Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So... Many... Funditicians... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:00 am
Arrrgh!

If you're ever watched an election year clip of Alabama television, you would see more fundie in said clip than you would find in a bible belt church on any given Sunday.

EVERY. SINGLE. Cantidate for Cheif Justice broadcasting down here is against gay marriage, against women's choice of abortion, and worst of all: They forget seperation of church and state.

So... anyone else feeling motivated to move to the Netherlands?  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:03 am
addseale2
Arrrgh!

If you're ever watched an election year clip of Alabama television, you would see more fundie in said clip than you would find in a bible belt church on any given Sunday.

EVERY. SINGLE. Cantidate for Cheif Justice broadcasting down here is against gay marriage, against women's choice of abortion, and worst of all: They forget seperation of church and state.

Meh. forget Netherlands, move to the UK! Most christians are old people, so don't argue with athiests that much. Election campaigns completely forget religion for the most part. Except for the BNP and other extremests being anti-muslim and all that.

I really don't get fundies, though. How can you take every word of the bible as literal when there are so many contradictions?

My mind was boggled anyway this afternoon. now my brain is beginning to hurt *blames fundies, not vodka*

Muaethia

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:58 am
addseale2
Arrrgh!

They can forget Seperation of Church and State if they want. It doesn't make the thing go away.

It is kind of like fire. If you turn your back on fire, the fire will only get stronger. The campfire becomes an Inferno...and thus is a Wild-Fire.

If they turn thier back on the Seperation of Church and State, the seperation will become stronger. They can try all they want to undermine the barrier that protects religious freedoms. As long as people have the right to practice different religions, I think that people will have the right to be athiest.

When Fundies take thier stuff to the gov't, and start raising a hissy fit it can only strengthen the Seperation of Church and State(In my theory).

In any case look at Pat Robertson for example. He tried to run for President a few elections back. He lost the race and somehow got stripped of his ability to hold a gov't position.

Don't move to the Netherlands or the UK. Move to Australia...that place is awsome. mrgreen

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:13 am
Sanguvixen
Don't move to the Netherlands or the UK. Move to Australia...that place is awsome. mrgreen

Actually, don't move to Australia. Most things in Australia are expensive. I live in Sydney, and I find most things here much more expensive than they are in Hong Kong (where I came from), and I know someone in the US who has been to Hong Kong, and he said that things in Hong Kong are expensive (although he might just be referring to housing - that IS expensive in Hong Kong because it's a crowded place), so things in Australia would be REALLY expensive compared to the US.

Also, the internet connection here is really slow. There's only up to 1.5 Mbps connection available here because we still use copper wires. (No optic fibres. stare ) I only have a 512 kbps connection (no extra costs, but slowed down to 64kbps for the rest of the month if I use more than 10GB in a month). (1.5 Mbps is too expensive.) If there's one thing I miss from Hong Kong, it's the 3 Mbps (unlimited usage) connection (and the monthly fee is only a third of the price of the one I have here).  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:16 am
The MoUsY spell-checker
Sanguvixen

Actually, don't move to Australia. Most things in Australia are expensive. I live in Sydney, and I find most things here much more expensive than they are in Hong Kong (where I came from), and I know someone in the US who has been to Hong Kong, and he said that things in Hong Kong are expensive (although he might just be referring to housing - that IS expensive in Hong Kong because it's a crowded place), so things in Australia would be REALLY expensive compared to the US.

Also, the internet connection here is really slow. There's only up to 1.5 Mbps connection available here because we still use copper wires. (No optic fibres. stare ) I only have a 512 kbps connection (no extra costs, but slowed down to 64kbps for the rest of the month if I use more than 10GB in a month). (1.5 Mbps is too expensive.) If there's one thing I miss from Hong Kong, it's the 3 Mbps (unlimited usage) connection (and the monthly fee is only a third of the price of the one I have here).

Wow...I didn't know all that.

When I referred to Australia being awsome I was referring to the Wild-life. I love being around wild-life, which is why I think living in Austraila would be neat. Some of the most interesting animals live there.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:56 pm
I live in the Bible Belt, and I hate all of the close-minded conservative-ness.
I honestly believe churches here brainwash people.  

FalseDiagnosis

Bowmore

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:31 pm
The farthest south I've ever been is West Virginia, and I hated it there. I would be afraid to wear an undojesus.com or a Bad Religion shirt in places like Alabama, for fear of being attacked or shot at.  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:21 pm
{points at steeples of various southern baptist churches within sight}
Welcome to the uber-conservative bible-belt suburbia I call home. x_x  

iviary

xorflex

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:33 pm
someday, when I have the money, I plan to build my own small island in international waters and declare it an independant nation. That way I will be my own government and I won't have to worry about religion  
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:29 am
Bowmore
The farthest south I've ever been is West Virginia, and I hated it there. I would be afraid to wear an undojesus.com or a Bad Religion shirt in places like Alabama, for fear of being attacked or shot at.

No really?

I have to live down here, and believe me, you pretty much HAVE to keep shut up. There IS no social union of atheists, because we'd be stormed down in riot.

Oh, and did I mention that EVERY. SINGLE. SOLITARY. community event is held by the churches? They even have most of the local yard sales. stare  

Tenth Speed Writer

Muaethia

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:33 am
addseale2
Bowmore

No really?

I have to live down here, and believe me, you pretty much HAVE to keep shut up. There IS no social union of atheists, because we'd be stormed down in riot.

Oh, and did I mention that EVERY. SINGLE. SOLITARY. community event is held by the churches? They even have most of the local yard sales. stare

Seriously? I'd well hate to live somewhere like that. The worst we get is people shouting about jesus in the nearest big city (about 40 minutes train journey away), and although there are loaaads of churches around here, it only seems to be old people who are christians, and few are conservative. Even my grandparents aren't that much, and they are old and baptists. Saying that, a lot of old people live near here generally, so perhaps it's not out of proportion...

I don't know anyone my age, anyway, who is openly very religious. But I don't know anyone who is openly completely athiest. No-one really cares about what to believe/not to xd

Everyone seems to take the middle ground where I live, either "sitting on the fence" (not sure and isn't really bothered), people who believe in a god but don't really agree with organised religion, and a few people who just go along with christianity because they can't be arsed to do anything else and their families are into it.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:15 pm
Yet ANOTHER reason to move to England.  

DivideByZero14

Muaethia

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:47 am

Ahhh, I love the education system over here. We don't have to do that pledge thing in schools, either, or pray (unless the schools are primary schools, where the majority call themselves 'R.C primary school' or ''C of E school' (roman catholic or church of england)).

(do double brackets make sense? I use them too much).

The website
While 19 per cent of Britons attended a weekly religious service in 1980, by 1999 that had fallen to 7 per cent - prompting some to argue that RE should be scrapped as a compulsory subject. Secularists say there is little point trying to drum religion into sceptical children at school.

Once all of the traditional-religious old people die out, I rekon we're going to be the first christian-free country in the developed world 3nodding

Ahh, but Muslims, Hindus, and Sikhs will almost certainly keep worshiping. Meh, give it 5 generations or so, we'll be a nation of agnostics and athiests.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:17 pm
addseale2

I believe it is our Atheistic duty to stay and uphold common sense and freedom of religion in the U.S.A.  

LleuLlawGyfes

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:52 pm
LleuLlawGyfes
addseale2

I believe it is our Atheistic duty to stay and uphold common sense and freedom of religion in the U.S.A.

I was actually quite dead set on letting it all crumble under its own weight, then coming back to clean up the mess. =)  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff