Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Tsubasa Reservoir Cosplay

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:06 am
I'm a big cosplay geek and that's why I joined this Guild. I need help with whatever cosplay things that I'm working on. I need help on this outfit:
User Image
I already know how I plan on getting it to look that way. Like how I'm going to lay the fabric, but what I don't know is how I'm going to sew the edges of the fabric on there without it fraying (eplling) or losing it's edge because if I hem it I guess you could say, it would round the edges. I've also seen some people who can do this kind of stuff and you can't see where they've sewn it on.

1. Did they really sew it on or did they maybe glue it on?
2. Would that be a better way to do this?
3. Should I double layer this?
4. How in the fish do I do a lining? (if that's what I need)
5. Fabric suggestions?
6. Is this a Kimono? (I can't really tell if this is Kimono style or a robe of some sort . . . I guess they're kind of the same)

I really appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:29 pm
Um... are you doing Shaoran's outfit or Sakura's?

If edges are the problem, there's a product called Fray Check. If put around the edges of your cutting, it will prevent fraying. 3nodding

Shaoran's outfit looks to be a very modified yukata.. almost a robe with yukata type sewing. The only exception being the sleeves. He also seems to be wearing a chinese shirt underneath (almost looks like Luke Skywalker's outfit). Sakura's looks to be a top kimono layer... but with some sort of turtleneck underneath. It looks like the obi isn't really an obi at all, but some sorta belt similiar to Shaoran's... only taller like a corset, but not as tight as one.

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:42 pm
Will the fray check like bubble up on the fabric though? I'm doing Sakura's outfit and I think I already have a pattern for the top. Sorry . . I didn't mention that I need help with the flame part of it for the most part. I think I have a general idea of everything else. I was planning on layering the fabric. So do the maroon first then the red over it then the orange over that but I don't want to really sew it on there . . . I guess I'm going to have to thought ne?

As for the fray check again: how long does the stuff last?  
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:05 pm
Layering the fabrics seems like it would make the hem rather heavy. Have you thought about using fabric paint/dye instead? www.dharmatrading.com has some great dyes and fabric paints. They also have fabric crayons and fabric marking pens if that's what you'd rather use. The catalog (and probably the website) has tips on what coloring agent to use on what fabric type.

My bottle of fray check says that you need to use rubbing alcohol to remove unwanted spots of it from the fabric, so I would assume that the fray check is pretty permanant. The last time I used it was on my daughter's dance costume though, so I can't say how well it goes through the wash, or dry cleaning. They do say to test it in an area that won't be seen before using it on a whole garment.
When I've used fray check, I run the tip of the bottle over the edge of the fabric. The fray check sort of sinks into the fabric and if you have too much in one spot it doesn't bubble, but it wicks farther up the fabric.

It looks like you will want to use a lightweight fabric so that the costume will flow around you. You will probably want to use some sort of stiff interfacing on the collar so that it will stand up like it does in the picture.
I would avoid using a knit fabric, as some knits do tend to pill. I'd suggest going to a fabric store and just playing a bit with the fabrics. Try to get a feeling for which fabric will give you the look you want. If a clerk comes over and asks what you're doing, show her/him the picture and explain the effect you're trying to achieve. If it's a good fabric store at least one of the workers there should be able to suggest something.

Good luck with this, I'd love to see pictures of the costume when it's finished.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:46 pm
for the Dharma Fiber Reaction stuff I can paint that stuff on correct? With a normal paintbrush? It doesn't really say that I can paint it on or anything let alone with what . . .  
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:40 am
I haven't used it myself, I was just making suggestions. Looking through the catalog though, it appears that you can paint with the fiber reactive dyes but it looks like it's a good idea to get a paint brush designed for fabric. (They sell those too. ) They also have felt tip pens that you can fill with any color dye. I would suggest calling to see what they recomend for your project though.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:30 pm
They also have spray on dyes (my mother got some in purple and it came out really well). I think it's called "Simply Spray". Anyhoos... if you make a template out of paper for the flames, it might be easier to just spray on the dye.

Just so you know, there's not A LOT of dye in those cans. For a garment of that size, you'd probably need 5+ cans of each color. sad So it may get pricey that way.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:39 pm
so can I get the pens or brushes at like . . . JoAnne's fabric, Hancock Fabrics or like . . . a Hobby Lobby? I'm not sure if you guys have those (I'm kinda dumb). So do they carry them at normal craft and or fabric stores?  

sakurachan61123

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:22 pm
I've seen fabric (felt tip type) markers at Micheals before, but it was a few years ago. The craft chains tend to only carry supplies for the "popular" crafts but it never hurts to check. You can definitely buy them from Dharma Trading though.
I've never been to a Hobby Lobby, we don't have one in my area. And the last time I was in a Joanne's it was with my husband and we were looking for something specific so I didn't get to look around much. My husband doesn't understand the fine art of window shopping.  
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:34 pm
roflmao. That's what women are best at. You look in the window. If the window display sucks, you move on~ I'll tell you if I find some sometime here soon. Dang license!  

sakurachan61123

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:17 pm
hose big chain craft stores are a good place to look, but if you only have access to a smaller one then they can probibly order in what you want. Either way fabric stores usually hire sewing type people so they should
be able to tell you what store to go to if they don't have what you need.

*assumes your question about how people sew things on without them looking sewn on is about the applique*
its a fancy pants hand stitch, with thread the same color of the fabric you make stitches every so often that are tiny, only a couple of threads wide. *I think*  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:18 pm
I'm not EVEN gonna attempt that one. . . that would be way hard with as much fabric as I'm gonna have to deal with . . . I think I'll have to stick to the dye. I'm sorry if this cosplay doesn't come out anytime soon. I have to get the money for it first xd not only that but the time. I have to make 16 costumes this summer and it's not gonna be easy.  

sakurachan61123

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff