Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The feeling of being an Atheist. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

p u l p y

Fuzzy Dog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:42 am
A few years ago I decided to be an Atheist, I'm not sure when since I have horrible memory. But I believe it was on 9/11 that I had lost my 'faith in God' (if there is such a thing).

I was in 4th grade when I decided I would be an Atheist and I have felt better without having a 'god' in my life. 3nodding

How 'bout you?

PS - Hi, Guild. :]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:27 am
I don't know about feeling 'better', but when looking around me, seeing christians and members of other religions believing stupidly ridiculous things because "the bible says ir so it must be true" type of things, it makes me feel knowledgable and satisfyingy un-ignorant. It's great that I don't base my actions in life upon a 4000 year old book mrgreen  

Muaethia

p u l p y

Fuzzy Dog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:29 am
Muaethia
I don't know about feeling 'better', but when looking around me, seeing christians and members of other religions believing stupidly ridiculous things because "the bible says ir so it must be true" type of things, it makes me feel knowledgable and satisfyingy un-ignorant. It's great that I don't base my actions in life upon a 4000 year old book mrgreen

Same here, I don't like it when people quote the Bible when arguing with me. xp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:14 pm
P u l p y
Muaethia

Yeah. I also hate it when people talk to me like they have the moral high ground because they are religious, or that I wouldn't know anything about their religion/denomination/beliefs simply because i'm an athiest. My RS teacher (religious studies) was very suprised when she learned i'm an athiest, because I pwn all the christian kids in every exam about their religion... without revising xd  

Muaethia

Phoebos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:42 pm
Muaethia
P u l p y
Muaethia

Yeah. I also hate it when people talk to me like they have the moral high ground because they are religious, or that I wouldn't know anything about their religion/denomination/beliefs simply because i'm an athiest. My RS teacher (religious studies) was very suprised when she learned i'm an athiest, because I pwn all the christian kids in every exam about their religion... without revising xd

Nice.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:34 pm
Hey there, Pulpy!

It's the same for me--a distinct feeling of intellectual and moral superiority. I have no illusions. I cannot ever really respect someone I know to be a theist.  

DivideByZero14

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:38 pm
I never did believe in religion or in a god.

From the beginning when the idea was introduced, I turned against it.

I feel as though my life is less complicated being an athiest. I feel that I have better things to do than obsess over something so primitive as (what will happen after I die). Which is what religion does...it makes you obsess over doing the right things when alive, so that after death you'll have a pleasant experience.

Being athiest makes things so much easier. If I want something to happen I have to work for it. I have to earn it. If something is happening that is bad, than I'll take a stand for it an initiate the change I desire.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:21 pm
Muaethia
P u l p y
Muaethia

I learned about 'God' for about 8 years, I think I know what I'm talking about if I were to insult Christianity.

p u l p y

Fuzzy Dog

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:29 pm
P u l p y
I learned about 'God' for about 8 years, I think I know what I'm talking about if I were to insult Christianity.

I think it's hilarious how atheists know so much more about religion, generally, than the theists.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:34 pm
Well, when I first came to this realization I felt alone. Very alone, and a little depressed. I like losing immortality. After a while I coped, and I started to feel more mature. I felt like I had taken "full" responsibility for myself: no influence, no help, no evil. All that happens is just as it does, and if I want things to change, I am the one who has to do something. Now, I just feel like a minority: different from everyone else, but only in this area. I also feel like I'm the only one who gets an obvious joke, however, if I try to explain this joke to people, I usually get a very negative reaction. Meh, thus is life.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Muaethia

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:06 am
DivideByZero14
P u l p y

I think it's hilarious how atheists know so much more about religion, generally, than the theists.

It's true. It's probably because intelligent people are likely to be athiests, think outside the box, and stupid people are more likely not to think for themselves and follow a religion.

Not that I'm saying everyone religious is stupid, but that's the type of pattern I've seen.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:02 am
DivideByZero14

This applies to one of my friends. She became Christian last year and she tried to convert me, but from the arguments she used and her responses to what I said, it was obvious that she probably knew less about her religion than I do. (Yes, it's the same person that I've mentioned in some other threads.)

My reason for being an atheist is that I find the idea of there being a "god" ridiculous. It is not really because it makes me feel better, but of course I'm happy being an atheist.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

iviary

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:29 pm
I recently overheard a christian asking if the bible was "worth" reading. @__@  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:51 pm
Being an atheist gives me the feeling of being free from the pressure theists are under.  

Freebird4077

Dapper Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:03 pm
Atheism is the ultimate cure! It encourages:
  • being proactive,
  • being intelligent,
  • questioning your world,
  • peacemaking skills (in arguments with theists),
  • doing what you can in this life,
  • being practical,
  • social acceptance,
  • AND tasteful use of emoticons.
Quite a deal, huh? As the proud owner of the Doctor's Parabolic Reflector, I prescribe atheism for all of humanity! (A vaccine will be forthcoming...)  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff