Submit

Zeek Slider

Hopeless Man-Lover

28,040 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:00 pm
Let me set up an scenario for you guys, if I may.

It is the half-way point of class. The teacher says that we will be doing the last assignment for the day, and we get all set up and everything.

Then she says that she doesn't think she will make it through the rest of the class. Everyone's ears turn at attention. She apparently got the Spring Flu from either another student or a fellow facilty member. Class doesn't end for 45 minutes, but that can be a long time for someone just coming down the the flu.

Anyawy, the class gets to work. About 10 minutes into the assignment, the teacher bails without telling anyone.

A couple minutes more, one student notices that the teacher isn't coming back, and so bails as well.

Then one more a few minutes after that. Then two more, then one more until there are only three students left in the entire class.

Two of the students begin talking about how the younger students that bailed obviously don't care about their education because "Mommy is paying for it, even if they take out a loan." Both of these students are the older of the class members. Let's say their age is well into their mid-40's and early-50's.

Naturally, I get offended, but I keep my mouth shut.

Well, the three students continue their work for about another five minutes. Push comes to shove and the person that made the "Mommy is paying for it" comment gets aggitated some more and quits for the day. Class has yet to end for about another 15 minutes.

After that, the other two student's follow suit.

Question: Who is in the wrong here? The teacher for not telling us class is technically over because she is no longer capable of teaching? The students for leaving (myself included)? Or the one student that talked about the other younger students behind their backs after they left?

Personally, I don't know what to think any more. Anyone that has read my blog knows I lost faith in humanity when I saw a news report about a five year old getting arrested and tossed into the back of a police car for throwing a temper tantrum in school. stare  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:22 pm
The person who talked about the other students. Especially since that person also left before class ended.  

Vickicat

Shy Poster

13,115 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Cart Raider 100

Andy1989

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:28 pm
I'd have to say the person that was being hypocritical. It's bad enough to talk to someone behind their backs, but then go and do exactly what they do that they commented rudely on? That's that wrong. And the teacher good have at least gave some kind of sign that she wasn't going to come back...Like just say, 'Class dismissed' before she ran out...But the teacher isn't the worst person in the scenario. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:31 pm
Hmmm... the question doesn't seem to be so much "right and wrong" here. The teacher warned the class that she might have to go, even if she didn't really tell you she was leaving for the day. She may not have known that she would be gone for the rest of class. She might have just wanted to step out and get some fresh air, and then had a sudden surge of painful illness that made her have to leave immediately without being able to tell the rest of the class. You don't really know, so you shouldn't ask if she's right or wrong.

Secondly, students tend to be lazy. You can't blame them for wanted to get out of class early, though they should have waited at least 15-30 minutes before bailing out. It's not "wrong" to want to leave a classroom, especially if you're just doing some boring busy-work that they could do in their room (though they probably would get distracted and still not do it until the last minute). They should have waited longer, but it's their money, for the majority of the class (probably).

Lastly, I find it ironic (though not wrong) that the elderly student that talked bad about the other students actually left before class time was up, though s/he may have actually finished her/his work early. I still think that after that kind of talk, they could have waited for the end of class to back themselves up and not just leave. They were very hypocritical. I will admit that talking behind others' backs is a very bad thing to do, but dwelling on it isn't goign to help matters. You should just avoid those kind of people because they are usually the types to talk about their "friends" behind their backs.

As for the 5 year old that got arrested... WTF?!!??! stressed stare  

Atma311

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Sui Kune

Moonlight Lunatic

10,100 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:32 pm
I second Vickicat. 3nodding

*sigh* And I'm starting to lose faith in humanity, too. I mean, there is good in just about every person, but the sheer STUPIDITY in a TON of people is mind-boggling. Especially in the US.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:35 pm
Atma311
Read and be shocked.  

Zeek Slider

Hopeless Man-Lover

28,040 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Cash Grabber 500

Atma311

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:41 pm
ZeekSlider
Atma311
Read and be shocked.

The stupidity I just read has put me over the limit for my daily amount needed to realize that we as human beings have a lot of growing to do still. Maybe I should stay away from a few specific forums (GD) today...  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:52 pm
ZeekSlider
Atma311
Read and be shocked.

As mean as this sounds, I think the appropriate actions were taken. I mean, that is one HELL of a temper tantrum, and it could indicate that the parents either haven't been disciplining the kid properly, choose to ignore the problem, or even both. While being arrested probably wasn't the best choice, the kid did need to be disciplined for her actions. How else would a kid learn right from wrong? As strange as this would sound, I never did understand the "spare the whip, spoil the child" philosophy of today. Not to say I'd beat kids, of course I wouldn't, but sometimes stuff like spanking is called for (it does work, I do remember being a little kid). And if kids are given chores, it teaches them responsibility and a work ethic. I know, I'm oddly old-fashioned. o.x;

Edit: I'm not completely old-fashioned, I certainly aren't a right-wingest, I'm a lot farther to the left, though I am fairly center on most views. I usually keep an unbiased view on things, even on media-hyped stories; for instance, I believe Scott Peterson to be innocent until I see what evidence and such is against him. Maybe I'd make a fair judge.  

Sui Kune

Moonlight Lunatic

10,100 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Zeek Slider

Hopeless Man-Lover

28,040 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:36 pm
Sui, I think the whole idea of not spanking kids today is just a generational rebelian against the preivous generation that spanked them.

I was spanked, and it worked for the most part. Not afraid to admit that.

However, not all hope is lost in modern child dislipin. Remember the mother that sold all her kids toys on eBay because they didn't behave?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:03 pm
ZeekSlider
Sui, I think the whole idea of not spanking kids today is just a generational rebelian against the preivous generation that spanked them.

I was spanked, and it worked for the most part. Not afraid to admit that.

However, not all hope is lost in modern child dislipin. Remember the mother that sold all her kids toys on eBay because they didn't behave?

*nodnod* Right, and some people think spanking is "cruel". Spanking is hardly cruel; beating a kid into a pulp is cruel. Cruelty is purposely torturing and injuring someone. People shouldn't be so overprotective of their kids, I think; they shouldn't rely on books and loads of other crap to tell them what to do. I mean, reading about it is one thing, but totally relying on it is another. Nothing's better than experience and knowledge from older adults, your parents, for instance. I'd say use books for some reference, and to get an idea of how to treat some illnesses and such, but NOT as something to be completely dependant on. You're the parent, not the book, and the word of "experts" isn't exactly the word of gods. Every kid is different, so treat that accordingly, no "expert"'s way is a streamlined way to raise every kid. If today's generation of parents listen to their previous generations, they could learn a lot. Experience tells a lot more than "expert" theory and books ever can.

Sheesh, how do I know all this? sweatdrop  

Sui Kune

Moonlight Lunatic

10,100 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Zeek Slider

Hopeless Man-Lover

28,040 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:02 pm
Sui Kune

Sheesh, how do I know all this? sweatdrop
Because it's exactly what your parents probably told you. whee  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:13 pm
I was thunderstruck when I read the last few lines of that report. "They set my baby up?" No! Your kid is a @(*&$^-ing brat, that's what! And the only thing the people in charge could think of to do was THAT! And still, they're gonna get sued.

I'm so glad I'm through with the incompetent school system, the brats within, and the negligent parents. Ugh.  

Akahana

Ulfheonar Shapechanger

Lupine Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:17 pm
...spanking is considered "cruel"? confused When the hell did this happen? Personally, I think the world is slowing being choked by its own stupidity.

"Faith in people"=0 now.

Ah, to the topic. Personally, the person talking behind the others back was very stupid/unjustified/whatever in my opinion. The fact that they then did the exact same thing really dosnt help them either. xp  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:29 pm
Akahana
I was thunderstruck when I read the last few lines of that report. "They set my baby up?" No! Your kid is a @(*&$^-ing brat, that's what! And the only thing the people in charge could think of to do was THAT! And still, they're gonna get sued.

I'm so glad I'm through with the incompetent school system, the brats within, and the negligent parents. Ugh.

I'm in college and I still have to deal with brats... they just get worse when they are actually older and can drive. I swear... they're all total morons!  

Atma311

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Akahana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:04 pm
Atma311

I'm in college and I still have to deal with brats... they just get worse when they are actually older and can drive. I swear... they're all total morons!

Yeah, I guess its safe to simply say that people in general =teh suck. Sad, but true. gonk

Edit:Relevant LJ entry:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/kt_kat/54308.html?nc=4  
Pokémon Defenders

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas