reincarnation of Picasso, and how dare I question what they charge for what they call a doodle.  
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:37 am
Zero the Crimson
angelmage99

I can partially understand that, but at the same time.....

With a lot of set up "art communities", if you try to bring up such grievances, you are then bombarded with all these excuses that everyone that calls themselves an artist is the literal reincarnation of Picasso, and how dare I question what they charge for what they call a doodle.

Very true. I could hand you my pen right now and call it art, but you may not.  

angelmage99

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:19 pm
angelmage99

Very true. I could hand you my pen right now and call it art, but you may not.

Anymore, the concept of art and even the title of artist are relatively tricky things...
Pretty much anyone who passed an elementary school art class can be considered an artist nowadays...and what people call art at times isn't much different...  
☆CHAT ROOM

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games