Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
Miniseries v movie

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I prefered:
  the books/mini-series
  the movie
View Results

evabh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:09 pm
I really loved the mini-series, and the actors who played in it. The actors were brilliant.
I wish they would have made the movie a bit closer to the original mini-series and book, but I'm not sure how that would have gone over with an American audience.

How many of you saw both the miniseries and the movie (or read the books and saw the movie), and which did you prefer?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:40 pm
I've seen the miniseries and the movie, and I prefer the miniseries. 3nodding  

wingnut the improbable

[Riot_Knight]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:09 pm
I've read the books and seen the movie, and I love them all equally. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:43 am
The movie was alright, but the humor was all obvious. I prefer the subtlety of the British humor!  

evabh

Tinnumir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:04 am
The movie was alright; one must understand that it's inconsistancies keep it consistant with the rest of the many incarnations.

But that doens't stop me from prefering the mini-series. I just think it was better done.
((Not to mention the cameos from the great Mr. Adams himself))

But of all the variations, My favorite would definitly have to be the books.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:32 pm
Movie!Zaphod was awful. He just got up my nose in a dozen ways. Not literally, of course. I like the books the best. I've never seen the miniseries. One of these days I want to find the radio shows. Those sound like they're really good. And the ending is better! It's actually been exactly a year since I saw the movie. Well, as far as I remember. Not to the hour, obviously, although I think it's close. Much better weather today than when I saw the movie. It was raining so much, the sheer misery of it would have managed to make Marvin happy.
So, anyway, the books beat the movie. It was okay, I guess. Just that Zaphod was obnoxious, Ford can't have been on Earth for 15 years and have been rescued by Arthur from being squashed by a car unless Arthur's looked the same since his mid-teens (although I suppose it's possible Ford was only on Earth for around 5 years), and... come to think of it, it did have its good points. Oh! But Ford was not froody enough.

Lullabee

Timid Elocutionist

The Incorrigible Thalimon

Familiar Dabbler

13,725 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:53 pm
I liked the movie. Though you're right, it had way to much obvious humor.

I prefered the mini series, it's a great way to kill a day and it's got many more of the nessecary references.

I loved the books most of all however... And I still need to hear the radio series...  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:28 pm
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=214850
That is a thread about the radio show downloads. Enjoy.  

mcm

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:55 pm
Your poll has me stuck... I prefered... the books and the movie.

The books mainly...

But you have it as... the books and the miniseries. NO FAIR. xp  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:53 pm
I just watched the mini series today, and I am in love with it. It followed the books, and the radio series so well, and all the actors (except the girl who played Trillain) did a wonderful job of their character. The guy who played Ford made Ford seem like Ford.

The movie however was good, but there was just not enough jokes in it, and the humour didn't seem the same. Zaphod wasn't Zaphod, and he didn't make fun of Arthur every second like he was susposed to, and the actor who played Ford killed the character. He just didn't seem like Ford at all, he didn't have any of Ford's funny lines, and well just wasn't very Froody at all.

But when it comes to all of the versions of the HG2G, I think I like either the radio series or the books the best. I don't know it is hard to say.

Anyways are there more than six epitsodes in the mini series, because I onlly have seen six, and for some reason I keep thinking that there is more than that.

Daska

Lidaby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:54 am
The movie was pretty dodgy, I have to admit I was rather disappointed. They didn't follow the book, and... just generally, they could have done a whole lot better.

The books on the other hand were EXCELLENT, and a very entertaining read, and even though you could tell they had a rather tight budget when making the miniseries, it was still WAY MORE awesome than the movie. The actors suited the roles, and it- was just generally awesome. Even if they recycled their costumes. But hey, thats part of what made it so great.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:08 pm
the radio series was my favourite, it follows the books nicely, as douglas adams helped produce it himself it was right. i didn't like the movie at all, i felt they took out all the best bits and put in a load of stuff that didn't fit the tone. it was too slapstick and not english enough.
i'm english and i don't watch cricket all day in between cups of tea, but movie arthur dent wasn't like that at all  

potoroo99

Dedale

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:50 pm
OMG, there's not EVEN a comparison there....I have to stand aghast at my friends who think that the movie was better. It wasn't even the same story. It was actually kind of lame. The books were brilliant, the tv show was brilliant, the radio show was brilliant, the movie was *fizzle*. I seen/heard/read them all at least five times each...yes I am obsessed. redface  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:59 am
Freaj
The movie was pretty dodgy, I have to admit I was rather disappointed. They didn't follow the book, and... just generally, they could have done a whole lot better.

It was never supposed to follow the books. And the books weren't supposed to follow the radio series, etc. It was all supposed to be loosely related but not a carbon copy of eachother. Douglas Adams said so himself and even helped differentiate between the different versions by specifically creating differences in them - like the character who took Zaphod's head in the movie was specifically designed for the movie by Douglas Adams.

With that said, I liked the movie because it was h2g2 but it seemed a bit too polished and not quite with the feel of it. The miniseries was less polished but felt more.. h2g2 ish  

Ryuu_Noire

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games