Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Tutorial etiquette

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:59 am
I have no idea how to spell that word...

Anyway, I was wondering what the rules for tutorial etiquette were. I've done a couple things that I made from tutorials that were... less than clear. I've then had people ask me for tutorials but I feel weird since it wasn't my original idea.

So say I wanted to post a tutorial on duct tape wings. I got the idea from a thread on craftster but I had to modify it a bit. Would I just not post a tutorial at all, or maybe post one and link back to the original? What are the rules on this sort of thing?  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:32 pm
If you made modifications, I would post the link and give them credit before moving on to describe the changes you made and posting the directions for your version.  

LadyAnubis

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:58 pm
(also has no idea how you spell that word.)

I don't know if there really is an "etiquette" for tutorials... other than just don't be a jerk about it.
myself, I would post the link to were ever I got it, and tell them about how I changed it.

and as an after thought, I would love to see them made with colored duct tape, like red or black. whee  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:46 pm
I think it makes sense to give credit where credit is due. If you feel that you made significant changes, you could put the referece to the other page anywhere. If you don't think your changes were that major, you should reference it closer to the top. Either way the actual link to the other page could be anywhere (footnotes and citations are often at the end of a work, so I don't think anyone would be upset) as long as you say "this idea" or "this part was taken from xxxxx." As far as I know there are no specific etiquette rules for this, as long as you're polite and not plagarizing. (And for the record, I think you all spelled etiquette right, though I could be wrong about that.)  

enlith

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff