Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Upshot - Want/Need some actual conversation? <---Go this way.
Cliques

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarquePinkPaper
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:37 pm
CLIQUE
A small exclusive group of friends or associates.

Are cliques damaging to tweenagers and teenagers?

Do you feel that they're a necessary thing, to help young people feel a part of something?

Or, do you think that these types of groups are damaging to a young person's sense of self?

Maybe even dangerous?

Do you belong to a clique and enjoy it? Have you been in one and don't reccomend it?

Discuss.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:05 am
Cliques will damage people who aren't in any. They'll feel unwanted, except for those who don't want to be in one.

They probably also damage the members' sense of self - they might feel they all have to look like clones to fit in. I guess it affects their individuality.

However, I feel cliques are a necessary evil - people, especially teenagers, when self-esteem is rock-bottom, need to feel a sense of belonging to a "small exclusive group".

I belong to a clique, and we call ourselves the Psychotic Angels. Over the years, one by one, its members have left the country for more... exotic locations. We keep in touch by IM and an online forum, though.

Yeah, I love it.

Alumynia

sildar-god

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:39 pm
cliques are cliquey. i reckon we should start a clique of cliques, heirarcheise them, and start putting them to work for our continued profits..

and if they can't deal with it, they can disband!

i'm not a big fan of people doing things with other people with the intent of disallowing yet others from doing it with them.. i've always been an advocate of "do as much as you an with others, lest they land up doing you" .. or something.

take for instance poi - it's a very cliquey thing to be able to firedance.. you get people oohing and aahing at you, and you lap it up. at least, that's what most people do. i don't like that attitude, prefering to try and teach spectators how to firedance so that they can appreciate the beauty of the act, and so that they aren't left out of the clique.

yeah, i dislike cliques intensely.

Kaleem  
The Upshot - Want/Need some actual conversation? <---Go this way.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games