Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
This is why I'm an atheist.... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are they correct?
  I'll give a big hell no when I'm done laughing.
  Yes! Take those cereal eating basterds to a medical center!
  I think its about time we let them in on the secret that Christainity was made up by Hitler to make people hate the Jews.
  Hail Satan!
View Results

Lash Vereaux

Quotable Genius

5,350 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:45 am
Recently a flyer from a local church was sent around with an important message, a message that we as young people should all take notice of. Here it is in full.

If Your Child is a Gothic, Reform Through the Lord!
Listed below are some warning signs to indicate if your
child may have gone astray from the Lord.

Gothic (or goth) is a very obscure and often dangerous
culture that young teenagers are prone to participating in. The gothic culture leads young, susceptible minds into an imagined world of evil,darkness, and violence. Please seek immediate attention through counselling, prayer,
and parental guidance to rid your child of Satan's temptations if five or more of the following are applicable to your child:

-Frequently wears black clothing.
-Wears band and/or rock t-shirts.
-Wears excessive black eye makeup, lipstick or nailpolish.
-Wears any odd, silver jewelry or symbols. Some of these include:
reversed crosses, pentagrams, pentacles, ankhs or various other Satanic worshipping symbols.
-Shows an interest in piercings or tattoos.
-Listens to gothic or any other anti-social genres of
music. (Marilyn Manson claims to be the anti-Christ, and publicly speaks
against the Lord. Please discard any such albums IMMEDIATELY.)
-Associates with other people that dress, act or speak eccentrically.
-Shows a declining interest in wholesome activities, such
as: the Bible, prayer, church or sports.
-Shows an increasing interest in death, vampires, magic,
the occult, witchcraft or anything else that involves Satan.
-Takes drugs.
-Drinks alcohol.
-Is suicidal and/or depressed.
-Cuts, burns or partakes in any other method of self-mutilation. (This is a Satanic ritual that uses pain to detract from the light of God and
His love. Please seek immediate attention for this at your local mental health center.)
-Complains of boredom.
-Sleeps too excessively or too little.
-Is excessively awake during the night.
-Dislikes sunlight or any other form of light. (This pertains to vampires promoting the idea that His light is of no use.)
-Demands an unusual amount of privacy.
-Spends large amounts of time alone.
-Requests time alone and quietness. (This is so that your child may speak to evil sprits.)
-Insists on spending time with friends while unaccompanied by an adult.
-Disregards authority figures; teachers, priests, nuns and
elders are but a few examples of this.
-Misbehaves at school.
-Misbehaves at home.
-Eats excessively or too little.
-Eats goth-related foods. Count Chocula cereal is an example of this.
-Drinks blood or expresses an interest in drinking blood.
(Vampires believe this is how to attain Satan. This act is very dangerous and should be stopped immediately.)
-Watches cable television or any other corrupted media sources. (Ask your local church for proper programs that your child may watch.)
-Plays videos games that contains violence or role-playing nature.
-Uses the internet excessively and frequently makes time for the computer.
-Makes Satanic symbols and/or violently shakes head to music.
-Dances to music in a provocative manner.
-Is homosexual and/or bisexual.
-Pursues dangerous cult religions. Such include: Satanism, Scientology, Philosophy, Paganism, Wicca, Hinduism and Buddhism.
-Wears pins, stickers or anything else that contains these various phrases: "I'm so gothic, I'm dead", "woe is me", "I'm a goth".
-Claims to be a goth.

If five or more of these apply to your child, please intervene immediately. The gothic culture is dangerous and Satan thrives within it. If any of these problems persist, enlist your child into your local mental health center.

I post this here so you can all see the dangers of this insideous subculture. I myself was almost lured into its self-destructive spiral, but through the help of my local church and parents I managed to escape. Your church can help you too, if you just pay close attention to the warning signs.

Thank you.  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:14 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

+.Obscure.Nightmares.+

Muaethia

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:28 am
rofl rofl rofl

buddhism is a dangerous cult?

xd xd

Quote:
-Wears band and/or rock t-shirts.
-Associates with other people that dress, act or speak eccentrically.
-Drinks alcohol.
-Complains of boredom.
-Requests time alone and quietness.
-Misbehaves at school.
-Misbehaves at home.
-Watches cable television or any other corrupted media sources. (Ask your local church for proper programs that your child may watch.)

^ ^

Oh noes! I'm an average teenager therefore i'm a goth and i'm EVIL!

I don't know anyone my age who doesn't fit at least 5 of those criteria, christian or not. Most of my friends fit all.

Are you sure this wasn't a joke?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:48 am
Let me see here:

Frequently Wears Black...yep that is me!
I wear black because it is my favored color. I also wear gray.

Show an interest in peircing or tattoos.
I want to get a tattoo of Mushu from the Disney Movie Mulan.

Listens to gothic or any other anti-social genres of
music
Distrubed...Perfect Circle? I listen to both.

Associates with other people that dress, act or speak eccentrically.
I am a furrie. I associate with furries. Is that eccentric?

Shows a declining interest in wholesome activities, such
How about lets say I never had an interest in the three?

Sleeps too excessively or too little.
So what? I sleep in sometimes, and sometimes I wake up too early.

Is excessively awake during the night.
So what? I'm a person that prefers to be more active at night.

Demands an unusual amount of privacy.
That is just the way I am.

Requests time alone and quietness. (This is so that your child may speak to evil sprits.)
When alone(I am alone a lot)I listen to music, read books, and play video-games.
I prefer quietness because I suffer from Migrane Headaches. A lot of noise can trigger migrains.

Eats excessively or too little.
I eat one meal a day, and I snack the rest of the time. So what?

Watches cable television or any other corrupted media sources.
I watch Animal Planet, the Sci-fi channel, the Discover Channel, and TLC...Woot for corruptness!

Plays videos games that contains violence or role-playing nature.
I play video-games because they are fun. The Bible contains violence too you know!

Uses the internet excessively and frequently makes time for the computer. Yep...I'm addicted to Gaia. So what?

I think that is more than five. Last time I checked though the only sub-culture I am a part of is the Furrie Subculture. I'm not goth.

Sanguvixen

Muaethia

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:16 am
Sanguvixen
I am a part of is the Furrie Subculture. I'm not goth.

Subcultures. Interesting. What exactly is a "furrie"? I live in the UK and things are obviously different here. We have the main groups of:

~ Chavs (wearing burbery, white tracksuits, sportsware, huge gold rings and earrings they call 'bling', have an extremely anti-social attitude, hang around in huge gangs, wear too much luridly coloured eyeshadow and orange fake tan and wear hair in high ponytails in girls, fail all their exams and hang around bus shelters getting pregnent at 14 instead)

~ Moshers (like heavy rock bands, 'mosher' music, black sweaters, have stereotypically long, dyed hair, 'mosh' to their music)

~ Emos (I think you have those over in the US, but basically they think that everyone hates them and no-one understands them, cut themselves to weird music, have fringes that covour half their faces)

~ Scene Kids (happy emos, who wear bandanas and dress unusually)

Those are just 4 typical examples. We have goths, also. I personally do not like to classify myself, but I dislike chavs greatly and have several emo-ish friends. Some things don't always fit, there are grey areas. For example, not everyone who cuts themselves is automatically emo, and not everyone who wears sports stuff is automatically a 'chav'. It's a combination.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:53 am
Muaethia
Sanguvixen
I am a part of is the Furrie Subculture. I'm not goth.

Subcultures. Interesting. What exactly is a "furrie"? I live in the UK and things are obviously different here. We have the main groups of:

~ Chavs (wearing burbery, white tracksuits, sportsware, huge gold rings and earrings they call 'bling', have an extremely anti-social attitude, hang around in huge gangs, wear too much luridly coloured eyeshadow and orange fake tan and wear hair in high ponytails in girls, fail all their exams and hang around bus shelters getting pregnent at 14 instead)

~ Moshers (like heavy rock bands, 'mosher' music, black sweaters, have stereotypically long, dyed hair, 'mosh' to their music)

~ Emos (I think you have those over in the US, but basically they think that everyone hates them and no-one understands them, cut themselves to weird music, have fringes that covour half their faces)

~ Scene Kids (happy emos, who wear bandanas and dress unusually)

Those are just 4 typical examples. We have goths, also. I personally do not like to classify myself, but I dislike chavs greatly and have several emo-ish friends. Some things don't always fit, there are grey areas. For example, not everyone who cuts themselves is automatically emo, and not everyone who wears sports stuff is automatically a 'chav'. It's a combination.

Furrie isn't a main group like those are though.
I mean, most people don't know what it is. o.x

Oh and I have seen this same list of goth 'reform through the lord' things posted online so many times. It's not really funny anymore, for me at least.  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:38 pm
It's a first for me; I think it's hilarious. Count Chocula? The Internet? Cable?

I'm no fan of goths, but I like Christianity far less, so I say, "Eat that cereal!"

(Also, I think the list has been edited...I see no mention of homosexuality in the list, but Obscure Nightmares quotes it...)

@Muaethia
I'd be fascinated to hear more about English stereotypes. Yeah, here we have Goths, Emos, Neo-Hippies (a lot like the "Scene Kids"), and people who are entirely normal except insist on wearing chains and leather. I dunna understand that...  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:16 pm
Quote:

So what if I wear black? It does not, I repeat, DOES NOT, make me a bad person

Quote:
-Wears any odd, silver jewelry or symbols.

I wear them because I like the interesting shapes. They're different from other necklaces, and because of that, they're awesome. I hate the 'norm'.

Quote:
-Shows an interest in piercings or tattoos.

I like them. They show one's personality through them.

Quote:
-Listens to gothic or any other anti-social genres of
music.

The main reason I'm still alive is due to my music. So take it away at your own risk.

Quote:
-Shows a declining interest in wholesome activities, such

Same answer as Sanguvixen

Quote:
-Shows an increasing interest in death, vampires, magic, the occult, witchcraft or anything else that involves Satan.

So what if death fascinates me? I'm allowed to think what I want, am I not?

Quote:
-Is suicidal and/or depressed.

you know, not all goths are depressed and/or suicidal. That's just a stereotypical thing there.

Quote:

Almost everyone has that problem every once and awhile at least

Quote:
-Is excessively awake during the night.

Some people are night owls, others are morning birds

Quote:
-Requests time alone and quietness. (This is so that your child may speak to evil sprits.)

You know, if one person doesn't get enough time alone just to relax, it builds up and they'll eventually take out all that stress on someone

Quote:
-Insists on spending time with friends while unaccompanied by an adult.
-Misbehaves at school.
-Misbehaves at home.

What's wrong with being a teenager?

Quote:
-Eats goth-related foods. Count Chocula cereal is an example of this.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I had to laugh my head off at this one. Count Chocula... a goth food? So now this is what we've come to: labeling foods either preppy, goth, emo, metal, etc. HAHAHAHA!!!

Quote:

Sorry, but this is what the world is now. Technology. Soon, every kid by age 10 will probably know how to work a computer.

Quote:
I post this here so you can all see the dangers of this insideous subculture. I myself was almost lured into its self-destructive spiral, but through the help of my local church and parents I managed to escape. Your church can help you too, if you just pay close attention to the warning signs.

Thank you.

Please tell me that was the end of the letter and not your personal thing. Because if it was yours, well... that's just sad. I'll leave it at that.  

Shadow`s Enigma

Apocalyptic Warrior

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:04 pm
VERY LONG POST WARNING

Welcome to "How Christians Define Themselves as Goth". Today we'll be looking at one "Lash Vereaux".

• -Frequently wears black clothing.
    Funerals.
  • -Wears band and/or rock t-shirts.
    "WWJD?" shirts.
  • -Wears excessive black eye makeup, lipstick or nailpolish.
    Ever gotten dressed up for church? Maybe it's not black, but...
  • -Wears any odd, silver jewelry or symbols. Some of these include:
    reversed crosses, pentagrams, pentacles, ankhs or various other Satanic worshipping symbols.

How about wearing little metallic figurines of a prostrate guy nailed to a wooden cross? That's pretty macabre, and, rather goth.
  • -Shows an interest in piercings or tattoos.
    There are plenty of Christian tatoos. And many good Christian women get their ears pierced.
  • -Listens to gothic or any other anti-social genres of
    music. (Marilyn Manson claims to be the anti-Christ, and publicly speaks
    against the Lord. Please discard any such albums IMMEDIATELY.)

Have you ever heard some of this Christian stuff? It's not exactly accepting and socially progressive.
  • -Associates with other people that dress, act or speak eccentrically.
    Uh...nuns?
  • -Shows a declining interest in wholesome activities, such

I see Christians with a declining interest in wholesome activies like THOUGHT!
  • -Shows an increasing interest in death, vampires, magic,
    the occult, witchcraft or anything else that involves Satan.

Christians take a deep interest in death, angels, miracles--basically, same stuff.
  • -Takes drugs.
    I don't think being Christian makes one any less likely to use drugs. Also, most encourage consumption of alchohol, which is definitely a drug.
  • -Drinks alcohol.
    See above.
  • -Is suicidal and/or depressed.
    Catholics.
  • -Cuts, burns or partakes in any other method of self-mutilation. (This is a Satanic ritual that uses pain to detract from the light of God and
    His love. Please seek immediate attention for this at your local mental health center.)

What about Lent? That's self-denial of something the way goths deny themselves health.
  • -Complains of boredom.
    Ever sat in church?
  • -Sleeps too excessively or too little.
    Yeah...well, I don't see how goths do this anymore than Christians.
  • -Is excessively awake during the night.
    See above.
  • -Dislikes sunlight or any other form of light. (This pertains to vampires promoting the idea that His light is of no use.)
    I don't see every Christian out sunbathing either.
  • -Demands an unusual amount of privacy.
    "Unusual"? Define unusual. What goes on in the Vatican never gets out; is that "unusual"?
  • -Spends large amounts of time alone.
    They call it "prayer". (Of course, they're not alone; they're with God. Suuuuuuure...)
  • -Requests time alone and quietness. (This is so that your child may speak to evil sprits.)
    See above. And God is a spirit, and, considering how it's let humanity run wild, it's pretty sadistic.
  • -Insists on spending time with friends while unaccompanied by an adult.
    Have you ever heard of a "youth group"?
  • -Disregards authority figures; teachers, priests, nuns and

It's what the Protestant Reformation was all about.
  • -Misbehaves at school.
    Oh, and all Christians are model students.
  • -Misbehaves at home.
    Domestic violence is big in the South.
  • -Eats excessively or too little.
    So is obesity.
  • -Eats goth-related foods. Count Chocula cereal is an example of this.
    Umm...yeah. Moving on...
  • -Drinks blood or expresses an interest in drinking blood.
    (Vampires believe this is how to attain Satan. This act is very dangerous and should be stopped immediately.)

OYG. Remind me what the wine at Communion represeents? ANYBODY?
  • -Watches cable television or any other corrupted media sources. (Ask your local church for proper programs that your child may watch.)
    And the Trinity Broadcast Network isn't on cable?
  • -Plays videos games that contains violence or role-playing nature.
    So does EVERYBODY.
  • -Uses the internet excessively and frequently makes time for the computer.
    I think that FSTDT proves once and for all that there are plenty of Christians on the Internet.
  • -Makes Satanic symbols and/or violently shakes head to music.
    If a Christian does this, they're "in the rapture".
  • -Dances to music in a provocative manner.
    And I suppose everyone in strip clubs is atheist.
  • -Is homosexual and/or bisexual.
    What about all those priests molesting little boys?
  • -Pursues dangerous cult religions. Such include: Satanism, Scientology, Philosophy, Paganism, Wicca, Hinduism and Buddhism.
    Oh, Christianity isn't dangerous. Those little Crusade-thingies didn't mean anything.
  • -Wears pins, stickers or anything else that contains these various phrases: "I'm so gothic, I'm dead", "woe is me", "I'm a goth".
    Once again, "WWJD?", the slogan of loss of control of bodily functions.
Alright, there you have it. Christians are goth, by their own admission. Wait, what's this?

• -Claims to be a goth.
Oops. Well, everyone, you can see that, since they don't claim to be Goth, Christians fit only 38 out of 39 categories. *sigh*  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:20 pm
The thing that makes me laugh the most is philosophy is a dangerous cult... it isn't even one set of beliefs, it can't be a cult, and it is the love of knowledge. The love of knowledge is dangerous to christianity alright...  

lordloki11

Syrenka

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:05 pm
Too funny. xd

Doubting the authenticity, but funny as hell (hell is funny?), I'll give it that.

Also seems like this flyer needs to broaden its bad-horrible-stereotyped-vision-o-scope to EVERY DAMNED STEREOTYPE OUT THERE.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:26 am
You mean, this is REAL? I've seen this more times than I cared to count on the internet (I'd be surprised if no one else here has), but your local church actually sent this out on flyers? eek  

The MoUsY spell-checker

FalseDiagnosis

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:16 am
That is too funny to be true.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items