Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Upshot - Want/Need some actual conversation? <---Go this way.
Grammar Nazi Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarquePinkPaper
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:15 pm
User Image

Grammar nazi, spelling nazi and language nazi are all terms used to describe a participant in a discussion, online or otherwise, who criticizes or corrects the language usage of another participant. Such a person is often accused of flaming as a result of finding fault with minor details of other participants' messages, and often only in opinions with which the accused grammar nazi disagrees. Participants in these discussions often end up taking opposite sides in a prescription versus description debate.

Use of these terms is often considered derogatory. However, some people do view grammar nazism as a virtue rather than a flaw and insist upon strict usage of the language in question. These individuals are more likely to wear the badge of "grammar nazi" with pride and can even refer to themselves in this manner. In some situations, a more relaxed method of speech or prose may be appropriate; it is these situations in which grammar nazis are more commonly chastised.
-Wikipedia.org [Grammar Nazi]

Disscus: R U A Gramer Notzee? Duhz bad spealing bther u? Tlk and chatspeeking is some thing udo? Granmer Natzis kepp bothring u?!11!?!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:51 pm
*twitch* x_x  

Nostrumus
Vice Captain

DarquePinkPaper
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:01 pm
Nostrumus
*twitch* x_x

Yeah, I know...writing out that last part really made me go x_x. lol

But as for the Grammar Nazi thing...I'm so tempted to be one.
I really don't understand how hard it is to use capitalization the way it's meant to be used and to not use TXT-ING as a way to type.

Like it would really be so hard to say, 'Oh Really?' instead of, 'O RLY?!'
stare

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:04 am

-_-

I'm confuzzled.

User Image

`Rai

Hotaru230

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:36 am
i'm a bad speller

as long as i can understand what you mean it's ok with me
and not in all leet and stuffs  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:13 pm
I belive in vowels, thank you. whee Besides, one of my excuses to my parents about Gaia is "It helps with my typing."  

cuddlefish_Breezy

I_R_Supper_Nub123

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:12 am
I want to be a grammar Nazi when I grow up!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:09 am
I am part of the "Save the Vowels Movement". whee

Alumynia

Mistralle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:28 am

I'm not really a grammar nazi but if someone that speaks English as their first language cannot grasp the concept of spelling, and punctuation then just... Eee. D:

I think when foreigners make mistakes it's cute and forgivable as English isn't their first language but I've met a few people whom speak English better than the majority whom speak it as their first language. x_x

P.S. I love foreigners. XD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:20 am
I'm not a Grammar Nazi because I don't go around correcting people.

But people who won't spell or type properly do bother me. Is it really that hard to capitalize words or type things out completely?

I don't get why someone wouldn't want to be as literate as they can.

Polyphonic Twilight

Steel Raccoon
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:50 am
I only do it online when someone is annoying me.

But irl, I do it all the time to my gf, just to mess with her.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:34 pm
Sometimes bad spelling annoys me, but that's only because I pride myself on good spelling. If you make a typo, there is an edit button.  

Sweet Mona

Topaz_Ash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:06 am
I'm sometimes a grammar nazi, depending on who the person is and what they've done to annoy me... I get easily annoyed *sweat*.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:08 pm
Outside of guilds, my mistress and I are Grammar Nazis.  

[Prototype Zero]

Jesm

6,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:03 am
I cannot STAND incorrect grammar, use of grammar and text-talk. It irritates the hell out of me. I generally tend to try and correct people but I stop short of flaming.

e.g. If someone says "I really like icream" I generally reply with something like "really? Is that something like 'icecream'?"  
The Upshot - Want/Need some actual conversation? <---Go this way.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games