Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Significant other debates Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

People who are impossible to argue with
  annoying yes
  other...?
  I don't know what you're talking about
View Results

Darth Moe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:12 pm
Well I'm an Athiest [like everyone else here I believe] and my significant other is Catholic. It seems as though his arguements are very poor and quite frustrating. Right now he's trying to tell me that logic is not proof rolleyes and that Athiests are as ignorant as they perceivereligion to be.

As frustrating as some of these "debates" can be I still love him.

Anyone else have a religious other? If so do you get into any debates or disputes about religion and Atheism? Or anything else you might want to add to this topic heh.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Christianity I guess, but I say if god does exist he's a major a** hole and Id rather go to hell then be anywhere near that mother ********.  

Taylr752

Darth Moe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:47 pm
LinkinPark7
Christianity I guess, but I say if god does exist he's a major a** hole and Id rather go to hell then be anywhere near that mother ******** class="clear">

yes I remember thinking that if I ever did find god to be real and facing after I've passed away...would I like him? Right now I would think of myself hating him if I ever met him but maybe he's not all people have claimed him to be [for example not as powerful as people say "he" is].

Just a thought though heh.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:39 pm
Yesss.. he's tried to point out signs of "God's plan" to me. Eh. C'est la vie. If that's the worst I face from him as far as evangelism goes, I'll be fine.  

iviary

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:56 pm
Every girlfriend I've had has been somewhat religious. We talk about it, but I try not have the conversation too much. There are better things we could be doing. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:15 am
My younger brother is a religious zombie. He's religious, but he can't think for himself, or outside of what he is told.

It is frustrating to try to argue with him because he tries to bring in every irrelevent thing he can find, and usually when he can't win the argument he turns all whiney like some baby.

How do you argue with someone who doesn't make sense to begin with?

I say the Noahs flood(A global flood) didn't happen, and it is impossible to have built a ship big enough to fit two of every land animal...here are the reasons why....and then my brother says there's a (Insert number here) probably that creation can happen randomly or some other off the wall s**t.

WTF? Stick the to argument people. So I've learned to ignore him when he brings up religion.

If people insist of getting in arguments about religion, sometimes it is best to be firm and ignore them.

Sanguvixen

Superior Jazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:13 pm
My girlfriend is a Wiccan... but we don't ever get into arguments, really. Even when we do, religion doesn't come up. Ever. So... but I love her. So it's all good.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:37 am
IhaveAPencilSharpener
Right now he's trying to tell me that logic is not proof rolleyes

At this point, I fear there's nothing much anyone can do for him.

IhaveAPencilSharpener
and that Athiests are as ignorant as they perceivereligion to be.

I know I'm ignorant...

Socrates
The only true knowledge is in knowing that you know nothing.

DivideByZero14

Dande_Lion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:52 pm
My Mom tries to make me discuss religion with her sometimes. She'll say things like she's glad to know that there's a heaven where she'll get all her cats back. Or she'll say that humans use only ten percent of their brain (a completely discreditted statistic) and say that that's because the rest of our brain is housing the memories from our pre-mortal life. Gah. I just avoid the subject and make it clear that I don't agree and am unwilling to discuss it if she brings it up.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:34 am
I havn't got a 'significant other' at the moment, but I must say I'd find it quite difficult to live with someone who was religious. I mean, I wouldn't mind if they believed in God or whatever, but it would make me feel uncomfortable if then went out to church on a sunday, or tried to start a religious discussion with me.  

Muaethia

Napoleon_Danneskjold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:48 am
Sanguvixen

I say the Noahs flood(A global flood) didn't happen,

Most scientists will tell you that to one extent or another there was a pretty big flood, it may not have covered the world, but considering the fact that people mostly lived coastally it covered there world at least biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:30 pm
My {now EX}boyfriend kept sending me religiously oriented e-mails even though he knew I didn't believe in God. Yeah. I'll certainly be converted by a chain letter! {{punt}} That was a minor reason for him getting the boot, but it was a grievance among the rest.  

iviary

Pistil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:20 pm
Closest I've got is this:

My brother is Athiest. His C-L wife is Christian.

They've never had real arguments about it either.

He can say god's name in vain.

And she can have religious magnets on the fridge.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:07 pm
Muaethia
I havn't got a 'significant other' at the moment, but I must say I'd find it quite difficult to live with someone who was religious. I mean, I wouldn't mind if they believed in God or whatever, but it would make me feel uncomfortable if then went out to church on a sunday, or tried to start a religious discussion with me.
Og, is that so... ? ninja Well maybe we could go on an eDate! *impose*

My best friend used to be firmly anti-religious, but he's starting to turn toward the whole neo-magician s**t. =/  

Waffle Dem0n

Muaethia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:24 am
Waffle Dem0n
Muaethia
Og, is that so... ? ninja Well maybe we could go on an eDate! *impose*

My best friend used to be firmly anti-religious, but he's starting to turn toward the whole neo-magician s**t. =/

Hehe. Yeah, none of my friends are particularly religious- two of them come from christian families, and are not really sure about what they believe. I've got a few aquaintences (sp?) who are Wiccan, but the topic of religion doesn't really come up in our conversations.
I just remembered that I dated a pagan guy once whee

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces