Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Lesson List - Schedule (ooh pretty colors) - please check!! Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:19 pm
Here is a list of classes and who wants to teach them, and when. If there's two people listed, let me know whether you want to do a lesson by yourself (and have two or more versions like jam-wired suggested) or work together on it.

Stuff that I put my name with are things that I'm interested in, if you'd like to help or do the whole thing yourself, let me know! smile Feel free to suggest more lessons. I listed a whole bunch of new ones that might be interesting.

Also, it might be interesting if I could put a note about how far you all are along, like if you've started it, drawn the pictures.... etc. So let me know! You can PM me, that would probably be best. smile

Here's a loose schedule so maybe we can get some new ones started every month. Let me know if the dates I put on yours DO NOT work for you!! smile 3 a month might be too much… hmmm… I did try to organize them though.

I decided that each month we'll try to have one that's related to a technical aspect of GD, like coding or using a program, one that's more theory based, and an art/creativity one.

Proposed Schedule

Graphic Design Principles - part 1 - OptimaClonic5 (currently running)
Abstract Art with Photoshop - myst_dragon (currently running)

October - Basics
Graphic Design Principles - part 2 - OptimaClonic5
Design Program Basics - OptimaClonic5
Thinking Creatively: The Design Process - SilverVixen

November – Color and drawing
Colour theory - edison, SilverVixen
CG – Kitsunehime
Drawing (real life and anime/manga) - SilverVixen, Chisa

December - More basics (and origami – fun!!)
Illustrator - pen tool - Novocain
Basic Design stuff (line, shape, value, etc) - SilverVixen
Origami - Kitsunehime

January
HTML - GhoSt-X, Chisa
Typography - tiranaki
Drawing Fantasy Stuff (faeries, dragons, etc) - SilverVixen

February
Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) - GhoSt-X
Things related to print - tiranaki
Book Binding - jam-wired

March
CG - OptimaClonic5, Kitsunehime, Chisa
Copyrights/Graphic Design Business Stuff – SilverVixen
Watercolor Painting - edison

Others that don’t have a teacher… smile
Scanning, other hardware
Sketching
Choosing a School/Program to be Involved in

Lesson Guidelines
-Let me or one of the other mods know when you're ready to start your lesson, we'll make it a sticky (probably)
-We can have more than one going at one time, but maybe we'll try to make the most at one time 2 or 3
- In the first post(s), describe what the class is going to cover, what sort of class it will be (interactive, theory based, list of links to tutorials, etc). Also, tell a little about yourself, where you learned about what you're teaching, and why you wanted to teach it! biggrin
-If you want to do an interactive class, make sure you have the time to be on here helping and, well, interacting!
-You can set a schedule if you want, so that everyone can be on at the same time, but remember that some people are on the other side of the world and it might be hard for them to get on.

Thanks for all your ideas and help everyone!! smile Good luck with the lesson writing.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:17 pm
I probably won't do design basics unless OptimaClonic5 needs help. I was also thinking: it may be a good idea if more than one person does seperate tutorials. There are design fundamentals, but they can be taught different ways, and it may be helpful for people who have never been formally taught graphic design to see the differences. The same is true for typography, color, form, etc. I'd also be very interested in the different viewpoints of all the graphic designers teaching the tutorials (whether they are just starting or have a lot of experience). smile  

jam-wired

tiranaki

Fashionable Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:40 pm
I would very much like to see an Illustrator tutorial on the pen tool. Not basic shapes, but the one thing I can't get a hang of: bezier curves. I would like to see a tutorial where, for example, a portrait is covered, using the pen tool, and rounded shapes, something simple, like a teddy bear (well, that wouldn't be too hard, even without the pen tool, so scratch that)... or a guinea pig with a big butt. ^_^  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:43 pm
Ummm, interesting suggestion. Hehe. A guinea pig with a big butt... xd Yeah, sure that would be a cool thing to have someone explain. I have never played with it, so I would like to learn what its all about.  

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

tiranaki

Fashionable Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:58 pm
SilverVixen
Ummm, interesting suggestion. Hehe. A guinea pig with a big butt... xd Yeah, sure that would be a cool thing to have someone explain. I have never played with it, so I would like to learn what its all about.

xd guinea pig fan.

But well, I know how to use Illustrator, my sig was done in Illustrator, but I undersand the pencil and paintbrush tools better than the pen tool, and I can only use the pen tool for simple things, I feel that once I get the hang of bezier curves there will be very few things to limit me.

Illustrator is fun. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:43 pm
On doing a CG tutorial . . . I can do basic CG, or advanced, since I have three different color styles. sweatdrop Depends on what OptimaClonic5 is going to do, I suppose.

On origami . . . Cranes or flowers? Fuzzy eyeball cam pics, or scanned illustrations + explanations? Either way will take me a while though.  

Kitsunehime

jam-wired

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:14 pm
Ooh! I just realized I could do a tutorial on hand-made books. People can make their own portfolio-books. I can teach single sheet soft bound, folio soft bound, glued signature hard bound, and single thread hard bound. I realize this is a little arts-and-craftsy, but I did learn it in my visual comm class so that we could bind our own books. It's helpful to know if you're laying out a book and need to do a mock-up. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:19 pm
I'd be really interested in a Bezier curves tutorial too; I never really got the hang of them.

I have been drawing and cging for a few years though, so maybe I could help out in those tutorials. And edison is a professional illustrator right? His artwork is beautiful, maybe he'd like to take on some illustration type tutorials?

I'd say start with the GD tutorials first, and work from there (so you won't have to worry about origami for a while yet, Kitsunehime wink )  

Chisa
Vice Captain

myst_dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:10 pm
I'll do a basic abstract tutorial in photoshop. I already have it written. I could probably do more abstract turorials... I'm usually on from 5:30 - 9:00. Not the whole time, just usually between the times. I can probably start tomorrow.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:13 pm
Actually i think i'd rather do painting, than illustration. I graduated with a BFA in painting and i'm pretty knowledgable about watercolors, oils, and acrylics. I'm not exactly sure how i would set up the lesson, but i could figure something out, and definitely answer questions.

For color theory, i could go over some basic stuff and explain and demonstrate Josef Albers projects. Does anyone have any other ideas or want to help out?  

edison

GhoSt-X

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:22 am
ill set up a Basic HTML tutorial when i have time ..
flat out with university rite now ~_~  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:53 am
edison
Actually i think i'd rather do painting, than illustration. I graduated with a BFA in painting and i'm pretty knowledgable about watercolors, oils, and acrylics. I'm not exactly sure how i would set up the lesson, but i could figure something out, and definitely answer questions.

For color theory, i could go over some basic stuff and explain and demonstrate Josef Albers projects. Does anyone have any other ideas or want to help out?

I would love to see a full watercolor portrait tutorial, if possible. Most of the tutorials on the net just cover landscapes or objects. I would offer to help, but my watercolor skills are limited. Acrylic would be good too. I requests people I think they are harder to do than objects, so most tutorials feature objects and not people, and that's what I would like to learn more about.  

tiranaki

Fashionable Hoarder

edison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:01 pm
tiranaki

I would love to see a full watercolor portrait tutorial, if possible. Most of the tutorials on the net just cover landscapes or objects. I would offer to help, but my watercolor skills are limited. Acrylic would be good too. I requests people I think they are harder to do than objects, so most tutorials feature objects and not people, and that's what I would like to learn more about.

Ok, i can do that. That would be fun. And a fun project for those interested.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:47 pm
I'd be interested in watercolour and acryilics tutorials too - I've always intended to try out natural media, but never got around to it. It would be really fun xd  

Chisa
Vice Captain

Kuraino Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:40 am
....I could do an advanced HTML lesson. On frames, I suppose, because that's what I'm best at when it comes to HTML....

...Or on Drawing Anime. I seem to be pretty good at that. I could go ahead and start getting the lesson together. Here's my most recent work, in case you want me to go ahead with that one: http://melancholylaughter.firehead.org/images/kamikiandsimon.png

If nothing else, I could do a beginning PSP lesson. Not many people use PSP, so it could be informative. 3nodding

So sign me up for which one you think I would be best at, because I could do any of them. whee  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff