Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Law

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:14 am
I've been thinking about this for a while now.

Is anyone familure with Madalyne O'Hair?
http://www.atheists.org/visitors.center/OHairFamily/

She's was an early pioneer in Athiesm in America. She was also the one who was involved in finally getting prayer banned from public schools.

After court made its ruling the family disappeared. I feel that they were probably murdered by the opposing side(theists). Maybe they went into hiding...who knows.

I am certain murder was on the minds of quite a few thiests.

It seemed the nobody really cared that they disappeared. At least the religious were happy she was gone. She has been given the term "The most hated women". The police never really gave their disappearance much attention.

It is as if the O'Hair family were given less attention for disappearing because of what they stood for.

Now if the same thing were to happen to a religious family...let us say a religious family pushed for some religious thing to be put through the gov't and they won. Then let us say the entire family disappeared. What would have happened?

People would have jumped up ASAP, and the police would be all over the case in trying to find those individuals.

In America people are supposed to have equal protection regardless of age, sex, race, or religion. If you look around people who are Athiest seem to be given less protection than those who are Religious.

So the Quesiton is...why?

People who go for certain causes are given treatment based upon what they are for.

A good amount of people in this world are religious.
Not as many people are athiest. Somewhere along this strange way of thinking crops this question as well.

If someone endevours for something to happen, and they brake the law doing it...what justifies in the minds of people wether or not the law breaking can be forgiven, or wether or not it is acceptable?

PETA breaks the law frequantly for what they consider to be a good cause. They plant moles in organizations, and break into buildings(trespassing) to gain what "Evidence" the want.

If other people who oppose them use the same tactics(such as moles planted into the organization) PETA goes berserk, and turns to the Gov't for help.

Where I am getting at is...if that O'hair family was murdered by a religious group...many religous people would not condone the murderer for it, because of what the family stood for.

If it were the other way around, people would be livid, calling it a hate crime.

Religion groups together, and often use aggresive tactics to get what they want. Sometimes those tactics are quite illegal. If athiests were to try the same thing, they would be in a load of legal trouble. Is that right?

What are you thoughts on this? This is open to any discussion relevent to the above.

I guess I'll add Discussion Tags:

What do you think happened to the O'Hair Family?
Do you think that Athiests/Agnostics are given less protection than Thiests in terms of the Law(Gov't,Police, Court, Ect)?
Discuss the O'Hair Family...and all things related to them.
Discuss the whole Prayer in Public Schools thing.
Discuss breaking the law, and when it is considered justified.
Discuss PETA.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:59 pm
Well, there is something on that page I'd like to discuss...

*reads list*

OK, it's not on there, but it was on that webpage, and it's related to what you're talking about.

Besides majority numbers, what do the theists have over us? Simple: organization. Being a member of "organized" religion commits one to support the same candidate for offices, advocate the same Supreme Court justices, and have the same set of beliefs.

Atheists have nothing remotely similar. That's the way, I think, we prefer it. But, let's face it, like the Democrats, unless we pull together and get as corrupt and underhanded as our opponents, we're never going to see an candidate in office. And as long as there aren't any atheist lawmakers, there will be no atheist laws.

What can we do? We can organize, go door to door proselytizing, and muscle a candidate into office. We can hack the Diebolds. Or (my personal favorite arrow ) we can convince Vermont to secede, and all go up there. In all seriousness, though, the government is just doing its job: following the will of the majority. If the majority is against religious equality, than the government will act accordingly, hoping to hold that 98% re-election rate. The right of the minority doesn't apply to us, obviously, because we are devil-worshipping black-magic heathens.  

DivideByZero14

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:41 am
DivideByZero14
Well, there is something on that page I'd like to discuss...

*reads list*

OK, it's not on there, but it was on that webpage, and it's related to what you're talking about.

Besides majority numbers, what do the theists have over us? Simple: organization. Being a member of "organized" religion commits one to support the same candidate for offices, advocate the same Supreme Court justices, and have the same set of beliefs.

Atheists have nothing remotely similar. That's the way, I think, we prefer it. But, let's face it, like the Democrats, unless we pull together and get as corrupt and underhanded as our opponents, we're never going to see an candidate in office. And as long as there aren't any atheist lawmakers, there will be no atheist laws.

What can we do? We can organize, go door to door proselytizing, and muscle a candidate into office. We can hack the Diebolds. Or (my personal favorite arrow ) we can convince Vermont to secede, and all go up there. In all seriousness, though, the government is just doing its job: following the will of the majority. If the majority is against religious equality, than the government will act accordingly, hoping to hold that 98% re-election rate. The right of the minority doesn't apply to us, obviously, because we are devil-worshipping black-magic heathens.

Athiests have tried to group together in an organized way. Everytime that happens....opposing groups ad hominem the hell out of the group...and it seems to make people look down upon athiests for it.

The ACLU is slightly organized, and you wouldn't believe how much it gets attacked.

If you know the JINYS thread....you'll have learned some of the key things that mirror religion in real life.

By being just as aggressive and ignorent as the people entering the thread Roman eventually got banned, and religious gaians got together and acted in a very organized way to get the thread killed.

Eventually he did get his point through. Eventually some people saw what was going on and realized the real meaning of the thread. However it exposed what those people really are. It sort of proved that they are what they claim not to be, through their actions, words, ignorance and behavior they kind of revealed thier true selves.

If being as aggresive as the opposition isn't going to work, what other options are there? What do you all think would be good tactics for athiests if they were to become organized?

Perhaps the government is doing its job, catering to the majority. I just feel it isn't right that the minority gets trampled, and ignored.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:24 pm
There is no law that can eliminate personal bias... and the bias against us is staggeringly negative.

It's already illegal to discriminate against people for their religious beliefs. The problem is proving it.

We are an enemy that most religious folks can unite against. And do.

Good tactics? Do as we have always done, be the voices of reason. We have gained ground over the years in the face of a much more organised opposition than this. And now, they CANNOT silence us. They simply don't have that power any more. They can, and do, try. But they fail. There are simply too many ways for us to get our views across. There are too many reasonable people out there, religious people, that aren't going to be convinced by the usual crap that comes from the mouths of religious fanatics.

There are simply not enough fanatics in the world to destroy everything that people or reason have worked for over the millenia.
I'm not worried, as long as we do not drop the ball now, everything will be ok.  

Redem

idiotic randomness

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:06 am
whoa thats some great theiorys i agree with you  
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:07 am
I think Atheists/Agnostics are treated discriminately by theists because they believe we are "wrong." Theists are brain-washed to believe that they are "right" in everything they do and that it's all justifiable. So whenever we do something for our cause, they say something like, "You're working for the Devil!" or something. I mean, have you ever been to a Christian church service? That's basically what they preach. "The Devil is in those who don't believe!" etc, etc.

FalseDiagnosis

iviary

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:41 pm
FalseDiagnosis
I think Atheists/Agnostics are treated discriminately by theists because they believe we are "wrong." Theists are brain-washed to believe that they are "right" in everything they do and that it's all justifiable. So whenever we do something for our cause, they say something like, "You're working for the Devil!" or something. I mean, have you ever been to a Christian church service? That's basically what they preach. "The Devil is in those who don't believe!" etc, etc.

I about got up and left during a Church-orchestra performance, at a morning service, when the Preacher made the statement that, "Atheists and Agnostics are really Ignostics, in that they have not been taught the love of our savior, Jesus Christ." Sir, you'd be surprised.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games