Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
The Freya Dress

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

want some gold?
  yes
  do I have a choice?
View Results

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:16 pm
ok. SO I just found out that I payed a S*** load of money for tafetta LINING! NOT TAFETTA! TAFETTA LIIINNNIIIINNNGGGG! So . . . here is the dress that was made for me. Is there any real way to alter this stuff? Someone had told me that it's impossible to alter. I can also see where my commissioner messed up on the lining. There are holes in the dress from where she had to rip out the thread. Does this dress look ok or should I do something to it?

User Image

User Image

there was also a problem witht the left breast . . . she like . . . sewed it straight and so it doesn't curve and makes my breast look WAY flat . . . can you guys even tell unless you're REALLY looking?  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:34 pm
now that you mention it, it does look a bit flat

i'm sorry babe  

ryoaie

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:10 pm
Unfortunately the breast is rather noticeable, sorry. If it's possible take it back to her and point out the flaws. If she's any sort of decent person she will fix it without charging more. If she doesn't, let her know that you will not be recommending her services then take it to a tailor and see what they can do.
It's a lovely dress if you don't count the obvious flaws and fixed it will look stunning on you.

Vindictive little me would take pictures of the flaws, make a collage out of them and then add her name to the bottom of the collage. Something like "This dress made by "such and such".  
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:33 pm
I'm so sorry, but yeah... the breast flatness is pretty noticeable even in blurry pictures.

It's a beautiful dress otherwise. Hopefully, she'll fix it.

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:35 pm
XDDD. This sucks monkey. I was thinking about taking it to a tailor and asking them to fix it because she lives in France. I do have some sewing ability and if the stuff was so fragile I would do it myself. . . . any ideas on any good tailors . . . wait . . . none of you live near me. Damn . . . can you find tailors in a phone book?  
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:13 pm
Usually you can find tailors in a phone book. Also try under alterations. Ask your drycleaner, some do it on site, others have people they will refer you to.
The lady who does alterations in my community is awesome. She's replaced a few broken zippers on my daughter's jeans and you can't tell that they were replaced when she's done. And she does it inexpensively. I think we paid $5 to have two zippers repaired last time. Even after I get a new sewing machine I still plan to take broken zippers to her.
I hope you find someone to fix your dress. *crosses fingers for you*  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:20 pm
-headdesk- I really hope I can find someone that can fix this . . . if not . . . it looks like I'm gonna have to order or make a new dress myself crying  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:10 am
honestly since she lives in france i would email her pictures of the flaws, and ask her either to A) fix the dress or B) refund your money. And did she say it was taffeta? Cuz if its not taffeta then its false advertising and you should point out to her that you paid for taffeta not taffeta lining. And definitely DONT let anyone order from her again.  

gemini6184

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:49 pm
I'm not even sure how in the hell she thought it was tafetta. If I can find the fabric, I think I'll fix it myself and redo the whole top. It's wrong anyways. Here's an image to show you what I mean:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It's a really low cut top with kind of a lace on it. Any suggestions for that?

She's not a normal commissioner. I asked her to do the dress. Honestly, the other dress that I had seen her make and the quality and everything, doesn't match what she made here. I know she makes her own costumes, but you would never have guessed that she had made my dress. If I can get Jessica into her dress I'll show you what hers looks like. From what her mom is saying, it's worse. I won't let anyone get near her costuming . . . if someone tells me they're doing one from her . . . I'll hiss at them.

As for the repairs I now plan on doing to this costume, How do you gather exactly? I've seen something where it says to run the longest stitching that your sewing machine allows through the fabric and then pull on it and that gathers it . . . is that right? I've tries gathering like that before and it didn't work.  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:30 pm
This is how I do ruffles:

Get a piece of thread about 1 foot more than you're desired length of ruffle. Thread your sewing needle. Just do a running stitch like this along the top of the fabric where the ruffle will meet the skirt:
Then pin your ruffles to your skirt. You should remove the thread you used to make the ruffles after you're done sewing, but it should be left in until then.

It's probably easier than figuring out how to do it on the sewing machine.

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:59 pm
wouldn't I need to sew on the ruffles first? or put them on? that doesn't makes sense to me . . . so I put the thread on where the ruffle is gonna meet the fabric BEFORE putting on the ruffle? but then how would it like . . . ruffle? Do I need to pull on the thread or what? So . . . . . . . . . confused . . . . . . . eek  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:11 pm
I tried to draw a picture, but my handwriting sucks. Sorry.

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:30 pm
So I add one foot of fabric and thread or just one of those. Thanks for the picture. It makes more sense to me now.  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:05 pm
sakurachan61123
So I add one foot of fabric and thread or just one of those. Thanks for the picture. It makes more sense to me now.
Not for the ruffle. Add as much as you want. Less fabric = less ruffle. More fabric = more ruffle. But either way, 1 foot should be sufficient for a ruffle. 3nodding  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces