Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Another Blow to Creationism

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is Intelligent Design creationism in a labcoat?
  Of course.
  Hmm...
  No! It's completely different!
  Stop obfuscating the issue and give me gold!
View Results

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:11 pm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12168265

BOO-YAH! blaugh *does a jig*

I like the version in this week's Newsweek, which says to "chalk one up for the Darwinists."

Newsweek
The Discovery Institute, which promotes "intelligent design" as an alternative to Darwin, was quick to assert that Tiktaalik "poses no threat to [ID] ... Few leading [ID] researchers have argued against the existence of transitional forms." Those "leading researchers" may know better, but the fossil gaps are cited many times in the controversial ID textbook "Of Pandas and People." The book takes particular note of the large difference between "the oldest amphibian" and "its presumed [fish] ancestory." It's a gap wide enough for a fish to walk through--and now we know that one did.

4laugh  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:15 am
Freakin' sweet! But intelligent-designists will not be happy until they find bacterium fossils... confused  

HaileSelassie601993

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:58 am
Wow...thats one heck of a fossil to find. It looks in awsome condition!

I want that fossil!

The thing about Creationism and ID is that religious are trying to find a way to exclude humans from having evolved as well. The whole "God put animals on the earth, allowed them to evolve, and then put Humans there" simply evades the issue. It's a pathetic counter-attack to the acceptance that Evolution does exist, and it does happen.

So now they say "Fine, I admit things do evolve over time, but it is because my god made it that way."

I've met two idiots in the GD convinced that Evolution isn't real. Of course when I finally managed to get him(the guy) to take a look at Mirco-evolution he um...said that he agreed with some parts of it. Then the person said that Evolution had to be guided...and gave a bunch of copied and pasted tidbits.

I read his thing, about how Evolution had to be guided...and I countered with Chaos Theory. Then he poofed...and disappeared. He ran.

He was given so much information(real information) and he flat out ignored most of it. Infact he ignored me for most of the debate.

I hate idiots who try to act like they are creationists...then they say the don't believe in evolution? WTF? Anyone who says that evolution doesn't occur is simply ignorent. To support creationist theory and then say you don't believe in evolution is contradicting themselves.

Gaia...you are killing me!

It the course of four weeks I've seen two such low intellects do that very same thing though.

It all really comes not down to other animals...but down to wether or not a person believes humans evolved, or were placed here.

Chaos Theory proves that complex systems have self organizing behavior...thus Evolution does not have to be guided. Anyway...that whole debate was interesting..

Of course no matter what we find hidden in the stone, religious will always find a way to turn a blind eye and be ignorent.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:49 pm
paulkimpaul
But intelligent-designists will not be happy until they find bacterium fossils... confused

There are plenty of those, but finding them would require scouring cubic miles of dirt with a microscope. Let's just say, I'm not holding my breath.

Sanguvixen
Of course when I finally managed to get him(the guy) to take a look at Mirco-evolution he um...said that he agreed with some parts of it.

That's an interesting idea: you have to agree with facts for them to be true. xd Uh, yeah. I wonder if he agrees with the laws of electromagnetism that drive the computer he uses to pollute Gaia.

Sanguvixen

But think of all the good you're doing for the ignorant Gaian masses! Keep it up, for their sake! They'll appreciate your efforts...someday... biggrin

I've seen more articles on this same subject; it seems to now be referred to as the "fishapod" (catchy, eh?). A particularly funny one about a guy selling t-shirts that say "Tick-tock, Tiktaalik roseae... Time is running out for Intelligent Design."  

DivideByZero14

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:16 pm
I've seen that fossil before. But I can't remember if it was on tv or if it was in the museum... Hmmm... confused

Anyways, that is indeed an awesome article. And Sanguvixen once more makes me giggle with glee. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:42 am
DivideByZero14
paulkimpaul
But intelligent-designists will not be happy until they find bacterium fossils... confused

There are plenty of those, but finding them would require scouring cubic miles of dirt with a microscope. Let's just say, I'm not holding my breath.

Sanguvixen
Of course when I finally managed to get him(the guy) to take a look at Mirco-evolution he um...said that he agreed with some parts of it.

That's an interesting idea: you have to agree with facts for them to be true. xd Uh, yeah. I wonder if he agrees with the laws of electromagnetism that drive the computer he uses to pollute Gaia.

Sanguvixen

But think of all the good you're doing for the ignorant Gaian masses! Keep it up, for their sake! They'll appreciate your efforts...someday... biggrin

I've seen more articles on this same subject; it seems to now be referred to as the "fishapod" (catchy, eh?). A particularly funny one about a guy selling t-shirts that say "Tick-tock, Tiktaalik roseae... Time is running out for Intelligent Design."

The guy got on later on, claiming that "His brother" was using his account while he was away. Then he said that his brother was using outdated books....I don't know. I wonder if he's telling the truth or not.

Because in the other argument he got pawned...hmm.. neutral

Sanguvixen

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:00 pm
Sanguvixen

"Pawned"? Do you mean pwn3d? That means "owned" in h4x0r.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:59 am
Sanguvixen
Wow...thats one heck of a fossil to find. It looks in awsome condition!

I want that fossil!

The thing about Creationism and ID is that religious are trying to find a way to exclude humans from having evolved as well. The whole "God put animals on the earth, allowed them to evolve, and then put Humans there" simply evades the issue. It's a pathetic counter-attack to the acceptance that Evolution does exist, and it does happen.

So now they say "Fine, I admit things do evolve over time, but it is because my god made it that way."

I've met two idiots in the GD convinced that Evolution isn't real. Of course when I finally managed to get him(the guy) to take a look at Mirco-evolution he um...said that he agreed with some parts of it. Then the person said that Evolution had to be guided...and gave a bunch of copied and pasted tidbits.

I read his thing, about how Evolution had to be guided...and I countered with Chaos Theory. Then he poofed...and disappeared. He ran.

He was given so much information(real information) and he flat out ignored most of it. Infact he ignored me for most of the debate.

I hate idiots who try to act like they are creationists...then they say the don't believe in evolution? WTF? Anyone who says that evolution doesn't occur is simply ignorent. To support creationist theory and then say you don't believe in evolution is contradicting themselves.

It the course of four weeks I've seen two such low intellects do that very same thing though.

It all really comes not down to other animals...but down to wether or not a person believes humans evolved, or were placed here.

Chaos Theory proves that complex systems have self organizing behavior...thus Evolution does not have to be guided. Anyway...that whole debate was interesting..

Of course no matter what we find hidden in the stone, religious will always find a way to turn a blind eye and be ignorent.

I hate blatantly ignorant people.  

Phoebos

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:32 am
DivideByZero14
Sanguvixen

"Pawned"? Do you mean pwn3d? That means "owned" in h4x0r.

Does the word really matter? That wasn't the first time I met that person, and in the other debate he was basically torn apart because his arguments were invalid and fragmented.

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games