Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Jesus walked on Ice? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:32 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:43 pm
There are some atheists/agnostics that theorize that yes Jesus did exist. However he wasn't a son of god, and all of his miracles were not miracles at all, but perhaps illusions such as theorized by this article.

Sanguvixen

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:38 pm
Sanguvixen
There are some atheists/agnostics that theorize that yes Jesus did exist. However he wasn't a son of god, and all of his miracles were not miracles at all, but perhaps illusions such as theorized by this article.

Well, this brings up the memory of someone explaining Moses' parting of the Red Sea by an asteroid conveniently hitting the water at a remarkably unlikely angle while he waved his hands in the air. I don't think either ideas have much merit.

If I were Jesus, and I was trying to fool somebody, I wouldn't have waited around for ice! I would have built a raft, painted it to be nigh-invisible underwater, and weighted it to float just beneath the suface.

I do believe Jesus existed and was a great philosopher, but he had a serious screw loose. And he was not, for the thousandth time, the Son of God.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:43 pm
DivideByZero14
Sanguvixen

Well, this brings up the memory of someone explaining Moses' parting of the Red Sea by an asteroid conveniently hitting the water at a remarkably unlikely angle while he waved his hands in the air. I don't think either ideas have much merit.

If I were Jesus, and I was trying to fool somebody, I wouldn't have waited around for ice! I would have built a raft, painted it to be nigh-invisible underwater, and weighted it to float just beneath the suface.

I do believe Jesus existed and was a great philosopher, but he had a serious screw loose. And he was not, for the thousandth time, the Son of God.

Yeah...If anything he was probably suffering from a severe mental illness.

Though...now if someone throws, "He walked on water!", My rebuttal can be "He could have been walking on ice" with a bit of info to back it up.

Sanguvixen

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:19 pm
DivideByZero14

I remember a documentary about possible explanations for the ten things in the Exodus. One other theory for parting the Red Sea was that it was the Reed Sea that parted, and that was a shallow marsh, and there was an error in translation that rendered it as Red Sea instead of Reed Sea.

See the page on the BBC site about it

Anyway, whether they prove anything about Jesus or not, I think these natural phenomena are interesting.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:09 pm
Sanguvixen
In my Mom's history class they discussed whether Jesus existed or not and their conclusion was that he did, but he did not do all of the magical things in the bible. They also said that if he got this much credit he was probably favored greatly by people and then when the original bible was written it just got more and more distorted throughout the years.  

GEt CrUnK iTs BiLlY!

iviary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:58 pm
Sanguvixen

Well, Christianity is something of a conspiracy, but not so much that I believe they made up Jesus. I believe he really existed and that he taught some good lessons, but I don't believe he was anything godly; just a good man, who may or may not have also been a good con-man. razz  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:48 pm
iviary
Sanguvixen

Well, Christianity is something of a conspiracy, but not so much that I believe they made up Jesus. I believe he really existed and that he taught some good lessons, but I don't believe he was anything godly; just a good man, who may or may not have also been a good con-man. razz

I once heard Jesus referred to as the best advertiser in history. rolleyes  

DivideByZero14

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:34 am
Sanguvixen
There's nothing illogical about that. 3nodding In fact, I've always believed in Jesus, just not his "powers".  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:11 am
Blasphemize
Sanguvixen
There's nothing illogical about that. 3nodding In fact, I've always believed in Jesus, just not his "powers".

Yeah...he might have existed, and then again he might not have.

All an in, I think we all agree that the powers thing were just illusions.

When you think about it thier technology sucked back then. They had so little medical knowledge that any new medicine or way to treat injuries could have been seen as a miracle. They were not all that intelligent back then so as one of the first intelligent con artists he could have pulled of illusions such as walking across water(perhaps ice), and parting a reed sea(which later because the red sea)

Sanguvixen

Pistil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:23 pm
That's scary-creepy-cool.

Because people here have been joking about that for years.

"Jesus walked on water 4laugh "
"It was probably frozen rolleyes "

But even with scientific 'proof', it won't hold up against the christians.
Ah well, at least WE know!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:09 pm
iviary
Sanguvixen
Blasphemize
Sanguvixen

Yeah...he might have existed, and then again he might not have.

All an in, I think we all agree that the powers thing were just illusions.

When you think about it thier technology sucked back then. They had so little medical knowledge that any new medicine or way to treat injuries could have been seen as a miracle. They were not all that intelligent back then so as one of the first intelligent con artists he could have pulled of illusions such as walking across water(perhaps ice), and parting a reed sea(which later because the red sea)

Err.. it was Moses that parted the Red Sea..

Yes it was. But how did Moses do it? Who "Supposedly helped him?"

God right? Isn't Jesus supposed to have been a form of god sent down to Earth as a mortal?

iviary

Dande_Lion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:46 pm
I don't think it's terribly useful to spend time trying to figure out how Biblical "miracles" could have happened. After all, we have virtually no evidence that they did.

I don't really believe in a historical Jesus either, though. I mean, it's not like I'm positive that there was no historical Jesus. I just think it's kind of unlikely.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:04 pm
Dande_Lion
I don't think it's terribly useful to spend time trying to figure out how Biblical "miracles" could have happened. After all, we have virtually no evidence that they did.

I don't really believe in a historical Jesus either, though. I mean, it's not like I'm positive that there was no historical Jesus. I just think it's kind of unlikely.

Why is that? I mean, someone must have led around a bunch of disciples and incited mass pandemonium.  

DivideByZero14

Waffle Dem0n

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:06 pm
As cool as that idea is, it's incredibly unlikely. I really dislike the fact that scientists grasp so hard at finding explanations for Jesus's wild stunts, rather than just advertising the most likely idea that he... didn't do them. Some he may've, some he may not. He just plain didn't do this one. It didn't exist, at all, in any way shape or form.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff