Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
News to get your blood boiling

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bowmore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:20 pm
So I was poking around the Skeptic's Annotated Bible today and I found this little beauty...

http://www.infidels.org/wire/index.html

You want to see news that will disgust you and inspire you to further denounce not only christianity, but nearly all mainstream religions? Just have a gander at this stuff.

That news site is from the point of view of atheists, so no worries about the name. Internet Infidels: The News Wire, News for freethinkers is a great site if you want to expose hypocrisy and corruption in... well, in just about every mainstream organized religion.

I gotta warn you, it's almost 2:30 right now and I am so disgusted at the things I read that I'm probably not going to be able to calm down about it until about 4. It's just... wow.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:33 am
"So I took the pledge to abstain from sex and have kept my promise to God. I am physically and psychologically pure."

... at least they aren't breeding mini-fundies xd

Which article specifically were you refering to?

Muaethia

Bowmore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:56 am
Oh, not any one in particular -- the majority of them are so offensive to me that I can't read them without feeling the need to spit in disgust. The things that come out of their mouths! Are they even capable of conscious thought anymore, or are they just running on basic instinct?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:06 pm
Mr Bowmore...can I make a suggestion?

Whenever you find threads that you would like for the rest of the guild to see you should seek out the thread that already exists for that.

To bring about good discussion and save this thread I suggest you point out one particular article that disgusts you the most and explain why it disgusts you.

Otherwise this thread really won't go anywhere and will probably die after a few posts.

Sanguvixen

Bowmore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:21 pm
Sorry if a link to that news site has already been posted, I really should have looked around to see if it had already been linked. My apologies.

Anyway, what makes me really angry is the fundies are attempting to infiltrate the world of videogames with this:

http://www.talk2action.org/story/2006/5/29/195855/959

I've been playing video games since I was 2 years old, and a few recurring themes have made themselves apparent to me. One of these is that it is a golden rule that if a game has a christian theme to it, then it is very likely said game is going to suck.

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
Imagine: you are a foot soldier in a paramilitary group whose purpose is to remake America as a Christian theocracy, and establish its worldly vision of the dominion of Christ over all aspects of life. You are issued high-tech military weaponry, and instructed to engage the infidel on the streets of New York City. You are on a mission - both a religious mission and a military mission -- to convert or kill Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, gays, and anyone who advocates the separation of church and state - especially moderate, mainstream Christians. Your mission is "to conduct physical and spiritual warfare"; all who resist must be taken out with extreme prejudice.

It's supposed to be a real-time strategy game. There is a screenshot or two linked in the article. Here's hoping that this game doesn't break the trend of christian games being really shitty.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:12 pm

About the video game thing, this comment is later in the blog article-

QUOTEZ
On the one hand, this video game is anti-American, because it endorses roving death squads engaged in faith-based violence without any regard for Constitutional law. On the other hand, the video game is anti-Christian, because it argues that the Kingdom of God can be advanced by using the methods and tools of the kingdoms of this world, namely guns and bombs.

The Scriptures say, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6) The Scriptures do not say, "Train up a child in the way he should blow away the people of God as well as infidels: and when he is old enough, he will go out and do some killing."

As Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, then my servants would fight that I might not be handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not from here" (Gospel According to John 18:36). As Paul said, "Though we walk in flesh, we do not make war in accordance with the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not fleshly." (2 Corinthians 10:3-4a).

The dominionist Christians pushing this violent video game are modeling neither Christian charity nor patriotism. Both Christians and patriots should oppose them.

I just think it's telling how much some people ignore about their own religion. x.x

The story I found about "Christian Reconstructionists" worries me more, but I think I might make a separate topic on that later since I tend to ramble and it wasn't on the sight you originally linked to.

I read the news story from Turkey. They had a new prime minister who had been trying to push back/limit Turkey's secularism, but it was met with a lot of resistance especially after a secular judge was murdered. He had upheld restrictions on wearing headscarves.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Bowmore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:29 pm
I'll agree with you there, Caustic -- Christian Recreationists or Reconstructionists or whatever they call themselves are scary like nothing else. Their concept and ideals set off a "fight or flight" instinct in me, some sort of primal sense that my life is in danger by being nearing them.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:52 pm
You even kill "moderate christians" in the game. No way it's going to be popular. I mean, how would you advertise something like that?  

Lethkhar

Muaethia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:06 am
It's like Al qaeda- Christian style. It's terrorism, that's what it is. It encourages terrorism. I havn't heard of these "Reconstructionists" before, they sound s**t scary O_o  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games