Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
May 1, 2006 - First Day!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:08 pm
First day of May, and a Monday?! There is NO better day to start this all off.

Here's the general idea. I have numerous design feeds I subscribe to, and I run into articles and stuff that I think "I'd like to share this with the guild" or "it would be fun to have a discussion about this". So started the idea for a daily, or semi-daily as this is more likely to be, design digest.

Every other day or so I'll post a link or a few, with maybe some commentary, and then everyone should just go wild commenting and discussing about it!!

I hope this is an enjoyable feature. Let me know of any suggestions or ideas you have regarding it.

This is perhaps a slight overlap with the Tutorials and Resources subforum, but that's not really a place for discussion as much as I'd like this to be.

On with the show!

~~~

Monday, May 1st, 2006

When is Bad Design a Good Thing?

Here is an interesting article about the misconceptions about design and usability, and it contains a lot of other links if you're interested in reading more.

Bad Design is Good Design?  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:49 am

Great idea! i'm all for it.

As for the article? The first comment sums it up mostly: "It is obvious that this person has design confused with decoration and style" - if something is not usable it's just an ornament.

Catani

GhoSt-X

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:03 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:39 pm
People like pretty things, they like it even more when its easy to use; just look at the iPod (I know its not web design, but its an example).

I'm getting tired of the whole "bad design is better" thing.  

brokenyoyo

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:19 pm
Ooh interesting discussion!

I agree that a good design has to be able to communicate its message well - good design is not defined by how pretty it is.

That being said I'm not completely sure how much I like this new trend towards functionality over form in web design. Okay, so functionality is more important, and the look does work for some sites... but I would hate to see 'pretty' sites completely die out.

The function-over-form sites I'm talking about are sites like Google, Flickr, del.icio.us

... all sites that I love and use often, and I'm not sure if their function and content would have as much as an impact with a more flashy design, but they seem to be cropping up more and more lately.

Oh and the Google logo is pretty horrible xp I'd say its success is more of a testament to its developers than the brilliance of its (visual) design.  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:38 am
Chisa
Oh and the Google logo is pretty horrible xp I'd say its success is more of a testament to its developers than the brilliance of its (visual) design.
At least that tells you that they are putting more time into important things... and really ... theyve always had that logo so itd be a bit strage to change it now ...  

GhoSt-X

Catani

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:53 am

well i have to agree that they got the brand through delivering services and not marketing but i have to make a point they changed the logo - and it looks much better now - before there were some groosome eyes in those oo's ^^

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:46 pm
Andy Rutledge did a redux of google's index page. Its pretty good.
Andy's Google Redux

There is also a greasemonkey script to make google look like his redux. Its not exactly the same but as close as possible. Google Redux Script  

brokenyoyo

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:29 pm
Catani

well i have to agree that they got the brand through delivering services and not marketing but i have to make a point they changed the logo - and it looks much better now - before there were some groosome eyes in those oo's ^^

Ooh I remember that now! Definitely an improvement over that xp

I like that redux Yoyo, I can see how it would improve useability.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:27 pm
stumbled across "google factory tour" video and i think it's the best logo for any of their products/services/etc.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

ps in the "more" section of google the "groosome eyes" stand for google toolbar - they really must like them =_=;;;

Catani

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff