Welcome to Gaia! ::

100 Days of Art Event

Back to Guilds

This is a self-improving event for ARTISTS! 

Tags: 100days, Drawing, creative, Improve, Event 

Reply 100 Days Event (2021)
☸ AfroAtelier

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

100 Day Event

Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:03 pm

User Image
Event Deadline: (UTC-5) 11:59 pm EST

_ Useful Info ____________________

Please review these Event Artist rules before posting.
              tab Here's some highlights:
              tab tab * One post per day
              tab tab * Label your days
              tab tab * Spoiler all bugs-related subjects

Use this format when posting~
              tab Comment is optional

[b]Day # [/b]
                  [u]Theme[/u]:
                  [u]Time spent[/u]:

[img][/img]

[u]Comments[/u]:

_ YOUR DEADLINE_________________

🔪 (UTC ±0) NEXT day 4:59 AM

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:41 pm
Day: #1

Theme: Red Panda

Time: 5 hours

User Image

User Image

User Image

Full size image is in the spoiler button below:

User Image
User Image
User Image

I feel like this is going to end up being a type of diary for me and its kinda exciting!

This is going to be one hell of a new experience sweatdrop I need to practice getting faster but I'm hoping to have the tenacity to complete the 100 day challenge! I've seen what other people have started to post and I'm completely enamoured, especially those who did the same theme as well as other artists that use paper medium. I'm finding it so interesting to see how fellow artists go about completing their challenge!

So what went well:

- Both the pencil and inking line work came out so well!
- The watercolour transition on the belly to back worked out so well.
- there are multiple layers and I practiced blue for shading around the bottom part of the tail and it was a new experience because I would usually pit down a thicker coat of paint but this time I used a thinner coat and the subtlety makes all the difference!

What would I do different?:

- pay attention to the eyes! The res panda's left eye is slightly higher which takes away from the painting for anyone who notices. So going forward I need to keep on practicing perspectives!
- I over did it with the fur lines, I feel that more bold lines would have conplimented the painting much better! Going forward I should use fur lines in moderation.
- I need to get faster and paint smarter or else I will burnout before I reach the end of the 100 days!

Things that I am grateful for?

- the guild has given me the opportunity to to practice my art and really push me out of my comfort zone and for that I am so grateful. Thank to everyone who helped organise this event.
- I am grateful for other artists taking the challenge and it gives me an opportunity to study and learn from my peers.
- I like the idea of using my topic as a diary because it will allow me to reflect and it will be insterting to look back at the end of the challenge.  

AfroAtelier

AfroAtelier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:51 pm
Day: #2

Theme: Colour Palette

Time: 6 Hours

User Image
User Image

User Image
User Image

Day 2 has been a peaceful day for me in the UK, when I woke up this morning i had originally thought about drawing Taj Mahal and the otter first but buildings and animals are a slight comfort zone for me so I tried my hand at drawing the Capricorn with a human torso and head instead of a goat. Needless to say it didn't go so well sweatdrop and finally I stumbled across the colour palette and thought "why not" because I get to practice my colour theory.

The pictures above are actually studies of the famous ukiyo-e printmaker Katsushika Hokusai.

What went well:

- those scales are amazing
- the background came out so well!
- having to mix the colour palettes and not using any black ink was different. I am particularly pleased with how the outline came out.

What would I do differently?:
- I need to get faster, I started of really well and completed the base gesture of the painting however in all fairness it was the scales that slowed me down. Going forward I should try and memorise what I draw and paint so that I don't have to keep looking back at the references so often.
- better control with the watercolour brushes and wet-on-wet so that the colours don't bleed into each other when I don't want them too.
- have a lighter touch when I do the pencil work

What am I grateful for?:

- I got to study ukiyo-e art, that is one of my favourite last times. Japanese woodblock prints are so captivating and I am grateful I got to spend time studying one of Hokusai's prints.
- I mixed all the colours fairly easily, 1 year ago I would have struggled and I feel that I've come a long way and can't wait to do more!.
- although this piece took longer than my first, I enjoyed doing it much more and felt very peaceful whilst drawing and painting it.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:23 pm
Day: #3
Theme: Laundromat
Time: 4 hours

User Image
User Image

User Image
User Image

I didn't get to start the challenge until later in the day so I wasn't able to paint today's drawing. For those of you that don't know, the laundromat above is actually the one from cartoon network that showed during the ads in the early 2000s! The one were johnny bravo and samurai jack met and laughed about laundry day.

What went well:
- good line work
- I managed to improvise since the references were poor quality 😅
- the sign cane out rather well

What would I do better next time:
- start a bit earlier
- add colour
- add more detail to the posters at the front of the store were the ground floor windows are

What am I grateful for:
- Today I witnessed Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's recounting of the capitol riots from her perspective. It's an important speech I recommend others to hear.  

AfroAtelier

AfroAtelier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:09 pm
Day: #4
Theme: Medium Challenge: Watercolor
Time Spent: 6 hours

User Image

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:21 pm
Day: #5
Theme: Parenthood
Time: 1.5hrs