Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Living Fossils:

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Horseshoe Crab is closely related to:
  A spider crab
  A horse
  A tick
  Mmmm...Fried Chicken!
  A Pollwhore
View Results

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:04 pm

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12875772/?GT1=8199

Shrimplike creature was thought to have gone extinct 60 million years ago

PARIS - French scientists who explored the Coral Sea said Friday they discovered a new species of crustacean that was thought to have become extinct 60 million years ago.

The "living fossil," a female designated Neoglyphea neocaledonica, was discovered 1,312 feet (400 meters) under water during an expedition in the Chesterfield Islands, northwest of New Caledonia, the National Museum of Natural History and the Research Institute for Development said in a statement.

Another so-called living fossil from the Neoglyphea group was discovered in 1908 in the Philippines by the U.S. Albatross, a research vessel. It remained unidentified until 1975, when two French scientists from the natural history museum identified and named it Neoglyphea inopinata. More of the creatures were then found in expeditions to the Philippines between 1976 and 1984.

In October, marine biologist Philippe Bouchet and Bertrand Richer De Forges found the new species of the same living fossil group while trolling an undersea plateau in a remote area between Australia and New Caledonia.

Bouchet, in a telephone interview with The Associated Press, described the nearly 5-inch (12-centimeter) creature as "halfway between a shrimp and a mud lobster." Its huge eyes, reddish spots and thickset body distinguished it from the 1908 crustacean.

The huge eyes suggest that light plays a role in the behavior of the creature, which could actively hunt prey, Bouchet said.

With the Coral Sea discovery, "the group is less completely extinct than was thought," he said.

Beyond the intrinsic value of the discovery, the marine biologist said he had been working in the region for two decades before coming across the elusive creature, underscoring that "there are places on this planet incredibly remote and little explored."

The discovery "conveys a message that, in the first years of the 21st century, the exploration of planet Earth is not over," Bouchet said.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11746910/

Rodent had been thought to have died out 11 million years ago

A few months after researchers on one team thought they had discovered a new family of rodent, another group snatched their glory by identifying the critter as a member of a family thought long extinct.

Last year scientists described the body of a squirrel-like rodent found for sale in a meat market in Laos. They believed it belonged to a previously undescribed family and named it Laonastes aenigmamus.

But they failed to fully inspect the fossil record. Upon closer analysis of the creature's teeth, a second group of researchers determined it was a member of the previously known rodent family Diatomyidae.

So a family thought to have died out 11 million years ago is still alive and kicking, the scientists report in the March 10 issue of the journal Science.

Back from the dead
The discovery is an example of what scientists call the "Lazarus effect," a situation when an animal known only through the fossil record is found living.

Perhaps the best known example of the Lazarus effect is the coelacanth, a lobe-finned fish discovered off the coast of South Africa that scientists thought died out at least 65 million years ago.

Most examples of the Lazarus effect in mammals, though, only go back 10,000 years or so.

"It is an amazing discovery and it's the coelacanth of rodents," said study coauthor Mary Dawson of the Carnegie Museum of Natural History. "It's the first time in the study of mammals that scientists have found a living fossil of a group that's thought to be extinct for roughly 11 million years. That's quite a gap. Previous mammals had a gap of only a few thousand to just over a million years."

Laonastes is currently in the process of being officially reclassified in the Diatomyidae family.

Diatomyidae were squirrel-sized rodents that lived during the middle Tertiary period 34 million to 11 million years ago in southern Asia, central China, and Japan. They also had highly characteristic molar teeth and jaw structure, which is how the researchers reclassified Laonastes.

A recently discovered fossil of Laonastes matched the "living" specimen in skull shape and overall size. The only difference is that the "living" specimen's teeth are slightly more pointed.

"It looks like possibly one of the things that's been changing in family is improved cutting of vegetation," Dawson told LiveScience. "But over 11 million years you'd expect some differences in the structures."

Western scientists still haven't seen a living Laonastes specimen, which will be critical in conserving what may be a threatened species.

"Biologists need to get out there and find some living ones," Dawson said.

Finding living specimens and understanding how they live could be key to determining why the rodents moved from central Asia into the Indian subcontinent.

I've always been fascinated by the term "Living Fossil". I think most people know about the coelacanth, and the Horseshoe Crab as being living fossils, but rodents, and shrimp?

The whole thing has always fascinated me. So in anycase, what is your take on these living fossils, or on other ancient animals that existed during or before the Dinsoaur Era?

Discussion Tags(for those who need it):

Talk about dinosaurs.
What is your favorite dinosaur?
If you could have a dinosaur as a pet which one would it be?
What is your favorite living fossil?
What is your favorite dinosaur movie?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:37 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I think I'd have one of these little {6-9 ft} cuties, and name him Phil. biggrin  

iviary

Muaethia

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:54 am
I want a purple dinosaur.

He will be knee-height and eat only vetetable-type leftovers and leaves.

He shall be called Dominic.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:54 am
I think a pet Compthonathus would be cute. Either that or a Velocirapter which despite what you see in the Jurassic Park movies, are only about the size of a small wolf.

Sanguvixen

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:05 pm
Sanguvixen
I think a pet Compthonathus would be cute. Either that or a Velocirapter which despite what you see in the Jurassic Park movies, are only about the size of a small wolf.

Google doesn't turn up anything with the search "compthonathus"...is that spelled right?  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:39 pm

Velociraptor. I'd have a ton of them and walk around the neighborhood.

I think I saw something on tv about a fossil they've found. It's something like a fish but it was adapted for life in very shallow water as well. Another part in evolution.
I think this was it >.>

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Muaethia

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:48 am
I had a dream abot a fish last night. I was training it to use a litter tray and sleep in a cat basket, and then suddenly I was in a haunted house, with a railway line running through it and it was 1am and it was dark, and my friend's boyfriend was crying, and he bought her some shoes, and then people started shouting stuff out in capital letters and it was infectious and bad talk2hand

(I think my mind is a bit disturbed like that, and i'm gonig off topic now so i'll shut up)

But yeah, setting dinasaurs on your nemeses would be fun xd

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:00 pm
DivideByZero14
Sanguvixen

Google doesn't turn up anything with the search "compthonathus"...is that spelled right?

Sorry...I spelled it wrong.

It is Procompsognathus....Compy for short...it is that tiny creature that attacks the girl in the beginning of the movie Lost World: Jurassic Park.

http://leute.server.de/frankmuster/P/Procompsognathus2.jpg

Sanguvixen

FalseDiagnosis

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:57 am
I think cockroaches are cute.
I want a dodo bird! or maybe some sort of small dinosaur so I could go around my neighborhood walking it, without it being able to overpower me.  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:49 pm
Why is it that all the "fossils we find are small and....well.....unimpressive. Why can't we find something bigger, uglier, and all around cooler. I'll just wait until we clone that T-Rex.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:25 pm
Dathu
Why is it that all the "fossils we find are small and....well.....unimpressive. Why can't we find something bigger, uglier, and all around cooler. I'll just wait until we clone that T-Rex.

They have t-rex tissues and cells. xD
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050321/trex.html

An almost complete t-rex skeleton was found years ago too. I think that's the one named "Sue."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:40 pm
c a u s t i c
Dathu

They have t-rex tissues and cells. xD
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050321/trex.html

An almost complete t-rex skeleton was found years ago too. I think that's the one named "Sue."

Yep...Sue it is.

You all do know that the T-Rex is no longer the largest carnivorous dinosaur right?

In competition is Spinosaurus whose only skeleton was bigger than Sue, but was lost during transport during WWII I believe. The ship that had it as cargo was sunk by a sub. Giganotosaurus is bigger than Spinosaurus:

Spinosaurus: http://www.dinoworld.net/spino.htm

Giganotosaurus: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/dinosaurs/dinos/Giganotosaurus.html

Sanguvixen

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:12 pm
Sanguvixen
DivideByZero14
Sanguvixen

Sorry...I spelled it wrong.

It is Procompsognathus....Compy for short...it is that tiny creature that attacks the girl in the beginning of the movie Lost World: Jurassic Park.

http://leute.server.de/frankmuster/P/Procompsognathus2.jpg

Oooh! Those are my favorites, too! Put me down for two or three.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:17 pm
boop boo doop

VELOCIRAPTOR!!
lol
Even though the Jurrasic Park ones arent real, I'd have one of those. Give it a saddle. Hmmm.... featherless chocobo, wouldn't you think?  

ChocoChan

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:14 pm
ChocoChan
boop boo doop

VELOCIRAPTOR!!
lol
Even though the Jurrasic Park ones arent real, I'd have one of those. Give it a saddle. Hmmm.... featherless chocobo, wouldn't you think?

Velociraptors are actually about wolf sized...they are not as big as portrayed in the movies. The only rapter known to reach those sizes are called Utahrapters. The first fossilized remains were found shortly after the makers of Jurrasic Park started thier filming.

They kept the name Velociraptor because it sounded fiercer. In reality the critters you see tearing people apart are Utahrapters...and are too small. Utahrapters grow to be Polar Bear sized.

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games