Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which one?
  Photoshop
  Photoshop CS2
  Elements4
  Other... (Explain in post)
View Results

Uchiha_Sasuke8520

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:17 am
I was wondering if any of you have opinions on products.

Which should I get to start?
Photoshop Ver. ....
Photoshop CS2
Photoshop Elements4

Any suggestions on other good products?  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:52 pm
well it all depends on what you plan on doing, and on what level - hobby, profesional, student, and of course how much money do you can/want to spend.

from the cs type programs quite good is -corel paintshoppro (much cheaper, but isn't a standard in the industry as ps, and is in some parts worse than ps)

there is freeware -gimp - which some like, some hate - it hasn't got as much abilities as ps or psp but is quite good too

Catani

Uchiha_Sasuke8520

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:09 pm
Catani
well it all depends on what you plan on doing, and on what level - hobby, profesional, student, and of course how much money do you can/want to spend.

from the cs type programs quite good is -corel paintshoppro (much cheaper, but isn't a standard in the industry as ps, and is in some parts worse than ps)

there is freeware -gimp - which some like, some hate - it hasn't got as much abilities as ps or psp but is quite good too
I tried gimp and one was one of the people who didn't like it.

Right now it is more of a hobby so which do you suggest off of that?  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:41 pm
If its a hobby for the moment and you're not rolling in cash, I'd say go for either Photoshop Elements (whatever the latest version is) or Photoshop 7. CS2 is a great tool but its crazy expensive, and if you're not working professionally it might not be worth it for the extra tools. As someone who's used all three there isn't a huge amount of difference between 7, CS1 and CS2, and the main differences are most beneficial for photographers and people who do photo editing, from what I can see. You should be able to get a second hand copy of Photoshop 7 at a fairly cheap price.

I haven't used Elements much, but for graphic design and digital artwork its still very good, is significantly cheaper than the full version of Photoshop, and you don't have to chance buying it secondhand. If you want to do a lot of heavy photo editing it might not be the best, but for basics it really has everything you need.

If you're more of an artist coming from a traditional media background, you might want to try Painter, which I haven't tried but have heard good things about biggrin

It all really depends on what you want to do with it and how much money you have to spend. You can download trial versions of most of these programs though, why not try them out and see how you go? Most trials have all functions and a 30 day time limit, so they should give you a pretty good idea of what they're capable of.  

Chisa
Vice Captain

Catani

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:16 am
i concur

well you could try psp which is probably something like ps elements or maybe a little better, but if you think about getting in to working with it seriously - the ps elements/7 is better choise

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:33 am
Alright, thank you both so much!!!

I will probably look for PS7 or Elements, my Mom said she would get which one I would like for me so, I will look them through and see which one is better for me!

Thank you so much again!  

Uchiha_Sasuke8520

candee-addict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:28 pm
Photoshop CS2  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:15 am
Catani

hangon don't call gimp freeware, it's opensource, isn't it?  

miksago

Catani

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:20 am
miksago
Catani

yup that's right but i meant more of a "free of use" than actual licensing details  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:54 pm
Well my Mom bought me Elements4 so I will see how that works!  

Uchiha_Sasuke8520

miksago

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:10 pm
Catani
miksago
Catani

yup that's right but i meant more of a "free of use" than actual licensing details

Fair enough.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:14 am
I would most definitely say download The Gimp. Its free, and has much of the same functionality as PhotoShop, even a few add-ons. You can get it at webattack.com under freeware  

Captain Tatsuhiro

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff