Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Catholic School? o.0

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nbkczxig

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:04 pm
When I was very young, I went to Catholic School and hated it. Most of our tuition was spent on the upkeep of the church while the school fell into disrepair. Anyone else have stories like this? Believe me....me and my English teacher ranting on how horrible Catholic School was is the most interesting thing to listen to.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:37 pm
I went to a Catholic school as well for grade 5. My tuition was so low, $25 as we're not wealthy. They helped me inprove my self esteem but after that I had nothing to gain from the school so public suited me fine for middle school.  

aguave.

Southwest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:00 am
"It says here that you were raised Catholic."

"Yup."

"...so you're an atheist?"

"Pretty much."

I swear, I know so many Catholic-turned-atheists.

But anyway, back to the topic at hand.

[/threadjack]  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:37 am
I went to a Catholic primary school for three years, because it was the closest to my home. It was government funded, so tuition fees wasn't an issue. (Eventually I changed schools just to skip a year)

I'm currently in a Christian school because it's a good school except for the fact that there are devotional assemblies. (Again, the choice of school was affected by the fact that I'm trying to finish school as soon as possible)

I have a friend who became Christian last year ( gonk ) and she thinks that I should be Christian, and one of her arguments was that I should be Christian because I'm in a Christian school so the other people in the school will be Christian, and that is NOT true.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Redem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:37 am
I attended various Catholic schools from I was 5 until 18.

Did me no harm.

They were good schools.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:48 pm
3nodding  

Taylr752

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:15 pm
LinkinPark7
3nodding
Emoticon posts are spam.
I'm not in the mood to be witty, so I'll just leave it at this- No spamming.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:37 pm
I never had to go to a Catholic School.

My brother tried to get into one though... Not because he was Catholic but because it was a good school. He was put on a waiting list with hundreds of other hopefuls.

My dad went to the same school my brother was put on a waiting list for. He was... err... kicked out.

Drove a bug (car) down the hallway.

He was one of those kids that always asked "why is easter on a different day of the year", etc.

Yep. xd  

The Rival Hen

GEt CrUnK iTs BiLlY!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:46 pm
Southwest
"It says here that you were raised Catholic."

"Yup."

"...so you're an atheist?"

"Pretty much."

I swear, I know so many Catholic-turned-atheists.

But anyway, back to the topic at hand.

[/threadjack]
I think this is so because most Catholic parents are extremely over doing their child and the child doesn't like to have to be extremely religious like his/her parents. Then, when the time comes that they learn more about what they think as a person, they decide that Catholic is a load of s**t the wrong religion for them.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:57 pm
I don't know anyone who went to a Catholic school. I have one friend who started out in a private school, but she switched to public schools in like 5th grade or so. There's only one in my immediate area I can think of, and it's religious but not Catholic. Actually, I think one of my cousin's was there for a couple years. I don't really remember what happened with that, but I know his parents took him out early.  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:26 pm
I went to Brother Rice which was a Christian High School. I didn't mind it too much, especially since I was religious at the time. I didn't make many friends though, because I was bust there and the school was very far from my home. I just ended up making local friends. A lot of people, when I tell them I am Atheist, think that the super Christian environment is what turned me Atheist: sort of like I overdosed on it or something, but that wasn't the case.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:44 am
My mother went to parochial school, and now she's atheist.

Dathu
A lot of people, when I tell them I am Atheist, think that the super Christian environment is what turned me Atheist: sort of like I overdosed on it or something, but that wasn't the case.

Christianity can be a very strong anaesthetic (sp?)--there are a lot of people down here in Georgia that OD every Sunday morning. It's so annoying, also, to have everything closed for an entire half a day on a weekend.  

DivideByZero14

iviary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:02 pm
DivideByZero14
My mother went to parochial school, and now she's atheist.

Dathu
A lot of people, when I tell them I am Atheist, think that the super Christian environment is what turned me Atheist: sort of like I overdosed on it or something, but that wasn't the case.

Christianity can be a very strong anaesthetic (sp?)--there are a lot of people down here in Georgia that OD every Sunday morning. It's so annoying, also, to have everything closed for an entire half a day on a weekend.

My mother also went to parochial school. While she isn't atheist, she borders on agnostic, and certainly isn't catholic anymore.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games