Reply Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild
Kaori Yuki>>>The Others

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

.velare.]~[.nero.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:00 am
I don't think I have ever read/seen anything like Kaori Yuki's work before. Totaly original. However, could you list some titles that have the same kinda gothic era about 'em? I have a lot with gothic artstyles, but just curious to see what other people read ^_^

>>Kaori Yuki is still my #1 manga-ka

Yes, anyways-- I noticed many people don't type in this group. Well, not since I've joined anyway. Type people!! XD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:31 am
Goth has this wierd feeling.... It's not set in the victorian era or something like that, but it's very... Oh, I don't know. The artstyle is great anyway, and the story is just so... creepy.
It really creeped me out when I read it... O_o I love it! heart  

Sonoshi
Crew

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:50 pm
::ponders, then gives up and goes to look at collection::
You could try Alichino...theres already a thread here about it...but if you like that kind of romantic but fatalistic atmosphere, its for you, coupled with aesthetics out the wazoo. We're talking pretty for the sake of pretty.

Clover has Alichino's surrealism. Clean lines and bold contrasts between light and dark, very beautiful with the same kind of grandiose larger-than-life plots CLAMP (and at times, Kaori Yuki) loves so much.

Blah...I read a lot of shonen or or seinen now...lot of cyberpunk stuff and not goth...

There's DOLL done by the artist of the infamous Gothic Lolita Bible illustrations...Ive never read it, so I dont know how it is, but thats gothic for you.

Death Note for some gothic artwork and morbid themes and questioning of morals and taboos, but its not all frills and lace and eyeliner except for Misa...and maybe L ^_^;

D. Grayman for gothic atmosphere, but that's not the whole package. Lots of other stuff going on there. Fighting evil, questioning ones own powers and humanity, stuff blowing up.

OH...if you want a period piece, try Emma...its about a maid in victorian times :3
I havent read a lot of it, but its cute from what I've seen.
Not dark and creepy, but its Victorian flavored...

Maybe Sequence...its about a guy who finds a vampire and accidentally has his soul bonded with him...

Diabolo...its liscensed...I only read the first two volumes...its got ghosts and demons...its soso -_-;

Lumen Lunae if you want weird and blood and diabolical sadistic baddies and DOOM.

X/1999 if you want DOOM in the greatest degree...

Try Nana is you like punk rock, shoujo drama and high fashion

That's the uh...gothiest kind of stuff I can think of...what I'm reading right now though...

Eyeshield 21, manga about American football...lots and lots of action, off the wall humor, great characters

D. Grayman, so beautiful, its getting more and more popular

Dorohedoro, more like post apocolyptic industrial punk. GOREY, like people being turned inside out gorey. But inexplicably funny and even loveable.

DOGS: Bullets and Carnage. More action, very clean and modern art style. Its just getting under way, really, and we're in the midst of finding out more about the enigmatic characters. Guns guns guns...and a katana. And more guns.

I am following Aku Saga, but Im a chapter or so behind...its a bit hard to understand since my kanji is well...virtually nonexistant...but from what I gather its about an ex soldier turned assassin, vigilant and criminal. At the moment he appears to be embroiled in some kind of civil war. He's on a strange path of whether to help people or save his own hide in the manner he has always done...kill everybody in his way, including innocents who weigh him down. He's also apparently got some crazy strife with his brother and the fact that he's engineered to be a super killer.

I'll shut up now ^_^;;  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:45 pm
Thanks for the great read ideas Sai-kun!

*goes off to add stuff to reading list*  

YGOPaladin

alicelights

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:35 am
Okay, I've got a couple of suggestions here. I assume this thread doesn't have to be limited to the gothic aspect. My suggestions are not gothic. if you only like Kaori Yuki for the shonen ai and the supernatural alone, these probably aren't going to suit you.

Their similarity to Kaori Yuki is in the 'cruel reality' aspect. We all like Kaori Yuki for different reasons - this just happens to be one of my reasons. Showing a non'glossy just-getting-by reality.

"Emma" - Kaoru Mori
19th centuary maid falls in love with the son of a rich family. Ok, doesn't sound all that original right now but... it avoids falling into the obvious cliche's making a nice and realistic romance story... the author also did a lot of period research - and it's more historically acurate than Yuki-sama's! - not meaning to insult Kaori Yuki, though, because I do love her work.

"Upstairs Downstairs" - The 1971 British TV series
This second one is not manga, nor is it an anime - or even Japanese. However, it might appeal to those who like the early contained-story-format of the early Cain books. The first series of 13 episodes take place through 1903 to 1909... It shows the life of the servents and masters inside a single London town house.

However, exspecially the servents are people who have to work together despite personal feelings. There is also a sort of class system amongst the servents themselves. A little bit alice-of-life, a little drama , a little comedy, some more irony and a lot of hard life. it's on DVD and definately avaliable in the USA and various other countries.

Trust me, my descriptions make them sound like they are all about look, history and no substance. It's far from it. If you ever find yourself with the chance, these are well worth a look (or four).  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:41 pm
...Sai, can you read Japanese? Lucky. I've read a volume of Dogs, and the art was so pretty, but not much was scanlated...

The only series that came to mind when I read this thread was a oneshot. Although, a lot of it's shounen-ai/yaoi-ish...hah.

Prince of Monster - Modoru Motoni
I think this has four short stories about a vampire, a werewolf, an android/machine, and a monster. They all seem to follow a cruel/tragic storyline. Also, the artstyle's pretty attractive too. Two of the four stories have sex (if I remember correctly), so...read with caution?

I'm not sure if this will suit a lot of people though. It's been awhile since I read it, too.

Ugh, my brain feels dead, I know there should be more than one gothic-y manga that I've read (other than Kaori-sensei's).  

Bemused Dreamer

Covered-Up Panties

250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:51 pm
Kaori Yuki is very original. She's bold and her manga stands out against all the rest. My other favorite mangaka(s) is/are C.L.A.M.P., for their birthing of some of my favorite anime/manga series(Rayearth, X/1999, Tokyo Babylon, Clover, Wish, and whatnot~). >_> But then again, it's a group of people working together, not just one... They also seem to be the source of all the ANGST! in the world. Like how Square Enix holds all the hairgell... I swear it.

...I'll stop typing now.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:27 am
User Image

Mmm...Model by Lee So-young is pretty good.
It's about vampires.

User Image

MissMoppy

Creator of Destruction

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:36 pm
Petshop of Horrors is a good one, if you like the sort of Twilight Zone feel. There's also Bizenghast, which I'm currently addicted to. Most of the good gothic manga I know of has already been mentioned, but hopefully this adds a little. Hmm....what else? I've heard that Legal Drug could be classified as Goth, though I'm not sure I would say it is. And of course, Lament of the Lamb is lovely.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:11 pm
;O; Kaori Yuki's my new idol.

Hm...gothic mangas...

Anne Freaks is really good :3 So's Witchblade, Witch Hunter Robin, and Vampire Princess Miyu! VPM is one of my favorites heart

Seliece

Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff