Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
LAYOUT QUESTION

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aruri_Kasutsuro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:01 pm
designing a booklet 20-30 pages... portrait orientation.. going to be saddle stitched... using indesign cs..

i haven't been given the dimension yet (around 6x9)... but for the inside/facing pages.. are the dimensions going to be larger/smaller/the same? o.O so when it goes to the printer to be trimmed/assembled.. the booklet won't have the pages inside sticking out/too short sweatdrop .. and just general info/details related to this is appreciated..

i've always wondered about this.. and i realize it's a very amaturish question, if i'm alreadly given a project to design something =_=;; but it'd really like to do a good job 3nodding thanks!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:42 am
I just started using InDesign today whee *web designer* With my lack of experience in print I'm not really sure about sizes and things... it might be a good idea to talk to the printer and ask - I've found that most printers are nice with answering questions on how artwork should be provided, since it means less unneccessary work for them in the end.  

Chisa
Vice Captain

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:41 pm
I look forward to using InDesign to help design the yearbook for my college next fall. Right now I'm playing around with PHP, CSS, and Javascript.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:59 am
I went and visited the printing factory, and actually found out what saddle stiching is rolleyes From what they showed me it looks like all the pages including the cover were the same size. Those were all just a few pages though, I'm not sure if it would be any different for a 2-30 page booklet.  

Chisa
Vice Captain

rogue_designer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:12 am
For a booklet of that size, you shouldn't have to worry about the pages sticking out too much. If it's a big issue, you can design with a bit of play in the layout edges and have the press trim the final.

In many cases, it's a non-issue. You design your pages all the same size, and the press adjusts them on the press sheet so that they line up properly when nested for the booklet. (I recommend asking them what they prefer - but usually it's best to leave that to them to control rather than to guess at the size adjustments yourself).

Remember - you'll need to design in page multiples of 4. 20, 24, 28, 32.

Don't hesitate to ask your press questions. Every outsource provider has their own quirks, preferences and workflows. Much better to talk to them while you are designing - then at the end, and realize you have to fix something preventable.  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games